The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixoff 2010 Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

May 1st, its time for a new jazz mixoff, isn't it?
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Nut

Yes, some Jazz would be nice...heh
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba View Post
minor_glitch:
- guitars are a little bit drowning in reverb
- some slight phase problems (e.g. bass drum) here
+ cool guitarsound
+ vox is fine, but little bit harsh
Thanks for the feedback! I can definitely hear some of things you mentioned.
Unfortunately I had to rush a bit on this one to get it done before starting my next project. Oh well, no paying gigs, no new gear, right?haha

I kind of liked the vocals myself, but I suppose I could have gone lighter on the saturation and done a bit more de-essing.
You can thank Softube for the guitar sounds!
Old 2nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

studjo:
- reverb on the vox in intro is a little bit confusing me
- mix is little bit flattery, but still ok
+ great drum sound
+ overall balance is very cool, warm sounding
for my taste one of the best mixes!
Hey man you're killing me ... listening to all those mixes, I just can say wow. I tried to squeez in a listen every once in a while but I can't follow the entries as there are so many...
I totally agree with the reverb - that would be something to discuss with the band. First I thought I should skip it but I got used to it and I couldn't spend to much time with the track so I left it.
What do you mean with "flattery" - the word escapse me

Thanks for listening man!
Old 2nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
Hey man you're killing me ... listening to all those mixes, I just can say wow. I tried to squeez in a listen every once in a while but I can't follow the entries as there are so many...
I totally agree with the reverb - that would be something to discuss with the band. First I thought I should skip it but I got used to it and I couldn't spend to much time with the track so I left it.
What do you mean with "flattery" - the word escapse me

Thanks for listening man!
yes, good fitting reverb needs a lot of fine tuning. i know a lot of mixes (incl. mine) here are done in a hurry and mostly in <4h.
sorry for confusing with "flattery", i meant "fluttering". my critics on your mix are also very high level.
what do you think about my mix?
Old 2nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, good fitting reverb needs a lot of fine tuning. i know a lot of mixes (incl. mine) here are done in a hurry and mostly in <4h.
sorry for confusing with "flattery", i meant "fluttering". my critics on your mix are also very high level.
what do you think about my mix?
I'll be listening to your mix tomorrow - I can't listen here since I don't have my (t)rusty old headphones with me :( - I was listening to all the mixes I commented on with the same headphones and hope to get some form of consistency with this approach
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steab View Post
Tts time for a new jazz mixoff, isn't it?
Anyone?!
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Red face Way Late to the Party

I couldn't resist a free multitrack to practice on so here is my mix at it's current state. Criticism would be helpful.

More Info: Izotope Trash on DI Gtrs and for Vox delay. ArtsAcoustic Verb. The rest is all Ableton 8 stock plugs.
Attached Files

RedRouteMix1.mp3 (5.13 MB, 178 views)

Last edited by Nick Laho; 5th May 2010 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
olof, thx for the great contest. it was a lot of fun to mix!

this is my mix (320kbit, max -13dB RMS as requested):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2216927/misc...ixoff_2010.mp3
finally some time left ...

first of all: I like the vocals in the intro heh nice ambience. I think you could try to make the drums a bit more pumping/more snappy. I'm missing a bit of weight in the whole kit. The kick has a room sound which might come from a lot of compression - don't know but I'd try to make it more direct. I love room sounds but this song might not be the best one to go into the roomy direction since the whole arrangement is allready pretty full.
I love the bass sound on my headphones
The mix is very driving which is an absolute must with this song IMVHO - I like it - if you get more low end heaviness in there it's even better!
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

studjo, thanks for your critics!

regarding drums: i mixed this in a hurry on the night before the deadline, so the drums are quite "natural" (had no time to take care & found the rest - esp. the vox - more important). no room at all on drums, but bus compression.

btw, mixed 99% on 100€ sennheiser headphones (& 1% on 10€ PC speakers). after checking in may car it seems to translate not that bad.
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw, mixed 99% on 100€ sennheiser headphones (& 1% on 10€ PC speakers). after checking in may car it seems to translate not that bad.
wow respect - I never had the guts to mix on headphones alone ...
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Hey guys,

This is way late, but I had TONS of fun with the song. Let me know what you think.

This is the final mastered version.
Attached Files

01 Mix Off MASTER.mp3 (5.10 MB, 172 views)

Old 6th May 2010
Gear Nut

After 2 days on this project, let me just say that this is one HEAVY topic fora bunch of 14 to 16 years olds to tackle. To say that the kids tackled it well and elegantly is the understatement of the century.

As to what was done with this mix:

I decided to keep the answering machine, as it was really integral to the whole story line. I added a bit of delay so that would not be viewed as a "normal" answering machine.

In keeping with the hack and slash thing going on, I killed off quite a few parts: clean guitar 2, the sitar, the blowjobs and a synth pad. Boiling the song down to its essential elements gave it space and room to breath. I understand where the brass sections were coming from and what their significance was, however, it clouded the overall message of the song.

Drums
The drums were really in great shape. The kick had enough in it to get done what I wanted. Once I figured out the honk in the snare, I totally fell in love with the snare sound, which is funny because I really don't like the whole SM57 at 12 o'clock kind of sound (sound like someone playing tennis rather than a snare) but this one worked and worked well. The hihats were overdriven but still sounded fine. Overheads were just what I would expect them to be. A bit of EQ and some magic reverb on the snare and the drums were done.

