The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixoff 2010 Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionAudio View Post
Love this mix! thumbsup You took it in a completely different direction than I or most others here went with it, but it really works well. After one quick listen, I can't think of anything there that I didn't like. It probably wouldn't have been my personal choice to do it like this, but well done!

...and DropBox is such an awesome useful tool, isn't it? Especially since it's FREE!!!
Thanks man! I really dig how you managed space in your mix. Only thing I would change is to try somehow make vocals sound more consistent both in loudness and space(it seems like vocals start shifting to sides a bit during chorus).
Neverless, good job

Yea, Dropbox
Direct links are enormous advantage to other hosting sites
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

So I worked a bit on the dramaturgy with faderrides and stuff but kept the sparse arrangement because I have only an old Tascam 8 channel casette deck but hey it's analog and tape heh
Attached Files

RedRouteAndreasG.mp3 (5.38 MB, 203 views)

Old 29th April 2010
Gear Addict

Finally I've been listening to all the mixes on GS and other forums. Damn they all sound different! I think the best part is hearing everyone's translation of the song. =) It's like hey why didn't i think about that. And all of a sudden my mix sounds pretty dry now.

In no order my favourite mixes are...

Steab: Sounds great, I like everything about it! Except... I would have the trumpet a little lower. Haha... Anyway great job!

AudioAwake: Also a great mix, sounds good and very well balanced, the levels on every track is where they should be. The only thing I could think of is the vocal reverb/delay... It's way too much on some parts...
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioawake View Post
Thanks man! I really dig how you managed space in your mix. Only thing I would change is to try somehow make vocals sound more consistent both in loudness and space(it seems like vocals start shifting to sides a bit during chorus).
Neverless, good job

Yea, Dropbox
Direct links are enormous advantage to other hosting sites
hmmmmm... you might be hearing the Waves 2 Tap stereo delay. I also try to go for fairly large, wide reverbs at very low levels. As for loudness, I went for parallel compression on vocals to balance a natural feel with overall consistency.
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
AudioAwake: Also a great mix, sounds good and very well balanced, the levels on every track is where they should be. The only thing I could think of is the vocal reverb/delay... It's way too much on some parts...
Thanks for pointing out that, I can believe I've left it that way
Fixed now
Tomorrow I'll try to listen and give some comments about your mix. Thanks again!

Quote:
hmmmmm... you might be hearing the Waves 2 Tap stereo delay. I also try to go for fairly large, wide reverbs at very low levels. As for loudness, I went for parallel compression on vocals to balance a natural feel with overall consistency.
Man, don't mind me, after couple days of trying to get vocals sound even close to what I want, I think I became too paranoid. Now I hear that same thing on everyones mixes including mine
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
So I worked a bit on the dramaturgy with faderrides and stuff but kept the sparse arrangement because I have only an old Tascam 8 channel casette deck but hey it's analog and tape heh
I like your arrangement choices! And the analog sounds delicious! The snare sounds really nice. What reverb did you use on drums? I think your edits before the solo could be really awesome with a fader ride to boost the word "stay" just as the drums hit. I would try pulling the verb back on the lead guitar. I like the bouncing from left to right, but I'd try it with less verb and some delay blended in. It sounds like you re-amped the bass which I wish I could have done, but it sounds like there's a bit too much boxy midrange growl on it.

Overall a lot of great stuff going on in this mix, and creamy analog goodness in spades. Well done!
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Hey,

By going to your FTP server, do we just download the folder named tracks.zip? (435.8 MB)???

Says it's gonna take about 2 hours...
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Steab: Sounds great, I like everything about it! Except... I would have the trumpet a little lower. Haha... Anyway great job!
Thank's man, yours and the original poster's mix are the best imo, didn't see many good mixes in this mixoff tbi.
I also didnt automate (time consuming) and you're propably right about the trumpets but it's all good, it was fun.
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like your arrangement choices! And the analog sounds delicious! The snare sounds really nice. What reverb did you use on drums? I think your edits before the solo could be really awesome with a fader ride to boost the word "stay" just as the drums hit. I would try pulling the verb back on the lead guitar. I like the bouncing from left to right, but I'd try it with less verb and some delay blended in. It sounds like you re-amped the bass which I wish I could have done, but it sounds like there's a bit too much boxy midrange growl on it.

Overall a lot of great stuff going on in this mix, and creamy analog goodness in spades. Well done!
Thank you for your kind words!

