The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rough w/scratch vocal.. "Haulin Hay" Need some advice Studio Headphones
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Rough w/scratch vocal.. "Haulin Hay" Need some advice

So this is a 5 minute mix with a scratch vocal and I'm looking for advice on what I should be concentrating on getting out of the sound. The Dobro is kind of a centerpiece instrument of the song so I know I want that kind of out there. What are some other things you guys think I should be concentrating on?

http://www.reverbnation.com/coryyoungmusic

The song is the first one called "Haulin Hay" I don't know how to embed a widget or a player so you don't have to leave the site. If anybody knows please PM me so I can embed it.
Old 17th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikfarm View Post
So this is a 5 minute mix with a scratch vocal and I'm looking for advice on what I should be concentrating on getting out of the sound. The Dobro is kind of a centerpiece instrument of the song so I know I want that kind of out there. What are some other things you guys think I should be concentrating on?

http://www.reverbnation.com/coryyoungmusic

The song is the first one called "Haulin Hay" I don't know how to embed a widget or a player so you don't have to leave the site. If anybody knows please PM me so I can embed it.

You should be concentrating on making a good song...which is exactly what you did.

Sounds very good. ONLY thing that bothers me a few percent is your pick noise on the acoustic. Kind of stands out.

Other than that...sounds complete. Rough mix?? I'd like to hear what it sounds when you call it complete.

I'd buy it if I were into country.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

What is the vocal recording chain on this and your other tracks? Sounds really good and I wouldn't change a thing. No technical issues here really, really well recorded. Maybe a slight more kick drum but that's personal taste.The guitars go a bit out of tune near the end. That's all.

Great job.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Good start, as others have said. But I can't agree that you are where you want to be with this high quality project.

1) There is a fairly digital top end to the acoustics, cymbals, snare and hat. This may be a property of mic selection, signal path or post choices. I would cool that off, even for the contemporary Nashville genre. The lead vocal sound is good as is.

2) If your goal is to make the dobro feel like a featured instrument, you are miles off, in honesty. I would re-evaluate the need for the strat-style riffs altogether to clear room for the dobro, put some low-mid body in the dobro, pan it where you now have the strat (or center) and push the levels substantially. If I misunderstood your intent regarding the dobro, and your goal is simply to have it as an ensemble sound, disregard. If you do keep the strat, there are a few out of tune notes.

3) How about a simple two-part harmony on select lines of the chorus? There are lots of choices here, but I'm talking about a simple sound with understated parts. I'd guess that the lead vocalist could easily perform the harmonies.

Best wishes,

John-
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search