The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My first project with my new SSL Alphalink converters! Condenser Microphones
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

My first project with my new SSL Alphalink converters!

Hey guys,

I just finished mixing the first song out of three that I produced last week for a band. I'll finish mixing the two other songs tomorrow. This is the same band that you heard in my previous thread except that they have a new guitar player and a keyboard player. Remember that their guitar player and all time friend hung himself 2 weeks after our last recording in December 2009. That was a really bad news... I'm glad the guys decided to move forward continue their project with a new band name and new members!

Those songs were recorded using my new SSL ALPHA LINK MADI AX 24 i/o converters. I sold my MOTU 896 and MOTU 828.

Here's some geeky infos:

DRUMS
DW Kit with a 26 inches kick, 14x6.5 snare
Kick: Audix D6 + AKG414 (kick drum tunnel)
Snare: Audix i5 (top) + SM57 (bottom)
Toms: MD421
HH: SE1A
OH: Rode NT1000
Room Mics: APEX 190

BASS
Fender Jaguar 4 string (made in Japan)
SansAmp RBI
DBX 160X

GUITARS
Left = GIBSON LESPAUL STUDIO, Peavy 6505+, MESA CAB, 57
Right = GIBSON ES335 (figured top reissue, 1960s), Peavy 6505+, MESA CAB, 57

VOCALS
Rode NT2000
SPL TrackOne

Everything was recorded using my Midas Venice 240 preamps and EQ. It was mixed in the box using Cubase 5 plugins, UAD plugins, Waves plugins. The drum reverb is a Yamaha SPX90 (outboard) and the master buss compressor was a API 2500 (outboard).

Here's the link: PLAYER HERE

Comments are welcome!

Thanks!
LT
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds great bro! cool song. great recording and production and killer mix. i expect nothing less from ya! thanks for sharing
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks bro! I'll fix the low-end on the bass guitar and post a new version!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
Those songs were recorded using my new SSL ALPHA LINK MADI AX 24 i/o converters. I sold my MOTU 896 and MOTU 828.
On my iPhone so haven't listened yet but what do you think of the SSL set-up?

I was just looking into that last night.

R.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
On my iPhone so haven't listened yet but what do you think of the SSL set-up?

I was just looking into that last night.

R.
This was my first project that I did the recording with my SSL. Since I bought them I made a lot of mixing but the converters were only used for the external plugins (API 2500 and Yamaha SPX90) so I didn't really noticed any difference. I'm not a purist or scientist and I will never be. It's impossible to A/B the SSL with my previous MOTU. The only way I could have compared the converters would have been to record everything with both converters at the same time BUT one thing for sure, on this project I've got my best results regarding my drum sounds, bass and guitar tones. Is it because of the SSL or is it because of the time I spent on the sound check, the instruments, the players, the experience I gained during my last projects? I'll never know. What I can tell though, is that the SSL converters are working like a charm, the interface looks great, I didn't have any issues with them, they clock really fast, the meters are well designed and now I feel confident about my converters.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Sounds really great! Just wondering how you are interfacing the new converters with your DAW? Are you going in/out via MADI or ADAT? Did you get one of the SSL PCIe MADI cards?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughton View Post
Sounds really great! Just wondering how you are interfacing the new converters with your DAW? Are you going in/out via MADI or ADAT? Did you get one of the SSL PCIe MADI cards?
I use a MADI AX PCIe card.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear
Hey Luc, sounds great and the production is awesome. Noticed you switched up the kick and room mics for this track and was wondering why you chose to do that? And how much do the room mics attribute to the drum sound in this song?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Hey Luc, sounds great and the production is awesome. Noticed you switched up the kick and room mics for this track and was wondering why you chose to do that? And how much do the room mics attribute to the drum sound in this song?
Well, for the kick drums I used a drum tunnel for the first time in my life. I forgot to put it in the list at the beginning of the thread. I used to use the Shure Beta 52A for kick and since I bought the Audix D6, I had better results. I used a AKG414 at the end of the drum kick tunnel. For the room mics, I tried those cheap Apex 190 mics and it sounded like I wanted my room tracks to sound so I just used it. The room is a big part of the drum sound in this mix but the overhead were used even more. I didn't use any snare sample during the verses. The sample is unmuted during the intro and choruses. That's what why you can hear the ghost notes and stuff clearly in the verses. So what you hear in the verses is the drum kit without any samples. The sound comes mostly from the overhead and room mics. The snare sample is also muted on every drum fills.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, for the kick drums I used a drum tunnel for the first time in my life. I forgot to put it in the list at the beginning of the thread. I used to use the Shure Beta 52A for kick and since I bought the Audix D6, I had better results. I used a AKG414 at the end of the drum kick tunnel. For the room mics, I tried those cheap Apex 190 mics and it sounded like I wanted my room tracks to sound so I just used it. The room is a big part of the drum sound in this mix but the overhead were used even more. I didn't use any snare sample during the verses. The sample is unmuted during the intro and choruses. That's what why you can hear the ghost notes and stuff clearly in the verses. So what you hear in the verses is the drum kit without any samples. The sound comes mostly from the overhead and room mics. The snare sample is also muted on every drum fills.
Cool. What did you use to make the tunnel and how far out did it go? And how far back and how high do you place your room mics?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. What did you use to make the tunnel and how far out did it go? And how far back and how high do you place your room mics?
I'm currently taking pictures of the setup (for recall purposes) and I'll post them.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac

