The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any input before we master this metal track would be great... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Any input before we master this metal track would be great...

Hi I'm new to the biz and I'm learning from a great teacher here in NJ. We're working on a metal project for a friend of mine and I'd like some input on this tune if you wouldn't mind. In my opinion we need to blend backing vocals a little better and raise the volume of a few snare hits. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

SkylabStudios - Immaculate Deception on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
No download needed.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

The guitars are almost all side information with no middle. I would personally never do this.

If I had tried wearing headphones with this, I would have probably gotten nauseous from the negative correlation between left and right. :P

Anyway, if you are okay with the guitars disappearing in mono keep it that way.

Best,
Old 21st December 2010
I would have personally done a few things right off the bat differently. I by no means claim to be great at metal production, but I have gotten to work with it quite a bit up to now.

I like my kicks to be maybe a little less clicky and have more upper-mid punch.

Definitely like to hear a much fatter, fuller snare. In my case, I'll bring the bottom snare mic down a lot more and run it through some tight compression. I love the API 2500 and actually the Waves H-Comp is kinda growing on me there too. In some cases I like to use a maxx bass through some kind of soft clipping, but then again, I also trigger HEAVILY in this genre. It's hard not to anymore.

Guitars are too roomy for my taste, while the playing itself is good. Plus they really don't separate well in the stereo field. I had this problem for a long time, and the only way I learned to fix it was to go to the source of tracking.

Seems like a weird volume increase at :34 and I'm gonna guess automation on that left guitar?

The solo at the end is excellent. I'd definitely want to highlight that a little more in the 3-5k range.

Definitely needs a little oomph in the bottom end.

Vocals need some de-essing. With scream vocals I like to blend in some kind of distortion with the mix and basically just compress the crap out of them. High ratio, fast attack, lots of GR. But that's me.

Other than those things, just some leveling with the vocals.

Just my opinions though! Cool song.

Best of luck.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMakesTunes View Post
Guitars are too roomy for my taste, while the playing itself is good. Plus they really don't separate well in the stereo field. I had this problem for a long time, and the only way I learned to fix it was to go to the source of tracking.
Thanks for the input I appreciate your honesty. I agree the guitars are split way too much but the band enjoys the big sound it produced through our monitoring system. Maybe they'll feel differently when they listen to the music on other platforms.

I don't understand the solution you are trying to provide me, I'm a newb. Would you mind elaborating?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

The guitars sound kinda weak to me. I'd like to hear a .wav of this
Old 22nd December 2010
What you're doing to get spread with the guitars is actually sounding like it's doing the opposite and causing some phase cancellations. If you switch this mix to mono I guarantee you a lot of those guitars will disappear. Next time around in the tracking process (in order to get WIDE guitars) play with guitar tones a little more. For instance, say I'm double tracking some wide rhythms in metal and I want it to have that really wide separated sound (Think Whitechapel). I'll dial in like tones using different combinations of amps and guitars to get there. Next time, maybe try splitting a DI signal of the guitar into pod farm or something. Taking the time to really separate the guitars will give you a much wider spread. Personally to me, if the guitars weren't playing different parts, it would sound really narrow. Production kind of reminds me of early Bring Me The Horizon.

As far as what you can do up to this point, in all honesty I would try to level everything out better, esp vox, beef up the snare, and play around with the phase of your gtrs. Reference some modern deathcore back to back with your mix. Production on all of it is in the same ballpark.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMakesTunes View Post
Next time, maybe try splitting a DI signal of the guitar into pod farm or something. Taking the time to really separate the guitars will give you a much wider spread. Personally to me, if the guitars weren't playing different parts, it would sound really narrow.

I recorded three tracks for each guitar, all at once. Mic'd the cabs with a Royer 122, an AKG 414 for the room and a DI into AMP Farm TDM. Are you saying that if I pan the guitars more towards center the ambient mic will make them sound just as wide if it's blended properly? Forgive me, once again I'm new to this. Maybe just pan the 414s hard right and left and center the other signals?
Old 24th December 2010
With this type of music, I wouldn't personally even go near using room mics on the guitars. In that case I really think you should lose the room mic, pan your guitars hard left and right and blend the signal of one guitar with another amp to add separation. When I work with metal, my main guitar focus is to get the guitars to feel as "in your face" as possible and doing all that definitely helps.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

i think the vocals are a bit low kinda soft as well very clean tho i think you should speed the song up a little bit as well just to get that IMMACULATE feeling going

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search