The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixoff 2010 Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
this is what happens when I have a free afternoon - I kinda liked this thing
Agreed, best so far (aside from the original, ha), though I think the vocal needs riding a bit in the chorus to keep it intelligible.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmixer View Post
ITB. Mastered with C4, Analog2, and L3.

There's a glitch on the turn before verse 2, too busy to rebounce.
Great, stereo image is a tad thin though? Maybe pan out those L / R guitars a little more.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

I'll need to listen again, I'm pretty much an LCR guy though so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiopo View Post
Great, stereo image is a tad thin though? Maybe pan out those L / R guitars a little more.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
I shortened some parts, lengthen the chorus and started with a rough mix. Unfortunately I have no more time right now. I'd like to finish this mix after eastern if that's okay? I really like this song.
Finally I found the time to finish the mix :-)
Attached Files

RedRoad_AndreasG.mp3 (5.38 MB, 311 views)

Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Hey there
Thought I'd give this a shot, never done one of these mix-offs before but I really liked the song. Reminded me of Dizzy-era Goo Goo Dolls.
May give this another shot tomorrow when I have a bit more time - sort some more levels out.

Hope you like!
Attached Files

MikeFinley-RedRouteMix.mp3 (5.39 MB, 240 views)

Old 6th April 2010
So after listening to the track, the song seemed like too much fun to pass up... so here's my mix! Tons of fun doing this!

I've included 2 files here. Neither are exactly what I'd send to a mastering studio, but I can't say that I mastered either one as well. The only difference between the two is the level of compression on the master. The first is closer to a normal mix level before mastering, but I slapped a tad of limiting on it just to catch the loudest transients. The second uses a harsher compression on the final mix, as well as more limiting. The 'mix' is EXACTLY the same on both files. The first is equal to the loudness I'd expect from something mastered around 1990 or 1995, the second closer to stuff from around 2000 or 2005.

I definitely prefer the first

Looking forward to hearing what you all think!
Attached Files

01 Mix_Low Compression.mp3 (9.01 MB, 201 views)

02 Mix_High Compression.mp3 (9.01 MB, 160 views)

Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
did you mix analog on the Harrison? :-) Hybrid? All ITB?
it's all analog - I can't be bothered to be mixing ITB or Hybrid (whatever that means). Mixing all on Harry is so fast for me. That mix took me roughly 4 hours - including preparing all files and output assignement (those damn stereo files heh ). The only plug in I used was the Oxoford dynamics for de-essing (if it would have been a real mix I'd put an analog de-esser on the lead) - ups not true I used ampfarm and amplitude for 2 guitars but that's it.
I really like what analog does to the low end it seems

Jo
Old 6th April 2010
Here for the gear

Hey there

guess i'll give it a shot after i finished my tour this week . . .

Be my friend on myspace if u don't mind
Girez on MySpace

thx
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Jo
What does it do to the low end in your opinion?
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

it makes it full bodied IMVHO
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
it makes it full bodied IMVHO
Understand, well I have not that much issue to get the lows full bodied ITB but there is sometimes a certain smooth presence OTB which I find is hard to get ITB.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Understand, well I have not that much issue to get the lows full bodied ITB but there is sometimes a certain smooth presence OTB which I find is hard to get ITB.
and the hardest part of it all is to put that stuff into words
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up Gotta love analog!

Quote:
it's all analog - I can't be bothered to be mixing ITB or Hybrid (whatever that means). Mixing all on Harry is so fast for me. That mix took me roughly 4 hours - including preparing all files and output assignement (those damn stereo files heh ). The only plug in I used was the Oxoford dynamics for de-essing (if it would have been a real mix I'd put an analog de-esser on the lead) - ups not true I used ampfarm and amplitude for 2 guitars but that's it.