This is BY FAR !!! the best thing you ever recorded (sonically). In my own opininon i would put the guitar solo a little bit louder, not too much, just a little bit. LOVE the kick sound, the drum tunnel add so much to the sound. The snare sound .......how can i describe it in one word....... F.U.C.K. !!. i really dig the pitch-shifted (dive bomb) guitar at the beginning sounds like a digitech whammy. love the sound you get from your 6505+. Vocal-wise. MAN !! what did you do to make them sound THAT GOOD !!???!! By far one of the best vocal sound i heard this year (and yes i compare it with Major Label ****z). Finally, the bass, she's just ''there'' you hear it perfectlly. Listened the song verry loud with a lot of bass and it give me some ''kick'' on the chest !! your bass sound + your kick sound = KILLER !!

Très...très.....TRÈS belle job mon Luc !!

Vince
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Pictures

Here's a picture of the drum kit and the guitar cab!
Attached Thumbnails
My first project with my new SSL Alphalink converters!-playdates-drum-kit.jpg   My first project with my new SSL Alphalink converters!-playdates-guitar.jpg  
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Latulippe View Post
This is BY FAR !!! the best thing you ever recorded (sonically). In my own opininon i would put the guitar solo a little bit louder, not too much, just a little bit. LOVE the kick sound, the drum tunnel add so much to the sound. The snare sound .......how can i describe it in one word....... F.U.C.K. !!. i really dig the pitch-shifted (dive bomb) guitar at the beginning sounds like a digitech whammy. love the sound you get from your 6505+. Vocal-wise. MAN !! what did you do to make them sound THAT GOOD !!???!! By far one of the best vocal sound i heard this year (and yes i compare it with Major Label ****z). Finally, the bass, she's just ''there'' you hear it perfectlly. Listened the song verry loud with a lot of bass and it give me some ''kick'' on the chest !! your bass sound + your kick sound = KILLER !!

Très...très.....TRÈS belle job mon Luc !!

Vince
Thanks man!

I used a drum kick tunnel for 2 reasons:

1) Remove the kick from the overheads and room mics
2) Remove the kit from the kick mics

I'm planning to buy a Yamaha Subkick really soon!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Here's a picture of the drum kit and the guitar cab!

Thx Luc. A question about your tracking room.....do you only have the one ceiling cloud above the drum kit or is there another that's just not in the photo? And how far back are the room mics?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thx Luc. A question about your tracking room.....do you only have the one ceiling cloud above the drum kit or is there another that's just not in the photo? And how far back are the room mics?
I have 3 ceiling clouds and here's a picture of the room mics.
Attached Thumbnails
My first project with my new SSL Alphalink converters!-playdates-room-mics.jpg  
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

New Version Online

Hey guys,

I posted a new version of the song! I did some edits:

-Brought up the overhead a little bit
-Brought up the bass guitar and added a little more low-end to it
-Fixed the beginning of the guitar solo that was burried a bit by the vocals

Note: Make sure you empty your browser's cache files to hear the newer version!

Let me know if you have any constructive comments on the mix!