You are spot on with the word issue "stay"! The reason I didn't push it was it doesn't sound good, there is no aggression in spelling even when pushed but a clear impact like an explosion when the solo chimes in was really important for me.

Regarding the guitar reverb, yes I could have done that with delay but I was after that sound, I just liked it. I had something like VanHalens Panama guitar verb sound in mind :-)

On drums there is an EMT 245 reverb with 0.8sec decay, I equed the returns really bright plus 10dB @ 8khz. In addition I used the Logic Spacedesigner plugin on Kick and snare with an IR called 0,4s_Drum_Implosion. Kick, snare and overheads were super heavy equed.

I didn't reamp the bass, it's just eq and a hard hitted 1176 (hardware). The channel of my board got also into red, perhaps that's what you heard.

I will check you mix tomorrow, it's late here and I'm so tiered.

Have a nice evening,
Andreas
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

olof, thx for the great contest. it was a lot of fun to mix!

this is my mix (320kbit, max -13dB RMS as requested):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2216927/misc...ixoff_2010.mp3
Attached Files

Karumba-Mixoff_2010_192k.mp3 (5.04 MB, 160 views)

Last edited by karumba; 30th April 2010 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: added mp3 for board-playback
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Well this has been really fun! Here's my mix for this round.
Attached Files
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh geez... (and out comes the Minnesota in me) I knew I had accounted for that lead part, but I was distracted when some last minute changes to another project landed on my desk just as I was bouncing this one. I went back to look and I managed to bounce the audio with automation disabled on a couple of the tracks! And of course my anal perfectionist nature made me re-tweak a few other things while I was in there(including the vocals). Here's the fixed mix:
I think it sound pretty good overall. It's on the smooth and relaxed side in a good way. I prefer more aggressive drums though, the snare gets a bit lost at time but that's all so subjektive. The vocals fx are perhaps a tad too prominent when you use it constantly all over in the song. I don't like the horns they need a lot of reverb to not sound so cheap and fakey, like the trumpets from Jericho or from kingdom come... makes sense?
Nice!
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steab View Post
Thank's man, yours and the original poster's mix are the best imo, didn't see many good mixes in this mixoff tbi.
I also didnt automate (time consuming) and you're propably right about the trumpets but it's all good, it was fun.
Thanx! i really appreciate it... heh And about the trumpets/horns and so on... it's just a level thing and my personal taste, like you said it's all good. But honestly I wish everyone including me would've muted those "blow tracks", I don't think they brought anything good to the table.
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba View Post
olof, thx for the great contest. it was a lot of fun to mix!

this is my mix (320kbit, max -13dB RMS as requested):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2216927/misc...ixoff_2010.mp3
Great mix karumba! thumbsup What did you use on the vocals? Gotta love that vocal sound!
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

thx chris!
i'm not at home ATM so i can only tell what i remember (at home i can check in more detail). first, this mix is done completely ITB.
vocalchain (not sure about order of plugins):
- digital fishbones spitfish with (IMO quite a lot, maybe too much) de-essing
- voxengo glissEQ3
- UAD la2a
- bootsy ferric TDS v1.5 (driven hard for more "character" on vox)
- voxengo glissEQ3 (little bit dynamic processing)
- UAD dimension D chorus (just a bit)
- 2x UAD EMT 250 (one darker room for intro, one brighter room for everything except intro)
- no fader riding at all, but some "object leveling" --> samplitude
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Addict

That was alot... =) Thanx for sharing! I'm really interested in the ferric plugin, what do you think of it? Is it quite subtle or?
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

ferric is from german coder bootsy & i like & use it alot (its freeware btw!):
Variety Of Sound

it can be subtle but also aggressive. try pushing it hard on the drumbus mixed parallel! it can give some analog touch to a ITB mix.
Old 30th April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yep, you're right about the kick drum, and it was replaced (my first time trying that). Like I said in the post, I was distracted by other stuff. I went back and edited the post to change it to the version that actually got sent to Olof for the mixoff. Give that one a try. As for air, I wanted it to have some pop/rock sparkle, but I actually put a 12 dB/octave HPF at 16.5k on the master to give it more of an analog tape frequency response. Thanks for the comments! And sorry if I came off sounding harsh in my comments to you! I just figured the fairest and most constructive way to respond was to say what I was thinking. The comment about the 7506's was because that was actually an early mistake of mine, several years ago with those very same headphones. I also struggled with mixes being too wet back then. Try pulling the verb back, maybe combine it with a delay for your lead vox. Definitely put a HPF and LPF on the verb return to clear out the clutter that a verb can leave in your mix.

