The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixoff 2010 Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Maniac

Talking my mix base on your mixes

i thought i gave this a tried

this is the first rock song i mix ever (on my own)
i pretty much heard every single mix posted here and use those as guide line

user mixes i used

studjo (i knew that this was analog there was something going on the low end i couldn't get)
andreas G (great stero image, i when with rhythm gtr center tho)
CGBmike (vocals sounded fat what you use)
fdd (really well balanced)

my mix is ITB plugins used waves SSL G, CLA compressors, Analog Trackbox, Tubetech CL1b,Smack LE!, Amplitube 3, RVerb,

master track PuigTec Eqp-1a (to get the low end like studjo but i just couldn't), L3-LL multi.

Enjoy!!!!!
Attached Files
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOS View Post
i when with rhythm gtr center tho)
What??? Big mistake!

Kidding man!

Thanks for sharing your mix, nice. I miss a bit of a driving punch though... what happens with the snare? And why is a lead guitar called lead guitar and lead vocals called lead vocals, I don't mean your mix here specifically though, that's what I noticed on a lot of mixes.

Oh and please don't take me too serious :-)
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Well, here's my attempt at a mix. Let me know what you think!
I just picked up a Chameleon Labs 7802 so this was a great (and fun!) way to put it through its paces.
Attached Files

RedRoute_MinorGlitch.mp3 (5.44 MB, 151 views)

Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
What??? Big mistake!

Kidding man!

Thanks for sharing your mix, nice. I miss a bit of a driving punch though... what happens with the snare? And why is a lead guitar called lead guitar and lead vocals called lead vocals, I don't mean your mix here specifically though, that's what I noticed on a lot of mixes.

Oh and please don't take me too serious :-)

i think the vocals on my mix are up there maybe the lead gtr are a lil burry in the mix (i forgot about these lololol) on the snare i duplicate the original track and add some distortion on the chorus and at the end. why? not sure i will have to think about that one LOLOLOL
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor_glitch View Post
I just picked up a Chameleon Labs 7802 so this was a great (and fun!) way to put it through its paces.
what exactly did you do with it, or on what tracks you used it ??
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I find the spectral balance of your mix fine, I mean how it translate. Perhaps I tried a version with vocals a half dB down plus drums could drive a bit more.
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
what exactly did you do with it, or on what tracks you used it ??
I mostly used it on the vocals with an LA-2Aish setting and a fair amount of drive, but I ran some of the guitars through it too, and I THINK I used it a bit on the drum overheads. Pretty much everything else was ITB.
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
I find the spectral balance of your mix fine, I mean how it translate. Perhaps I tried a version with vocals a half dB down plus drums could drive a bit more.
Thanks! Both good points. In retrospect the drums probably could have used a bit more...oomph. Maybe I should have run the drum buss through some outboard compression too. hmm
Old 23rd April 2010
Gear Nut

Late to the party, I know I downloaded the files weeks ago and finally got around to mixing the song. I mixed in Sonar 8 with mostly Waves and URS plugs. Including the quick and dirty "good enough" master, I spent just over 4 hours on this over the last few days. Comments welcome!
Attached Files

Red Route CA Mix.mp3 (5.24 MB, 144 views)

Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionAudio View Post
Late to the party, I know I downloaded the files weeks ago and finally got around to mixing the song. I mixed in Sonar 8 with mostly Waves and URS plugs. Including the quick and dirty "good enough" master, I spent just over 4 hours on this over the last few days. Comments welcome!
Not bad. The vocals might benefit from being a bit more 'up front' and 'in your face' though. There's also a lead guitar part starting around 1:36 that's completely hidden away on the left in your mix. Kinda wish that it stood out. You can hear what I mean in my mix. Otherwise I'd say it's a decent job.thumbsup
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i thought i gave this a tried

this is the first rock song i mix ever (on my own)
i pretty much heard every single mix posted here and use those as guide line

user mixes i used

studjo (i knew that this was analog there was something going on the low end i couldn't get)
andreas G (great stero image, i when with rhythm gtr center tho)
CGBmike (vocals sounded fat what you use)
fdd (really well balanced)

my mix is ITB plugins used waves SSL G, CLA compressors, Analog Trackbox, Tubetech CL1b,Smack LE!, Amplitube 3, RVerb,

master track PuigTec Eqp-1a (to get the low end like studjo but i just couldn't), L3-LL multi.

