The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for mix critiques, tear it up!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Looking for mix critiques, tear it up!

I originally wrote and recorded this last December, but wanted to get back to it because the vocals weren't great. Ended up redoing all of them (I have a better mic since then too). Ended up rewriting 90% of the drums. Turned out the bass wasn't following the kick at all, and it was just easier to start from scratch. Simple remix turned into a month-long rehash.

I'm pretty happy with it, but would really like some fresh ears on it!

http://www.ourstage.com/tracks/FMVNRTCKAJFK-just-know-now-theres-sun
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hello

I personally think its sounds pretty good. Good guitars, good vocals. Nice overal sound and flow.

Just some small things.

1. The cymbal is disturbing the flow of your drums. It has a pause like effect on me.

2. In the intro you want to much IMHO. The sweep picking and the electric guitar chords are fighting for frequencies.

3. The sax in the intro is really strange. Strange notes, strange timing, strange sound.

4. There is to much going on in the intro and it's to long.

As I said above. Nice song. well done.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

1. Yeah, I'll revisit that. I do want a pause in a few places, but not all

2. I can probably clean it up, I laid down more than I needed here, and I think the bass level is a little high there making the problem worse.

3. The sax is actually a crappy Sears chord organ from the 70's. I mic'd the upper and lowers seperately...which helps in mixing. Just from how it works it sounds different, but I could blend it better with the acoustic fer sure

4. The intro is a bit long, not sure what to do about that. I was thinking of starting from where the tom groove begins.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search