The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Song-low end comment Audio Interfaces
Old 19th December 2010
Song-low end comment

Hi good people

I'm nearly complete with this song mix and am a little uncomfortable with the low end of this track. Any comments on this, or the song in general would be appreciated.

Cheers
Amos
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

What song?
Old 19th December 2010
Song attached

Apparently it was attached when I posted this.
Attached Files

Feels Like Home_mix 1.mp3 (7.00 MB, 81 views)

Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Lovely production on the whole. Reminds me of Jane Siberry, both in term of vocal qualities and your atmospheric production.

1) Probably too much energy in the 100-150 Hz range, for my tastes, on the bass guitar. This based upon listening on two different systems, treated rooms, subwoofers. A cut of 2-3 db would not be out of the question. Low end below 100Hz or so seems fine as is.

2) If there is a conspicuous element in the mix it would have to be the ride. A creative issue for sure, but I found myself thinking about the ride fairly frequently. Your hand drum, tabla or bongo I imagine, is a bit apologetic and somewhat dry. A creative choice again, but I'd be tempted to assign some of the importance now granted your ride to the hand drum and at least listen once.

Very good work overall.

On a different and serious note, I and many of us here in States were touched by the tragic incident involving the loss of your miners in New Zealand recently. I was particularly struck by the public remarks made by your leader, and the emotion he permitted to surface. That human display would never happen here in the US. even with President Obama, as such press conferences are heavily scripted and one's political opponents would seek to exploit emotional display as a weakness. In any case, I feel for what your country must have felt the day of that explosion.

John Caldwell
Old 19th December 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

Wow!!! What a great song! The vocals are great, catchy, emotional and everything but the drums is great as well. Cool playing (especially bass and guitars and that sustained thing in the background) and arrangement.
The drums are the only thing that really does not fit the quality of the track. I would like to hear some Portishead/Sneaker Pimps'ish triphoppy drums on this one to make it perfect.

If you're into things like remixes, please PM me. This song is so inspiring!

I cannot tell you anything about the low end, because I am listening on some small M-Audio monitors right now, but I'll check it out on my ADAM A7X's and in my car (the most honest and unforgiving monitoring environment...) tomorrow. But it feels very very solid down there, which is not a good sign on the kind of monitors I am using right now, so you probably went a bit overboard.
Old 19th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell View Post
Lovely production on the whole. Reminds me of Jane Siberry, both in term of vocal qualities and your atmospheric production.

1) Probably too much energy in the 100-150 Hz range, for my tastes, on the bass guitar. This based upon listening on two different systems, treated rooms, subwoofers. A cut of 2-3 db would not be out of the question. Low end below 100Hz or so seems fine as is.

2) If there is a conspicuous element in the mix it would have to be the ride. A creative issue for sure, but I found myself thinking about the ride fairly frequently. Your hand drum, tabla or bongo I imagine, is a bit apologetic and somewhat dry. A creative choice again, but I'd be tempted to assign some of the importance now granted your ride to the hand drum and at least listen once.

Very good work overall.

On a different and serious note, I and many of us here in States were touched by the tragic incident involving the loss of your miners in New Zealand recently. I was particularly struck by the public remarks made by your leader, and the emotion he permitted to surface. That human display would never happen here in the US. even with President Obama, as such press conferences are heavily scripted and one's political opponents would seek to exploit emotional display as a weakness. In any case, I feel for what your country must have felt the day of that explosion.

John Caldwell
Hi John

Thanks for the feedback on the song. Your comments about the 100-150 Hz range confirms the feelings I had. As there's no low (kick) percussion, I wanted a fuller bottom end but when comparing it to other reference tracks, it seemed a bit too large - so thanks for the advice on this one. The bongo track playing is overhead mic's only (close-up mic not used) with some reverb but I hear what you're saying about this and the ride.

Also, I really appreciate your kind words about our miners. It was and still remains a big deal for us. To rub salt in the wound, many of the remaining miners will lose their jobs as the mine closes. These incidents also have a way of bringing communities closer together, albeit sad that this it takes these tragedies to do it. Thanks again :-)
Old 19th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Wow!!! What a great song! The vocals are great, catchy, emotional and everything but the drums is great as well. Cool playing (especially bass and guitars and that sustained thing in the background) and arrangement.
The drums are the only thing that really does not fit the quality of the track. I would like to hear some Portishead/Sneaker Pimps'ish triphoppy drums on this one to make it perfect.

If you're into things like remixes, please PM me. This song is so inspiring!

I cannot tell you anything about the low end, because I am listening on some small M-Audio monitors right now, but I'll check it out on my ADAM A7X's and in my car (the most honest and unforgiving monitoring environment...) tomorrow. But it feels very very solid down there, which is not a good sign on the kind of monitors I am using right now, so you probably went a bit overboard.
Thanks RiF

As in much of my work, I spend a lot of time giving production guidance and it's ultimately the artist's choice. Her request was for a punctuated style rhythm track to augment what would otherwise be a song with no percussion. The song is up for release shortly.

Cheers
Amos
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Love the song. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed with @RiF about the drums. On the other note, I think the guitar solo needs more reverb/delay and a little less compression also a db down.

Great work! Who is the singer?
Old 20th December 2010
Thanks for your comments.
Singer is a girl by the name of Jodi Pringle.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post

Interestingly, the bass, apart from a little compression is virtually unprocessed. Signal chain: Stu Hamm signature Fender p-bass into groovetubes brick preamp into firestudio project. I'm feeling it's an eq, rather than volume thing to fix it.

Cheers
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

the ride is verrrrrry distracting
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootStudios View Post
the ride is verrrrrry distracting
Thanks for the comment, but what do you mean?
Inyour opinion, is it volume? EQ? Or is it the punctuated, rather than a consistent timing?

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search