All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
you guys up for a mix-off?
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Nut

you guys up for a mix-off? UPDATE

UPDATE 4/27/11

We've changed the name of the band to Empire Machines, our new site is here:

http://empiremachines.bandcamp.com/

also, recently re-recorded some of the vocals for Outpost. changed the words, melody and delivery of the first verse. it was originally the vibe i was going for in my head, just never had enough vocal experience till now to really nail the subtlety needed. the chorus (oh no oh no) is the same just that delivery is a bit more controlled, and I omitted the rocking verse vocals (don't let them in, they're hiding in our skin once again), it seemed to let the music breathe a bit more there, the rockin part could really grab you there now. the second verse will be changing...still working on it. but thought i'd give you an update of the more current state of the song, for those mixing it. and here's a link to that new lead vocal track if you're interested.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6cpaqgkn648zgau

i can't believe people are still mixing these! pretty cool. thanks for all the good words and the mixes.

UPDATE 12-3-10

I've had a listen to all the mixes, the band had a listen to a specific few and I would like to say that the position for the mixes has been filled. Thank you everyone for all the nice words, you've been great and very helpful. it's been quite the learning experience.

If you'd like to hear the mix of Outpost that helped us make the decision, I think I can post it, he contacted me through PM's, but I think it's fine. It was from the user Brian Cares

here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?3torf7y5qs3mgda

the other closest one was KPHayes mix on the second page. also very good. really difficult decision.

IMPORTANT UPDATE 11-26-10

it's not against the rules to do a job offer here is it? if so I'm sorry, and we can do this through PM's...if not let's see how this goes.

I just got the first new mix back from the engineer in our city. It was a first pass mix, for free, just like the Dog Eat Dog mixes here...I'm very happy with it in some respects and not so happy with it in others. However, it was on the song Outpost No. 23, which is much more representative of our sound, than Dog Eat Dog World...which is why I bring this up..I'm very impressed with some of you guys' work, the general mixes but specifically the tone of the vocals. So this is up to you guys. Now seeing that this new guy's mix didn't come out as mind-blowing as i'd have liked...though still much better than our current mix...i'm saying this. there is a very real chance we could get one of you a job for the mixing for our EP (6-7 songs) if we like your mixes more...but please understand this is not for sure...so i'm just saying you can put in the effort at your own risk. if no one tries this I understand, but since i've heard these mixes of Dog Eat Dog, i can't help but give in to my curiosity which is saying "can we still do even better?". and i would say we probably only want to do business with a certified mixing engineer. i apologize to anyone that might exclude.

but I'd love to see what you guys could do on Outpost No. 23. I would hate to blow off the other engineer that we've been talking to recently, as he's super nice and fun to work with. but we've gotta do what's best for the project...and Outpost is much more diverse with weird sounds and varied parts than the straight rock song that Dog Eat Dog World is.

this time there'd unfortunately have to be some rules though...

-no drum samples can be used as the drummer and other singer can't stand the idea. i would say that means blending as well..i personally don't mind it as much but that's them and they are a very real part of the band.

-if any of you have been throwing on mastering plugins or something, i would ask that you not do that so as I can compare equally with the other engineers mix, which i don't believe he boosted any levels...though it is considerably louder but only on some parts. it doesn't seem like it's been mastered or anything.

Suggestions:

- I would suggest on the verses and choruses ("Oh no, Oh no") trying to capture the intimacy of the vocals on those parts. a warm vocal sound perhaps?

-I'd also suggest little to no reverb on the vocals. (some delay on the vox during the verses/choruses could be cool though? but not sure)

-listen to the current mix on our page if you'd like a reference.

-the guitar that comes in for just a few seconds when the drums kick in after the intro guitar, i think should have pretty heavy delay on it. (this is actually a big thing) and probably panned either left or right, but that is preference.

-think spaciousness and depth, but not through just lots of reverb

-maybe experiment with snare real low in the mix but only for the verses. (could sound bad, could sound good, just something i thought of)

also if you do a mix of Outpost, if could give me or PM me a rate of what you'd charge per mix, that'd be very helpful as well.

but like I'm saying I can't promise anything as I still would have to talk to the rest of the bandmates and we all listen to all of them and really figure out how we all feel. right now it's just me listening to these, i would consider myself the bandleader though, but you know what i'm saying.