Jo
Well it certainly shows! one more proof that running everything thru high quality analog (desk + outbard) is head and shoulder above the rest! (and the operator's know-how)
I would love you to tell us more about the chain used on key elements (Drums, Gtrs, bass, Vox) if you have time.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

I dunno if this mix is proof of anything besides that I had half a day off

If you think it's really interesting to go through everything I did on this mix since here you are
I'm not doing any black art or have any special tricks. It's all common knowledge in this day and age but I give you a quick run down of what I remember ...
Overall: all eq-ing and filtering was done on the Harrison - Smart C2 on the Master and since I try new things with those mixoffs I put an Aphex Dominator after the C2 - I thought about selling the Dominator but I guess I keep it now. It made the mix brighter and denser
Drums: I compressed the snare with the Harrison compressor and put the drumset into a mult with a SSL-clone (a friend of mine built it and I like it somehow) -> parallel drum mult
Bass: I still figuring out how versatile a Distressor is so I slapped it on the bass and there aren't many signals where I don't like a Distressor ... (I have no clue about the settings - I just fiddle the knobs till I like it)
Guitars: the clean stuff was reamp with plug ins - I'd work on those some more but since it was a mixoff I just went with it - there's certainly some room for improvement right there
Acc git: Harrison compressor - slamming like a SSL comp
Synths: some were compressed (again Harrison)
Vocals: Distressor (again) and some Oxford de-essing

Efx: Lexicon 480 wood room on some stuff - PCM60 for snare - Roland DEP5 delay (I had to check that one out - the TC2290 would have been more to my liking but again I wanted to see where that thing goes. I kinda like it but not really in this track) That delay went into the PCM60 too

I guess that's it. Again I eq-ed everything with the Harrison (voc/acc git/drums ... you name it)

in short one drum mult and that's it

Jo
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I dunno if this mix is proof of anything besides that I had half a day off

If you think it's really interesting to go through everything I did on this mix since here you are
I'm not doing any black art or have any special tricks. It's all common knowledge in this day and age but I give you a quick run down of what I remember ...
Overall: all eq-ing and filtering was done on the Harrison - Smart C2 on the Master and since I try new things with those mixoffs I put an Aphex Dominator after the C2 - I thought about selling the Dominator but I guess I keep it now. It made the mix brighter and denser
Drums: I compressed the snare with the Harrison compressor and put the drumset into a mult with a SSL-clone (a friend of mine built it and I like it somehow) -> parallel drum mult
Bass: I still figuring out how versatile a Distressor is so I slapped it on the bass and there aren't many signals where I don't like a Distressor ... (I have no clue about the settings - I just fiddle the knobs till I like it)
Guitars: the clean stuff was reamp with plug ins - I'd work on those some more but since it was a mixoff I just went with it - there's certainly some room for improvement right there
Acc git: Harrison compressor - slamming like a SSL comp
Synths: some were compressed (again Harrison)
Vocals: Distressor (again) and some Oxford de-essing

Efx: Lexicon 480 wood room on some stuff - PCM60 for snare - Roland DEP5 delay (I had to check that one out - the TC2290 would have been more to my liking but again I wanted to see where that thing goes. I kinda like it but not really in this track) That delay went into the PCM60 too

I guess that's it. Again I eq-ed everything with the Harrison (voc/acc git/drums ... you name it)

in short one drum mult and that's it

Jo
Thanks! I know there isn't any black magic voodoo, most comes from the operator not the gear, but it's interresting nonetheless to see what your workflow was. Actually not very complicated if that's all you used, goes to show that good gain staging and know-how is key (the desk certainly didn't hurt either!)

I know too well what you mean by "there's certainly some room for improvement ". Everytime I listen to some of my recent mixes, I always spot a few things I wished I tweaked a little more, or stuff that fell through the cracks (pops, fadeouts, volume rides etc...)

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I write, produce, record, mix, and always learn a thing or two watching someone else do the same
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
Anyway, thanks for the reply. I write, produce, record, mix, and always learn a thing or two watching someone else do the same
well that's why we're here - to learn a thing or two heh
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Nut

Thumbs up Thanks, olofd!

First of all, thanks for sharing the tracks, the song is really catchy
Secondly, I feel in love with acoustic guitars, they are very clean, but with sparkly shimmery and really nice top end.
Other tracks are not bad too, definitely workable quality and performance isn't that bad too, so compliments again!