Thanks!
LT
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
I have 3 ceiling clouds and here's a picture of the room mics.
From the sounds of your productions and looking at the first pic you put up of the drum kit you'd think your drum room's a lot bigger, but the drums are practically in the middle of the room. Goes to show you don't need a huge space to make big sounding recordings. Are the room mics in ortf in that pic?

EDIT: Listening on headphones through my laptop the intro lead sounds a little buried...maybe bring it up a bit?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
From the sounds of your productions and looking at the first pic you put up of the drum kit you'd think your drum room's a lot bigger, but the drums are practically in the middle of the room. Goes to show you don't need a huge space to make big sounding recordings. Are the room mics in ortf in that pic?

EDIT: Listening on headphones through my laptop the intro lead sounds a little buried...maybe bring it up a bit?
My room isn't that small, it's medium but any drum kit well tuned will sound amazing in that room. There's a picture of the room mics above. Look how they were placed, almost like a binaural head mic would capture the sound. They are pointing left and right at opposite place right in front of the drum kit. They capture how it sounds where you're in the room standing right in front of the kit. You can always send your room mics to a good reverb to make it sound bigger later in the mix. As I said in previous threads, I use room mics for 'ambiance' and reverb (Yamaha SPX90) for decay and space.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Luc. Great production as always. My only criticism is the overheads. I'm most likely the minority here but IMO, the cymbals seem to be "disconnected" from the snare in the chorus. The kit sounds more "connected" or "together" when the drummer is playing the hi hats. I guess what I mean the cymbals and the snare sound like they are in different spaces.

Other than that, everything sounds great.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
Hey Luc. Great production as always. My only criticism is the overheads. I'm most likely the minority here but IMO, the cymbals seem to be "disconnected" from the snare in the chorus. The kit sounds more "connected" or "together" when the drummer is playing the hi hats. I guess what I mean the cymbals and the snare sound like they are in different spaces.

Other than that, everything sounds great.
I think I know what you mean. I used more of the room mics during the chorus.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

New Song Posted!

Hey,

The second song called "Goodbye Haley" is posted!

PLAYER HERE

Waiting for your comments!

Thanks
LT
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Awesome Luc! One minor thing is the opening of Goodbye Haley I feel like when the drums guitars hit in the beginning there should be more impact for the start. Other than that perfect. Actually I take that back just listened louder and its perfect to me.

Can I ask what year gibson studio do you have? And do you have a pic? Really love your guitar sounds!
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyru View Post
Can I ask what year gibson studio do you have? And do you have a pic? Really love your guitar sounds!
Thanks man!

It's a Gibson Lespaul Studio made @ Nashville Plant, TN, USA on June 7th, 2008. The other guitar we used was a Gibson ES335 figured top 1960 re-issue.
Attached Thumbnails
My first project with my new SSL Alphalink converters!-lpstawgh_les_paul_studio_h.jpg  
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear
Goodbye Hailey sounds awesome man. Still can't believe you get those kind of levels without using a limiter/clipper. heh
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Goodbye Hailey sounds awesome man. Still can't believe you get those kind of levels without using a limiter/clipper. heh
Thanks man! Honestly, I was hoping someone would comment on the fact that those masters weren't as loud as I usually do. I got sick of the loudness war and I decided to make it sound good rather than loud. People will simply have turn the volume knob. That's what we usually do when something is not loud enough, right?
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks man! Honestly, I was hoping someone would comment on the fact that those masters weren't as loud as I usually do. I got sick of the loudness war and I decided to make it sound good rather than loud. People will simply have turn the volume knob. That's what we usually do when something is not loud enough, right?
That's even better then....they still sound loud and you're not pushing it as hard. What's the rms on these tracks btw?
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's even better then....they still sound loud and you're not pushing it as hard. What's the rms on these tracks btw?
Between -9.5 and -10.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Between -9.5 and -10.
So a couple db lower than what you're used to. I've been focusing more on mastering my own stuff lately but -12 rms seems to be as high as I can go without pumping or loosing punch. I think I have to pay more attention to peaks in the individual tracks. Out of curiosity, is there anything you do limit in a mix to control peaks?
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey,

The second song called "Goodbye Haley" is posted!

PLAYER HERE

Waiting for your comments!

Thanks
LT
Sounds very good to me! If ever the guitars might be a tad to much ducked by the snare/drums... but hey I'm a guitar player :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search