So now after all that heavy handed stuff, if you want to take a shot at this, here's the raw tracks for Outpost

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

11-24-10*
||

I know most of you thought the mixes could use some work and wanted to mix Dog Eat Dog World from my band Empire Machines (used to be Panda Thief).

http://empiremachines.bandcamp.com/

Well I finally got the tracks back from our other engineer and have all the raw tracks from the studio, as you guys were saying the tones are pretty good.

I might put up any others if you'd like, but we have a new mixing engineer onboard who's in our city, and we'd like to see what he does. and we'll probably stay with him no matter what...so I don't know if any jobs we'll be given here, probably not. but hey if you just want to mess with this song (maybe other songs too if you'd prefer one of the others?) then I think it'll be fun and a good learning experience for me, to see everyones different mixing perspectives.

here's the download link for megaupload, it's a .rar file by the way. if you know any way around this let me know and i'll upload it in a different format, can mac users open .rar files? i know you need winrar...and if megaupload sucks i can try another way. anyways, for now here ya go

Old 24th November 2010
Deleted #157546
Sure...if you get me the tracks.
Old 24th November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickiks View Post

so if you guys are down, what's a good way to upload these?

Yeah I'm down, Try Dropbox.com for an upload site and if you can make sure the files are waves so everyone can load it into their favorite DAW
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
Yeah I'm down, Try Dropbox.com for an upload site and if you can make sure the files are waves so everyone can load it into their favorite DAW
sendspace.com is nice too!
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
+1
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Nut

i tried dropbox and couldn't get it to recognize the file in the public folder, so i'm just uploading to megaupload for now. if it hits a limit or some nonsense like that let me know and I'll re-upload it.

it's a rar.file right now, so you need winrar, if there's anyway around needing to compress to .rar let me know.

should be done uploading in about 15 mins

here it is

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VQS1GEU7
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
i tried dropbox and couldn't get it to recognize the file in the public folder, so i'm just uploading to megaupload for now. if it hits a limit or some nonsense like that let me know and I'll re-upload it.

it's a rar.file right now, so you need winrar, if there's anyway around needing to compress to .rar let me know.

should be done uploading in about 15 mins

here it is

Thank you for sharing. What is the tempo of the song? Time sig?
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by syns View Post
Thank you for sharing. What is the tempo of the song? Time sig?
we didn't record to a click (even though I personally wanted to), so I'm not too sure. 152 comes to mind but that might be the old take (which was faster)...time sig is 4/4.
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Nut

How about this mix? Suggestion and critique are most welcome.
Attached Files

DOG3_syns.mp3 (4.72 MB, 1231 views)

Old 24th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
How about this mix? Suggestion and critique are most welcome.
haha wow, that was so much more awesome than our old mix. is there drumagog/drum samples on this? i hope not, as it'd be nice to think our drums could sound like that

love what you did with the low harmony at the end with the panning

I still think some panning with the guitars could do in the second verse as that part has always felt a bit muddy. like the single-note riffing guitar in the left channel and the two note chord one in the right.

guitar solo might be a bit low in the mix, but it's an interesting take on having it that low...it might work better that way but i haven't came to any conclusion about it yet.

the drums sometimes sound a bit too metal-ish(like the genre of metal), like machine guns i think but most of the time i enjoy them.

but still man nitpicking aside that was sick! The bassplayer loved it too...nice to know/prove I wasn't crazy in thinking we could sound completely different when people told me we could. thanks for that.

this is much more like the band i want to sound like than the old mixes. not to say other mixers shouldn't try other sounds/styles though if they want.
Old 24th November 2010
Deleted #157546
Mix Off

Ok, so I just finished working on your tune. Over all I thought the band sounded pretty solid. I was able for the most part to get everything clear. There might be some personal preference things which is fine, but over all I thought it came out pretty decent.

I dropped a L3-LL on the masterbuss to brighten it up and compress, but I can take it off if you choose.

Thanks for giving me something to play with!!

(If you'd like to here it not on sound cloud...let me know too.)

-I'm going to repost...not coverting right...
Old 25th November 2010
Deleted #157546
OK...well you can see what you think.

I feel like I'm being deceived a bit. It sounds good on the cd player, my monitors, etc...and then I drop it into Windows Media and...hmm...that's odd.

At least you can get an idea.