Bass - there really wasn't much to do here but figure out an EQ scheme that worked. An opto compressor helped bring out string noise and added punch in the top end. I think it worked out nicely.

Clean Guitar - I chucked this through an amp sim to give it slightly different flavor than what i was presented with. It got a bit of delay, some tubey vibe and a smidgen of compression to knock off a bit of wool going on.

Acoustic Guitar - for someone who specializes in recording acoustic guitar, this one was in good shape. It had enough across the spectrum to give a nice full sound with getting in the way. A bit of compression and EQ was all it needed.

The Distorted Guitars got some tube vibe, EQ and compression. There were a few gnarly spots where the distortion wasn't overly pleasant, I'll discuss that in just a bit.

The Cello had absolutely nothing done to it at all. It sat perfectly and it actually had the desk shaking a bit. Shame it didn't get used more but I see why was where it was and WHY it was there.

The Vox - The vox had a really great delivery, even if the levels were all over the place. The voice had a nice grainy texture and that unmistakeable "boy" sound. The vox got some heavy-duty compression on them. I wanted them to sit in one spot ad not move. I also felt that the compression brought out the grainy quality of the voice. It also had the advantage of bringing the breath sounds up front. I really wanted the vocals up front and in your face. The subject matter being presented really seem to warrant that approach.

The Guitar solo had a bit of compression, EQ and stereo delay.

Arrangement
I decided that in addition to killing off whole tracks, bits and pieces inside the track had to go. The distorted got squeaky in a few places so I decided that muting was in order, which lead to a whole series of mutings between the distorted guitars and the clean guitar. I can't remember exactly where they all are, but the purpose was to clean out certain sections and let the acoustic step forward and take the stage.

The final result is a pretty interesting little track. I'm pretty sure it's going to become one of my favorites.

Hope you enjoy the mix.

Distorted Guitars -
Attached Files

Catherine - Red Route.mp3 (5.46 MB, 206 views)

Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandRecordingCo View Post
Hey guys,

This is way late, but I had TONS of fun with the song. Let me know what you think.

This is the final mastered version.
Sounds really good overall, I like how you managed to handel all the elements. The bass has a nice warm and full sound, it sounds a bit boomy on bass heavy playback-systems, like my ATM50 cans though.
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
Sounds really good overall, I like how you managed to handel all the elements. The bass has a nice warm and full sound, it sounds a bit boomy on bass heavy playback-systems, like my ATM50 cans though.
Hey thanks! I was a little worried about that. It sounded pretty good on all my systems, even the car, but I did notice it was just a bit more bottom heavy than other sources, although I didn't note it as necessarily a bad thing....I just didn't know if it would end up being too much on a bass heavy system or not...guess so!

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated.
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Nut

Is anything happening with the contest? Been quiet since deadline last week. If anyone cares to have a listen and give some feedback on mines that would be great. Its on the previous page a few posts from the bottom.
Old 8th May 2010
Gear Addict

Hey

who goonna judge the mixes
and post the winner list
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Nut

Any news about the outcome of that "contest" yet?

Last edited by ez135; 27th May 2010 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: Spelling...
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Old 28th May 2010
Gear Maniac

so who own ???
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Addict

We are all winners...
Old 29th May 2010
Gear Nut

If you all listen closely to the song Red Route on his homepage, then you would realize that the song already has been pro mixed.
So dont expect him to return here to find a winner

But it was a nice track to mix with nice recorded tracks.

Regards

Jakes
Old 3rd June 2010
Lives for gear

just some small modifications on my mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2216927/misc/karumba_v2.mp3

i don't like the mix on the site, too much limiting. it sounds harsh for my ears & not good anymore.a "pro-mix" is something different imo. all in all its ok. but thats only my opinion. mixing the track was fun anyway, so thx for that!
Old 3rd June 2010
Gear Addict

Someone order a square wave?
Attached Files

LETTENMUSIC.MIX.01.16.441.mp3 (5.97 MB, 142 views)

Old 8th July 2010
Here for the gear

So after mixing this song for a day and listening to the original and everyone else's mixes, I'm pretty shocked.I can't believe how good the original sounds. Everything is so beefy especially the snare. I feel like such a noob right now. I would really love to see Olofd's project file. Although I was mixing on my laptop using all stock logic plugs, pretty lame excuse
Old 10th July 2010
Gear Nut

I worked really hard on this mix and had a lot of fun!

Here is mine!! Lemme know if you like it.
Attached Files

redroute_low.mp3 (5.95 MB, 128 views)

Old 15th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Heads up

Hi Olof.

Let me know when you're going to send the stuff to me.
Send me a PM or email - now.

Regards
Kasper
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr101 View Post
After 2 days on this project, let me just say that this is one HEAVY topic fora bunch of 14 to 16 years olds to tackle. To say that the kids tackled it well and elegantly is the understatement of the century.
I agree, the recording is nowhere near as bad as the OP implies.

JBR101, I thought your mix was quality, were the guitars DIed, everyone seems to have them sounding different.
Old 8th November 2010
Gear Head

I thought I'd have a go although this was ages ago.
Attached Files

Red Route.mp3 (3.62 MB, 79 views)

Old 15th November 2010
Here for the gear

Your own mix was by far the best ... I thought

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search