Enjoy!!!!!
seriously great mix! I don't like that snare - but who cares heh I like your low end no matter if you match my mix or not and most of all I like your mids and highs which are allways the thing react to first when I hear a ITB mix. Those plugs seem to work for you
Old 26th April 2010
Here for the gear

Here goes my mix :-)
Attached Files
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not bad. The vocals might benefit from being a bit more 'up front' and 'in your face' though. There's also a lead guitar part starting around 1:36 that's completely hidden away on the left in your mix. Kinda wish that it stood out. You can hear what I mean in my mix. Otherwise I'd say it's a decent job.thumbsup
Oh geez... (and out comes the Minnesota in me) I knew I had accounted for that lead part, but I was distracted when some last minute changes to another project landed on my desk just as I was bouncing this one. I went back to look and I managed to bounce the audio with automation disabled on a couple of the tracks! And of course my anal perfectionist nature made me re-tweak a few other things while I was in there(including the vocals). Here's the fixed mix:
Attached Files

Red Route CA Mix.mp3 (5.24 MB, 79 views)

Old 26th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by girez View Post
Here goes my mix :-)
I like your choice of putting the organ up front Snare sounds good, was it a sample or did you get that out of the original track? Overall, though, the mix is way too wet, and it sounded kinda like I had a wool blanket covering my monitors when I played it. It's unfortunately pretty muffled, the highs seem lacking. Did you perhaps mix this on a set of Sony 7506's?

Keep working on it, and check it on some other playback systems. It's a good start!
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Nut

ATTENTION!!!

I'm back after alot of work these last few weeks
and it's time to round things up in this contest.

The deadline for participants is this friday, We are all in different time zones.. so no strict line.. just 24 hours around Friday.

If your mix has not been published on the website: Untitled Document
then this is what you have to do: (Everyone already on the website will automatically be participating with their latest mix)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL CONTESTERS:
----------------------
Send E-mail to:
[email protected]

Subject: Your username, Your forum(ex. Gearslutz)

Message: Link to your mix or Attached (then no greater then 5mb, mp3)
but you are free to send me whatever format you want. However, wav and aiff will be converted to 320kbps mp3, so I recommend you converting yourself to that format.

I will during next week shut down the page (http://www.catherinemusic.se/mixoff.mp3) and oganize everything for the final votes.

There will also be a Jury and hopefully some prices for the winners.

Let me know if you have questions, I will be here often from here on out.

//Olof
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Nut

Last attempt

J.
Attached Files

Red Route-JakesMix.mp3 (5.19 MB, 128 views)

Old 27th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes View Post
Last attempt

J.
Very tight low end, possibly the best lows I've heard so far

However a bunch of the smaller elements are lost in your mix. I can't hear most of the keyboard parts, and the horns are barely audible. The guitar part at around 1:34 has too much verb for my taste, also. On the whole, a very tight and cohesive mix, but I'm missing those extra elements. If I hadn't heard other versions or worked on the mix myself, you would probably have me convinced 100%
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

check it

Had some free time, finally finished the mix!

There you go
Attached Files

Callmydaddymix_steab.mp3 (5.42 MB, 138 views)

Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

once a roadie - final answer

Hey -

Beat this mix up...

I tried to turn the drums down and tame the low end but it is difficult for me.

Final Answer.
Attached Files
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Very tight low end, possibly the best lows I've heard so far

However a bunch of the smaller elements are lost in your mix. I can't hear most of the keyboard parts, and the horns are barely audible. The guitar part at around 1:34 has too much verb for my taste, also. On the whole, a very tight and cohesive mix, but I'm missing those extra elements. If I hadn't heard other versions or worked on the mix myself, you would probably have me convinced 100%
Is this my mix your talking about ?? WOW THANKS ALOT mate - really happy to read this.

If only I had the time to automize the small elements, then this mix would have sound killer I think.
The stuff is really well recorded and played.

J.
Old 27th April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
I like your choice of putting the organ up front Snare sounds good, was it a sample or did you get that out of the original track? Overall, though, the mix is way too wet, and it sounded kinda like I had a wool blanket covering my monitors when I played it. It's unfortunately pretty muffled, the highs seem lacking. Did you perhaps mix this on a set of Sony 7506's?

Keep working on it, and check it on some other playback systems. It's a good start!
geez, thx 4 ur comment . .

for the snare drum, i take it out from its original track, no samplings at all . . I didn't use headset to mix, i used flat monitor . . btw, i tried to get the dynamic of this song coz i dont like something that's over compressed or too loud ( i really hate loudness war) . .

anyway, I really appreciate your comment, thx . .
Old 27th April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olofd View Post
ATTENTION!!!