...But I digress. Lemme know what you think of my new version!
no prob about that, any comments are welcome 4 me . . this is a forum, any comment is okay, isn't it??

bout my mix, i like to make it not too modern (modern music use slightly reverb nowadays) . . if you're trying to give an analog sound, try to use VTape Saturator or PSP vintage Warmer or BBE sonic Maximizer. .
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

ok, i thought i take some time to listen to most of the mixes. here are some of my impressions. please do not take it too serious, in most cases its just an impression, not more. some critics are also "at a high level".
(always latest mix)

Scottn:
- too much reverb for my taste, everything is too far away
+ levels are fine
+ i like the overall warm sound

Andreas G:
- levels of some tracks are not perfekt
- little bit too much reverb or too long
+ voice sounds fine
+ warm "tape-ish" sound

chrisjones:
- maybe a little bit inconsistent (i think its the "outer" guitar which is a little bit too loud)
- trumpets missing....nah...*joke*
+ aggressive/direct mix
+ i like the drum sound!
+ cool FX
i think its one of the best mixes here.

Tom F:
- little bit inconsistent
- vox is most important, but quite far away
+ cool FX
+ interessting/creative approach

once a roadie:
- vox has lack of presence
- little bit too much around ~100hz
+ tight bass
+ interesting guitarsound

Steab:
- dynamics are a little bit fluttering
- vox could be better integrated into the mix (sounds like its "on top" & not belonging to the mix, maybe short reverb helps)
+ great heavy drumsound!
+ cool bass-sound
+++ trumpets sounding good in this mix.

jakes:
- maybe presence is a little bit missing
+ cool overall balance
+ i like the tape-style drum sound!

ChampionAudio:
- vocalsound has too much presence, it could be better integrated into the mix, its little bit too loud for my taste
+ tight bass
+ interesting dynamics

girez:
- vox sound a little bit like through a curtain
- overall mix is a little bit muddy & could have less/shorter reverb
+ cool FX (-> gate reverb)
+ nice to listen, warm sound

minor_glitch:
- guitars are a little bit drowning in reverb
- some slight phase problems (e.g. bass drum) here
+ cool guitarsound
+ vox is fine, but little bit harsh

AOS:
- maybe little bit too muddy, some cleaning up & this will be cool
+ heavy rock-like mix
+ tight low end

once a roadie:
- dynamics could be more controlled
+ i like the drum sound, its very "in your face"
+ interesting bass

jakes:
- little bit more dynamic controlling would be beneficial
+ different drums, snare is fat!
+ intesting vox handling
also one of the mixes i like most. a good mastering & this could be fine.

Beanstalk:
- snare
- overall levels (toooo much keys)
+ hm...voice sounded so promising in the intro

menigu:
- drums leveled too low
+ like the vox

fdd:
- maybe the drums could be more in front
- bass has too much lows
+ good balance
+ like the vox

MaTr1x2051:
- the mix & its sounds sound a littlebit thin
- vox is too thin
+ levels are fine
+ i like the dynamics over time

CGBMike:
- drums are a little bit too muddy (bassdrum has too much lows)
+ overall not bad, but needs more work

ericmixer:
+ interesting guitar sound
+ direct/in your face mix
+ interesting drum sound
- overall mix could have more transients/dynamics

studjo:
- reverb on the vox in intro is a little bit confusing me
- mix is little bit flattery, but still ok
+ great drum sound
+ overall balance is very cool, warm sounding
for my taste one of the best mixes!

Ljim:
- delay & vox in general is confusing me, sounds too "spacey"
+ like the drum sound
+ warm low end

further i wanted to say, that the tracks (& esp. the drums!) are very good played & also recorded!
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the feedback! Now I know not to use so much reverb. Lol
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Olof! Awesome dude for doing this!

