The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Female Pop/Club
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Female Pop/Club

Hey guys!

Here's a new song I produced, co-wrote, recorded, mixed and mastered for this female artist from Toronto called Miss Gold. I posted the first song we did not long ago and we received a lot of positive feedback! Hope you guys like this one too!

This new song is called "Can't Play Me" and it's the first one in the player:

http://www.luctellier.com/missgold

Thanks for listening!
LT
Old 16th December 2010
Deleted #157546
READY FOR PRINT!

Nice job. There is a few personal taste things for me...but that's it.

Very well done.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

i think it sounds pretty good but i would defenitly think it could be improved.

1.- Kick gets lost in small speakers, and in some parts you can't even hear it at all.
2.- i Would like to hear more punch from the drums,like don¡t over do it cuze it gets real fatiguing when over compressed, but some more punch i'd like.
3.-I reaaaally REAAAALLYT don't like the snare and kick sounds,they're good , but it's just that i've heard that same sound a bizillion times, give something new and fun and i¡ll listen to it twice. ( try diffrent samples and combining'em and fx's , don't HAVE to be the same sample the whole song through , it just makes my head ache when i should be moving my behind)

INTRO
I HEAR YOU PRESENT THE GUITARS AND THE SYNTHS AT THE SAME TIME, SO YOU CAN'T REALLY APRECIATE NEITHER , how about you automate the volume of the synths, let the guitars shine a bit, and then raise the levels.
and then you get excitment and separation instead of mudiness.
i dunno automate panning or eq or something but i think you really want the intro to be perfect since...well it's the intro.

verse
i might keep the snare sample in the intro, but definitly change it for the verse, or maybe make a low pass cut, make the synths on the back dance a little more, (paralel compression and adjust settings till it moves you?)

I would defenitly higlight the word SEXY (since it sounds so sexy , i like her voice when she says it, how about a delay rite there, and for the second)
how about an eq effect and some excitment for the second (up on the floor)
For the second part of the verse when the backing vocals get in , i would gate the synth and put a delay there, and raise the back vocals.

in the "so it's my life so get the hell outta here"
i would try to make it sound more epic, imagine a bunch of girls singing it in a bar , what would move'em?

Chorous
i thinks the fisrt part is crowded , make some space, not everyone can listen to 4 diffrent elements and separate'em in their head and make sense.
For the first part i would love to hear something NEW and exciting! how about trying a bunch of difrent stuff till you find some candy that really excites you?
i'm thinking about a "t.a.t.ui." like effect for the answeing parts,(like having a whole octave above harmonizing thing)
i like the Melodic change rite there
00:50
"no no no"i like the back vocals.
----------------------------------
00:53 to 1:12
ditch that whole part dude, you can't just play the worst part of the chorous twice and expect me to listeng to it twice,fix it and use it for the end, i0m just an average listener.

Love the second verse back vocales effect, it's cool!, but i would use it -%50 less and maybe use it in the first verse just the tiniest bit,

2: 20 ( i would keep in the backround the can't blame me bridge that was cool)

Seriously like it all except for the first part of the chorous ,i would never listen to it again if i could for that part alone,
what do you think?
those were my sincere fist impressions.
cheers
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

@thecementmachine,

Thanks for listening and sharing your opinion on this song! Althought, be careful not to sound rude or express your opinion in a dogmatically way. Sometimes people may have a different vision or different tastes when it comes to music and we can only express our opinion in a diplomatic way specially when writing on an Internet forum when people have no clue of who you are and what you have done in your career. I feel like you might be over thinking the song and have a different vision from me of that song which is totally correct. The only thing that bugs me is when I read things like that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecementmachine View Post
00:53 to 1:12 ditch that whole part dude, you can't just play the worst part of the chorous twice and expect me to listeng to it twice,fix it and use it for the end, i'm just an average listener.
For example, that part you dislike the most is in my humble opinion the catchiest part of the song. It's the Chorus B/Post-Chorus, it's core and the message of the song. You have the right to dislike it of course. I just don't like the way you express your comments and opinion.

Quote:
Seriously like it all except for the first part of the chorous ,i would never listen to it again if i could for that part alone, what do you think?
Well, I think I like it because I would have done it differently otherwise. You're basically saying that you like it all except the first part of the chorus AND that you would "ditch" the second part of the chorus. So what part of the song you like again?

Quote:
I reaaaally REAAAALLY don't like the snare and kick sounds, they're good , but it's just that i've heard that same sound a bizillion times, give something new and fun and i¡ll listen to it twice. ( try diffrent samples and combining'em and fx's , don't HAVE to be the same sample the whole song through , it just makes my head ache when i should be moving my behind)
I tried about 625 different kick and snare samples until I found the ones I liked and thought they were souding good in the context of that particular song. The kick and snares during the verses are totally different from the ones in the chorus.

Quote:
I would defenitly higlight the word SEXY (since it sounds so sexy , i like her voice when she says it, how about a delay rite there, and for the second)
The word "sexy" is not even use in the whole song... she says "ain't that much to see"

I read some of your other posts and read comments like:

Quote:
dude i think i speak for everyone in here when i say THIS IS NOT GOOD you are singing SOO out of pitch, the song is boring and i couldn't listen to it, autotune and come back haha
Dear Oscar, please be nice with people here.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

hey, i was only expressing my first impressions, written as they were apearing in my head, no sugarcoating, of course it is all subjective, only sharing my point of view and taste ,i think you did a great job with the song but don't ask for opinions if you can't take'em. :P
Old 17th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
hey, i was only expressing my first impressions, written as they were apearing in my head, no sugarcoating, of course it is all subjective, only sharing my point of view and taste ,i think you did a great job with the song but don't ask for opinions if you can't take'em. :P

Well, considering I told the OP that his tune was ready for the radio, I think your talking out of your ass.

The OP was referring to the comments that you post on other threads. Your very quick to point out problems. Even though some of it may be your personal taste, you make it seem as if you've been in the business for years and your way is GOLD.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

I'm kinda with thecementmachine with the 00:53 to 1:12 part. But his comment was maybe a little too.. But apart from him I like the 1:00 to 1:12 part. We all have different opinions. Which is a good thing.

But the mix is ready. You are talented and have some really good writing skills. I envy you.

James
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

All songs morph not to a single destination. "Keep on keep'in on" (MB). thumbsupthumbsup
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

another great mix / production!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Luke, I've always loved your work, but this chick is missing the excitement in her vocals that she needs. I can't explain it, but with the hyper beats she needs to sound more exciting/action filled.

She sounds like this is her first pop effort. Good work on the recording.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Great mix!
It took me awhile to realize what she was saying in the chorus. I first thought she was saying "cant BLAME me" instead of play. Am I the only one that thought this?!
I also agree its radio ready!
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

really dig the mixes and songs! just curious, does the singer have an accent?
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Maniac
I really have nothing to say about this.. i totally disagree with the person above me sayin that the vocalist lacks excitement.. ! its awesome! mixing is excellent! great job! so whats your otb/itb vocal chain & fx chain?? heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search