The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Simple acoustic guitar and vocal track - comments appreciated
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Simple acoustic guitar and vocal track - comments appreciated

Hi all-

This is a song I tracked a couple of weeks ago that I need to come back to mixing. I have a friend who produces primarily electronic music and he's just released a new LP and asked if I could do a remix of one of his songs. I'm not doing proper electronic stuff so much these days (more an indie kid these days), so I proposed taking the lyrical content of one of his songs and making a more stripped down acoustic version of it of my making.

This is the 2nd mix I did right after tracking and it's much better than the first, but it still feels like there's some odd competition going on with the guitar and vocal's in the lo-mids I think. I've just moved into a new space for mixing and at the moment it's a big concrete box, so my ability to listen critically is a little compromised...

The details of the recording are: Guitar = Santa Cruz OM/PW with a U195 on the neck @ 12th fret and Gefell M300 off of the body about 12 inches, both through a Great River MP2NV with a RNC keeping the levels under control. My voice is using the U195 through the MP2NV with RNC doing slight control. Mixed in Logic with a UAD-1 LA2A plug on voice and guitars as is except for some EQ.

Any thoughts on the mix? Performances?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Lee

ps - there seems to be a little click that's getting created from the mp3 conversion.
Attached Files
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

I hate to comment on about mp3s because so much is lost... but ... these things stick out, to me....

Sounds like a shirt sleeve or something hitting the guitar body while playing.
Too much sibilance on the vocal (10k range?).
Lots of fret noise at chord changes.
Dropout @ 1:36.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search