If you have any suggestions, please comment.
Old 25th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
haha wow, that was so much more awesome than our old mix. is there drumagog/drum samples on this? i hope not, as it'd be nice to think our drums could sound like that

love what you did with the low harmony at the end with the panning

I still think some panning with the guitars could do in the second verse as that part has always felt a bit muddy. like the single-note riffing guitar in the left channel and the two note chord one in the right.

guitar solo might be a bit low in the mix, but it's an interesting take on having it that low...it might work better that way but i haven't came to any conclusion about it yet.

the drums sometimes sound a bit too metal-ish(like the genre of metal), like machine guns i think but most of the time i enjoy them.

but still man nitpicking aside that was sick! The bassplayer loved it too...nice to know/prove I wasn't crazy in thinking we could sound completely different when people told me we could. thanks for that.

this is much more like the band i want to sound like than the old mixes. not to say other mixers shouldn't try other sounds/styles though if they want.
Yeah, the kick were 100% replaced using my own samples. Snare blended with slate. Sorry :D.

I'm currently working on guitar parts to make each one of it sounds clear in the mix. I'm agree with you about the muddy parts, drums being too metal (being a metalhead its a curse). Will update my mix later.

I'm glad that you and your bassist like it. I really appreciate it.
Old 25th November 2010
Here for the gear

Hi,

here is my version of your song.

I'm still very new to mixing, so I'm happy to hear your criticism.
Attached Files

DogEatDogWorld.mp3 (4.25 MB, 844 views)

Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Nice song, here's my attempt!

EDIT: Mix updated!
Old 26th November 2010
Gear Head

Smile

that's mine!
You know - suggestion and critique...
Attached Files

dedog_by_pipK.mp3 (4.75 MB, 851 views)

Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipK View Post
that's mine!
Good job dude!
Old 26th November 2010
Gear Nut

thank you guys these are great! sorry it took me so long to get to this...

the main thing I'm surprised of with all these mixes is the general idea to keep the lead guitars in the center channel. I'd always thought they'd be cooler spread out panned hard left and right. and that sort of reverb/creepy guitar in the choruses to be panned left or right. but that just would be my preference. I also can never really hear the single-note riffing guitar in the second verse on any of these, it's very buried in the mix, i'd like it if it came out more. where you can distinguish a bit between sort of that barking two-note chord guitar riff and the single note riff on the second verse.

that's just overall for everyone's mixes. and just my personal preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
OK...well you can see what you think.

I feel like I'm being deceived a bit. It sounds good on the cd player, my monitors, etc...and then I drop it into Windows Media and...hmm...that's odd.

At least you can get an idea.

If you have any suggestions, please comment.
Nice it sounds pretty good, though I think somewhere between Windows Media maybe the lead guitar got lost. The lead in this mix is pretty buried, and the rhythm guitar too loud... and I would say mistakenly..doesn't sound like it'd be your preference.

-the vocals sound pretty great

-drum levels sound great at times though perhaps slightly muffled? and other times not as much and thats probably due to the lead guitar being low and rhythm being low.

-drums slightly muffled maybe? just a bit.

I think i could judge this better if the lead guitar was a bit higher and rhythm a bit lower.

Quote:
Yeah, the kick were 100% replaced using my own samples. Snare blended with slate. Sorry :D.

I'm currently working on guitar parts to make each one of it sounds clear in the mix. I'm agree with you about the muddy parts, drums being too metal (being a metalhead its a curse). Will update my mix later.

I'm glad that you and your bassist like it. I really appreciate it.
haha no worries...i also really like the way your rhythm guitar sounds and the lead when it comes in, in that intro verse as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoguiders View Post
Hi,

here is my version of your song.

I'm still very new to mixing, so I'm happy to hear your criticism.
Right on well I'll be honest I can hear you're a bit new to mixing. Everything sounds a bit in the background so to speak, especially the drums. it's also not as loud but I'm assuming that's cause all the other guys threw on a mastering plugin or something? not sure.

I'll say it reminds me of my real engineers mixes a bit, a bit on that dull side of things...when everything kicks in, though it's mainly because the drums seem so far back in the mix. the vocals still sound better here than the old mix I think. the second verse harmony is at a nice level, and I like the double panning with the harmony at the end as well, perhaps a bit loud though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Nice song, here's my attempt!
thanks man!

I liked this one a lot.

-of any version i think in the second verse when everything kicks in it sounds the best, just feels right (though if one lead is panned hard left and the other hard right like i'm sayin that could be lost, but you still would probably make it sound just as good)

-the low harmonies at the end are PERFECT, exactly how i'd imagine them in my head. panned and just high enough to be heard and felt but low enough that they don't overtake the main vocal. ****ing great.