Listening to others mixes, there are couple of good ones, but studjo's mix is my favorite for now. It's a bit messy in the bottom end, but overall pretty good. thumbsup

//And now here's my entry:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3780100/mixerlt_mix.mp3

Old 8th April 2010
fdd
Here for the gear

Nice song man I've decided not to use phone intro and brass/strings parts as i hated the sound- soz

my attempt ->
Attached Files

Driving on a red route fdd.mp3 (5.20 MB, 199 views)

Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally I found the time to finish the mix :-)

Did you use you plate Andreas? Cool mix - I dig your stuff man!

Fanfar didilii dooo!
Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Did you use you plate Andreas? Cool mix - I dig your stuff man!

Fanfar didilii dooo!
Hey bro what's up? Everything well with you and your family?

Thanks for your kind words means a lot to me, you critical bastard hahaha...

Not quite sure what you mean with your question, I used a couple of reverbs but not a real plate. What reverb sound exactly do you mean?

Later...
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey bro what's up? Everything well with you and your family?

Thanks for your kind words means a lot to me, you critical bastard hahaha...

Not quite sure what you mean with your question, I used a couple of reverbs but not a real plate. What reverb sound exactly do you mean?

Later...
Everything is tip top with me and the family. Hope you guys are good to.

Don't you own a real plate? Or was it a wet dream I had long time ago heh

I notice that your mix had something organic happening between his voice and the rest of the mix. Remember I have never owned or tried a real plate in my whole life so I can only guess.

Your spice up of my acoustic song 'lucky' sounded so good. You really got the levels right and made the song feel warm and loving.

I have a couple of new songs on my sketch board that I'm going to PM you soon.

Take care brother -
Old 10th April 2010
Gear Addict

Ok
here is a rough of it

DOARR.MP3
Rough 1

So far... i liked the Gizmozis mix ( on the olof page ) refer to post #1 here
but many
mixes seems to have replaced the original drum tracks specially snare and kick

Enjoy
Rolo.
Attached Files

DOARR.mp3 (5.18 MB, 124 views)

Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Don't you own a real plate? Or was it a wet dream I had long time ago heh
I think it was a rather wet dream, I don't own a real plate :-)

For the vocals in this mix I used a combination of an old EMT 245 reverb, the stock Logic convolution reverb with a IR titled 1.9s_Large Stage Guitar and a the Soundtoys Echoboy plugin with a setting called CH-1 Chorus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo95 View Post
but many
There are no drum replacements in my mix.
Old 11th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

I dont say yours.... but many seems to ...
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it was a rather wet dream, I don't own a real plate :-)

For the vocals in this mix I used a combination of an old EMT 245 reverb, the stock Logic convolution reverb with a IR titled 1.9s_Large Stage Guitar and a the Soundtoys Echoboy plugin with a setting called CH-1 Chorus.

Thanks Andreas for the info/tip. Sounds great bro.
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo95 View Post
Ok
here is a rough of it

Index of /MusicAndMedia/ROLO

driving on a red route.mp3
MIX 1

So far... i liked the Gizmozis mix
but many

Enjoy
Rolo.
Nice idea to keep the guitars so clean in the intro - I was thinking about doing the same but I kinda missed the "amp-thing" - I'd go for a crunchier sound in the second verse though
btw as allready stated: no samples in my mix either
Old 11th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I'd be interested in hearing the OP's thoughts, any sign of him lately?

And no samples in my mix either, just fyi
Old 11th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nice idea to keep the guitars so clean in the intro - I was thinking about doing the same but I kinda missed the "amp-thing" - I'd go for a crunchier sound in the second verse though
btw as allready stated: no samples in my mix either
Yeah... i miss the amp thing... anyway...
the mix i was talking about is the one on olof page on his 1st post
when he comp the versions... however

he needs to update that with all the Gearslutz mixes as he only have one there

Nice work studjo
Old 11th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGBMike View Post
I'd be interested in hearing the OP's thoughts, any sign of him lately?

And no samples in my mix either, just fyi
\

yeah... hes M.I.A.
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Addict

no more takers ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search