Downloaded the tracks tonight... So this is my first attempt with this song. heh Mixed ITB except SPX90 for a little tiny snare reverb and Joe Meek C2 on the drum bus. And I didn't have time for automations... or i'm too lazy, well it's 3:45 AM...
As promised:
Love natural vocal sound, smooth, not overly bright. Would love if guitars sounded same way. Now they are a bit too harsh, lack smoothness, hi-fi. Drums sound a bit too dead, dry. But whole mix sound nicely glued together, has enough punch, nice job thumbsup
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
chrisjones:
- maybe a little bit inconsistent (i think its the "outer" guitar which is a little bit too loud)
- trumpets missing....nah...*joke*
+ aggressive/direct mix
+ i like the drum sound!
+ cool FX
i think its one of the best mixes here.
Thanx alot! Haha you have to explain the inconsistent part?(I'm Swedish and my english is not the greatest) heh As I remember I had two sounds for the rythm guitars which I was suppose to switch between different parts. But in mixdown I forgot. Anyways the guitars in general(my mix) has too much upper-mids which I hate, but I do it everytime! Haha and you're right about the trumpet but I was quite aware of it.

And about your mix... you know I like the vocal sound! and everything just seems to fit. The only thing I could think of is maybe the kick drum... Maybe a little more presence...
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioawake View Post
As promised:
Love natural vocal sound, smooth, not overly bright. Would love if guitars sounded same way. Now they are a bit too harsh, lack smoothness, hi-fi. Drums sound a bit too dead, dry. But whole mix sound nicely glued together, has enough punch, nice job thumbsup
Thanx! Haha yeah I even made a comment about my guitar sound in the previous post so I'm with you! When i listened to the mix the morning after those guitars where the first thing I noticed. I have a theory that when mixing late at night I seem to crank those nasty upper-mids.

And the drums... yeah they are dry... But I don't like reverb on drums that much. But I would have loved some room tracks to compress, too bad there wasn't.
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

chris, i meant with inconsistency, that the outer guitar is not snapping into the rest of the mix. this could be frequency/sound, level/dynamics, stereo-width, or FX-wise. so if the guitar would have a little bit lower volume & stereowidth and/or would have different EQing, it would fit more to the rest of the mix. it could also be an option to increase the width of the rest of the mix.

but i have to admit that i like mixes where everything is glued together & "snaps" into each other.
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Nut

Hi guys,

Here's my take on that song. I tried to go for a Tom Petty meets Bryan Adams vibe, trying to make it groovy and sparse. So I muted loads of stuff... heh

No samples on drums, loads of parrallel comp.

RedRoute_mix_ez135.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

If it's not loud enough, turn it up!

It was good practice, thanks to the OP for posting the raw tracks. Got some more bro? Bring them on!

All comments welcomed!

Cheers!

ez135

Last edited by ez135; 30th April 2010 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling...
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Nut

Only just noticed this today. Here's my mix. I hadnt long to work on this and there are some things i'd change but it doesnt sound too bad considering!
I didnt use the brass or strings as I dont feel they are needed to be honest. There are a lot of layers in this anyway and it sounds pretty huge already.
Kid singing reminds me on that guy from the 80s hair metal band White Lion........in fact this song is kinda hair metal in a fun way, solos are very Richie Sambora.
Thanks for uploading the tracks.
Attached Files
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Andreas G:
- levels of some tracks are not perfekt
- little bit too much reverb or too long
+ voice sounds fine
+ warm "tape-ish" sound
Thanks for your time and your effort.
Could you please explain what you meant with your first point...
because to me if the balance isn't right the mix basically sucks, so I'm really curious what you meant here.
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

New Mixing Set-up...

Hey -

I just got a midas and ran my mix through it instead of the folcrom...(my previous mix)...I also adjusted the vocals some.

I could only use two outboard compressors due to the cables I have.

How does it compare to my previous mixes?

Midas is mix 5
Folcrom is mix 4 and lower
Attached Files
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
Thanks for your time and your effort.
Could you please explain what you meant with your first point...
because to me if the balance isn't right the mix basically sucks, so I'm really curious what you meant here.
for my taste i would like to have squashed all guitars more together (0:48). the guitar solo is little bit too loud for me. but thats really "high-level-finetuning" for me. levels of main elements is really fine in your mix!
Old 1st May 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
girez:
- vox sound a little bit like through a curtain
- overall mix is a little bit muddy & could have less/shorter reverb
+ cool FX (-> gate reverb)
+ nice to listen, warm sound
thx 4 ur comment \m/(^^,)

'bout my mix, i'd like to make it not too modern hehhehheh by giving it more reverb (modern musics use slightly reverb nowadays) . . .

Bout your mix, it's cool, really rocks but I couldn't get the perspective for the drums . . . For me, ur lead guitar doesn't take a leading position if it were on stage . . .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search