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL CONTESTERS:
----------------------
Send E-mail to:
[email protected]

Subject: Your username, Your forum(ex. Gearslutz)

Message: Link to your mix or Attached (then no greater then 5mb, mp3)
but you are free to send me whatever format you want. However, wav and aiff will be converted to 320kbps mp3, so I recommend you converting yourself to that format.

//Olof
email sent
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie View Post
Hey -

Beat this mix up...

I tried to turn the drums down and tame the low end but it is difficult for me.

Final Answer.
just a thought after a few seconds: the vocals are not upfront enough - I'd eq em a tiny bit brighter. the snare has a loose feeling to it and I'd prefer having it more in the punchy area (think CLA)
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
seriously great mix! I don't like that snare - but who cares heh I like your low end no matter if you match my mix or not and most of all I like your mids and highs which are allways the thing react to first when I hear a ITB mix. Those plugs seem to work for you
Thanks i tried!!!!

but seriously after listing to your mix few times on my setup i could say that i herd that sound of your console. it has something magical going on around 50hz-300hz very natural sounding warmth, with plugins i had to boost around those frequency and do some math.

thanks for your comments
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Mix Update

Hello folks,
here ist the update of my mix.
Nice to listen to the different mixes in this thread.

Tom
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Addict

Olof! Awesome dude for doing this!

Downloaded the tracks tonight... So this is my first attempt with this song. heh Mixed ITB except SPX90 for a little tiny snare reverb and Joe Meek C2 on the drum bus. And I didn't have time for automations... or i'm too lazy, well it's 3:45 AM...
Attached Files

MIX1.mp3 (5.40 MB, 157 views)

Old 29th April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Oh geez... (and out comes the Minnesota in me) I knew I had accounted for that lead part, but I was distracted when some last minute changes to another project landed on my desk just as I was bouncing this one. I went back to look and I managed to bounce the audio with automation disabled on a couple of the tracks! And of course my anal perfectionist nature made me re-tweak a few other things while I was in there(including the vocals). Here's the fixed mix:
Hv just heard ur mix, okey, here's something in my opinions:

I feel there's too much air & feels it's like floating . . feel there's something's drop after all instruments are coming in before the 1st chorus. . The kick isn't blend with the drum 4 me . . Did u use sampler on the kick???

over all, it's clear enough 4 me to rock, keep up the gudworks
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Nut

So, after some last chance corrections here is my final mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3780100/mixerlt_mix.mp3

Hey olofd, I've been listening to other Catherine songs, and I really dig "When did I stop"
It feels like it has been recorded a bit better then DOARR or is it just me?
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by girez View Post
Hv just heard ur mix, okey, here's something in my opinions:

I feel there's too much air & feels it's like floating . . feel there's something's drop after all instruments are coming in before the 1st chorus. . The kick isn't blend with the drum 4 me . . Did u use sampler on the kick???

over all, it's clear enough 4 me to rock, keep up the gudworks
Yep, you're right about the kick drum, and it was replaced (my first time trying that). Like I said in the post, I was distracted by other stuff. I went back and edited the post to change it to the version that actually got sent to Olof for the mixoff. Give that one a try. As for air, I wanted it to have some pop/rock sparkle, but I actually put a 12 dB/octave HPF at 16.5k on the master to give it more of an analog tape frequency response. Thanks for the comments! And sorry if I came off sounding harsh in my comments to you! I just figured the fairest and most constructive way to respond was to say what I was thinking. The comment about the 7506's was because that was actually an early mistake of mine, several years ago with those very same headphones. I also struggled with mixes being too wet back then. Try pulling the verb back, maybe combine it with a delay for your lead vox. Definitely put a HPF and LPF on the verb return to clear out the clutter that a verb can leave in your mix.

...But I digress. Lemme know what you think of my new version!
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioawake View Post
So, after some last chance corrections here is my final mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3780100/mixerlt_mix.mp3

Hey olofd, I've been listening to other Catherine songs, and I really dig "When did I stop"
It feels like it has been recorded a bit better then DOARR or is it just me?
Love this mix! thumbsup You took it in a completely different direction than I or most others here went with it, but it really works well. After one quick listen, I can't think of anything there that I didn't like. It probably wouldn't have been my personal choice to do it like this, but well done!

...and DropBox is such an awesome useful tool, isn't it? Especially since it's FREE!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search