-the tone of the rhythm guitar (at the beginning) is definitely what i'm looking for, though i still think syns might have you beat there.

main critiques-

-everything sounds a bit bass-y or maybe just the kick sometimes seems artificial? or is it the bass that has that sound...not sure. you can really hear what i'm talking about during that rockin breakdown after the solo (before the bridge)

-the vocals seem a bit too loud at first, and then just slightly too low during the rest of the song. (mainly the rockin parts)

- the harmony in the second verse sounds great on the last word "free" but is just a little bit too buried for the previous words "A race that never will be". but I do like it more buried like this than up how it's been all the other mixes. but could go up just a tad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipK View Post
that's mine!
Very nice, I liked a lot of things about this one.

-vocals are pretty good I think could go down a little bit maybe.
-the solo sounds the best here of any of the mixes I think. It might be literally like a smidgen too loud, (just barely) but that's me nitpicking to the highest extent.
-sound of that rockin breakdown after the solo (before the bridge) best here as well.

main critiques-

- perhaps a bit of low end in the drums that could come through just a little bit more, but i'm not too sure.
-the drum clicks in should probably go
-the rhythm guitar especially at the beginning sounds a fairly thin, the tone of syns rhythm or djanthony's is much more what I'd be looking for, just for reference.
-i can dig the idea with the panning lead at the beginning, how its left right left right center, but I feel it takes away a bit from the vocals at that part. basically, i want to dig it more than I actually do. it might be because it starts feeling predictable or something, though i think the idea itself is pretty unpredictable, if that makes any sense.
- the harmony in the second verse is louder than i'd like
-the low harmony at the end is a bit loud, and i'd rather it was panned with the doubles instead of in the center.

syns, dj and pip are in the lead for sure.
Old 26th November 2010
Gear Head

Here's a quick one with all your drums.

EDIT: I am going to put it on soundcloud because this isn't working.
Attached Files

Last edited by jaymcb; 27th November 2010 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Attachments not working
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I liked this one a lot
Thanks, I made some adjustments, but gearslutz is acting up with file uploads / downloads so I've uploaded it here:

EDIT: Mix updated!
Old 27th November 2010
Gear Head

Here's mine, finally.

Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

is there an original mix to reference?
Old 27th November 2010
Deleted #157546
Here is a new version with your suggestions. Tell me what you think.

Make sure to listen in stereo (not that your not), cause the panning situation gets a little weird in mono.

Thanks!!

jayvo86 - BounceDogEatFinished - SoundCloud
Old 27th November 2010
Gear Nut

important update in the first post, take a look and see if it might something you'd want to do.
Old 27th November 2010
Here for the gear

the mix off

I want to be apart. where can i download the tracks from?
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytmusic View Post
I want to be apart. where can i download the tracks from?
The link is at the bottom of the first post.
Old 27th November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Right on well I'll be honest I can hear you're a bit new to mixing. Everything sounds a bit in the background so to speak, especially the drums. it's also not as loud but I'm assuming that's cause all the other guys threw on a mastering plugin or something? not sure.

I'll say it reminds me of my real engineers mixes a bit, a bit on that dull side of things...when everything kicks in, though it's mainly because the drums seem so far back in the mix. the vocals still sound better here than the old mix I think. the second verse harmony is at a nice level, and I like the double panning with the harmony at the end as well, perhaps a bit loud though.
Hey, thanks for your honest comment. After uploading my mix I compared it to the others and I have to admit that it sounded really "far away"... so I realized some bus compression should bring everything up front but this is more a mastering thing in my opinion. I worked a bit on the overall sound and I will upload a new version with master bus compression when I get back home. I still like the mix to have a bit less compression and more "air" than most of the mixes presented here do.

Greetz
Phil
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Mix updated!

Uploads working again!
Attached Files

ded_mixed_by_anthony_webster.mp3 (4.85 MB, 1649 views)

Old 27th November 2010
Gear Nut

updated mix version 4

bright cymbals
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2658737/DOG5_syns.mp3

which one better?
Attached Files

DOG4_syns.mp3 (5.90 MB, 716 views)

Old 29th November 2010
Here for the gear

Outpost 23 Mix

Hi

Heres a mix of your other song Outpost 23, Nice song enjoyed mixing it.

There was a problem with the drum OHs and Room tracks in that the stereo image wasn't centered with snare being over to the left but otherwise everything was well recorded which made mixing this very enjoyable.

I did do dog eat dog as well but want to change a couple of things before I post that

RubberDuck
Attached Files

Outpost23_RubberDuck_291110.mp3 (5.92 MB, 656 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search