The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Instrumental Rock Mix Help
Old 26th August 2010
Here for the gear

Instrumental Rock Mix Help

Hello fellow GearSlutz!

I recently finished this little instrumental mix, but I feel like it needs something more. I'm open for absolutely any suggestions just to make my mixing and music better! So any suggestions to improve the music or mix would be appreciated. I noticed my mix is quiet compared to most other music, how can I make it slightly louder? My master bus was set to where It peaked at 0 dB.

Thanks ahead of time!
Attached Files

Piano Rock.mp3 (1.94 MB, 745 views)

Old 26th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardPianist View Post
Hello fellow GearSlutz!

I recently finished this little instrumental mix, but I feel like it needs something more. I'm open for absolutely any suggestions just to make my mixing and music better! So any suggestions to improve the music or mix would be appreciated. I noticed my mix is quiet compared to most other music, how can I make it slightly louder? My master bus was set to where It peaked at 0 dB.

Thanks ahead of time!
Hi,
nice song!
I don´t want to disappoint you but there are a lot of things to improve to reach a professional standard.
I think you´ve probabaly overused compression. Because of that the mix sounds a bit lifeless. It doesn´t safe the dynamics and transients that can make music so joyful and full of energy. The instruments have no "body". Means there is no 3-dimensional sound image audible and a virtual room. Unfortunately all these elements aren´t in the mix. Please deal with the basics of mixing,listen very very carefully to great mixed music and draw your conclusions because nobody will really tell you his secrets.
All the best. Stay tuned and you´ll make one step further.
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice.

The only track I have compression on is the drums. How would you suggest fixing what you say is wrong?
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

yea
the first thing that strikes me about the mix is the drums are pumping (not in a really good way) and the guitars don't really sound gelled together.

But thats an easy fix! try increasing the attack on the compressor you are using to compress your drums. you could also try turning the ratio down also (say 2:1 instead of say 4:1)

or depending on the drums, you could just ditch the compression all together
or maybe just use a stereo buss compressor.

I go through weird ocd phases. Right now If i see the needle of the compressor moving, then thats all I want to push it. Don't be afraid not to compress. remember if it sounds good it is good!
Abe
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

you need parallel compression on the drums badly
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

wtf don't you have a different guitar tone at :34 ???
that tone is getting boring. no contrast
just some banjo player on meth going through withdrawal and a bunch of delay. there is like zero contrast in this song. it starts; it goes for a little bit; fade out... that's a wrap!
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

+1
Yes Parallel compression is great.
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

I'm going to try parallel compression on the drums later today. I have never actually tried it before, I'm new to mixing, if that isn't evident. I just listened to the mix through a different computer, I know I should do this always, but I was lying to myself saying my monitors were that biased, and I definitely see the compression thing. The drums sound great though my monitors like that, not overly compressed though the compression is evident, but its smothering them when I listen on other monitors. I'll try to duplicate the guitar track in the C-D part of the song and add a different color to see how that works.

I can understand the song is boring, there is no melody! It really isn't much of a song. It's something I threw together to put here and see if I could get some suggestions to help me along.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your opinions.
Old 28th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi There

I agree the drums are pumping a bit too much, particularily on the snare. What are you using for drums, sounds like superior drummer.

Parallel compression would definately be a good idea, or possibly a bit more time consuming would be to dial in the compression individually on snare, kick, overheads ect.

Perhaps try some tape saturation on the guitars as well

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search