The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My first project with my new SSL Alphalink converters! Condenser Microphones
Old 28th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
Thank you very much! All the gear and details about my studio is listed on my website in the Studio section.
I've definitely looked on there. To be honest I've spent at least 5 hours worth of listening to all your mixes on repeat lol.. I love your work. I honestly think the playdates recordings are the best mixes I've ever heard. I can't get over how good the vocals and drums sound.

I have a question, and I know it will sound stupid. How do you have that alphalink hooked up? What are you actually plugging your mic cables into. I've only worked with lower quality hardware like 8 channel firewire interfaces. I don't understand how all these devices work that say there are 24 inputs and stuff but just these weird ports lol.. Are you using optical? What is it plugged into?

I guess what I'm confused about is 1. what ultimately plugs into your DAW computer, and 2. what do you plug all your mics into?

Thanks for the info
Old 28th June 2010
Gear Nut

Oh I think I'm beginning to understand.

You use XLR to d-sub cables from your console into the alphalink, right? Then where does the alphalink go? To a sound card in your daw or something?
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjake88x View Post
Oh I think I'm beginning to understand.

You use XLR to d-sub cables from your console into the alphalink, right? Then where does the alphalink go? To a sound card in your daw or something?
Exactly. Then the Alphalink goes to the MADI PCI card using an optical cable.
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Yeah you nailed it once again Luc - incredible job. I love the punch and dimension you've achieved on these tracks, and they sound Slamming from top to bottom.

On my speakers (only Mackie HR824s with a sub - nothing fancy unfortunately) they sound HUUUGE

Kudos Luc!!!

cheers

Geoff
Old 30th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Duncan View Post
Yeah you nailed it once again Luc - incredible job. I love the punch and dimension you've achieved on these tracks, and they sound Slamming from top to bottom.

On my speakers (only Mackie HR824s with a sub - nothing fancy unfortunately) they sound HUUUGE

Kudos Luc!!!

cheers

Geoff
Thank you very much! Funny, I mix on Mackie HR824 with a sub!

Hey guys, by the way I posted a new project I just finished:

Thread here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...-greenday.html
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

wow! my studio has a similar setup to yours and my mixes are nowhere near as good as yours... i'm extremely jealous. these songs sound huge!

the drums sound big and loud without overpowering the rest of the song. something i've been trying to accomplish in my mixes for a long time.

to me, this really shows that you don't need to mix OTB to get a huge mix. it really comes down to a great song and arrangement.

great job!
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Wink

Amazing!! sounds Pro to me.

I have the same setup with the midas 320 and was wondering if you have ever tryed it as a summing mixer and what the results compared to mixing in the box were.

this blew me away nice ears!!
Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx View Post
wow! my studio has a similar setup to yours and my mixes are nowhere near as good as yours... i'm extremely jealous. these songs sound huge!

the drums sound big and loud without overpowering the rest of the song. something i've been trying to accomplish in my mixes for a long time.

to me, this really shows that you don't need to mix OTB to get a huge mix. it really comes down to a great song and arrangement.

great job!
Thank you very much! I totally agree... song writing and arrangement comes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
Amazing!! sounds Pro to me.

I have the same setup with the midas 320 and was wondering if you have ever tryed it as a summing mixer and what the results compared to mixing in the box were.

this blew me away nice ears!!
Thanks man! I answered your PM!
Old 17th July 2010
Gear Addict

Sounds good! Now give me my paycheck! heh Just kiddin'... Awesome work Luc!
Old 17th July 2010
Gear Head
I can't stand that awesome sound! I just wet my panties... It is 110 % GREATNESS!!! Superior!!

It sounds great even on my small silly computer speakers but it was when playing on my ATC's I had that little accident...
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear

Cool! What's the in the vocal chain comp-wise?
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear Maniac

Man...that sounds absolutely great!
Would you care to share some of your standard techniques on drum mixing? Obviously each song calls for something different, but lets say for the average pop rock mix, what are some techniques that you tend to come back to for your sound? Like what elements do you like to compress/eq to get that bite and edge? I guess kinda just a starting point.
Thanks!
Old 5th August 2010
Here for the gear

You remind me of a band called Relient K...

but the mix is amazing... i mean top notch, i could hear it on a radio any time.
really awesome stuff
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Sounds good! Now give me my paycheck! heh Just kiddin'... Awesome work Luc!
Haha! Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroSonic View Post
I can't stand that awesome sound! I just wet my panties... It is 110 % GREATNESS!!! Superior!!

Too much details.. but thanks hehe

It sounds great even on my small silly computer speakers but it was when playing on my ATC's I had that little accident...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBackwardsman View Post
Cool! What's the in the vocal chain comp-wise?
Neuman TLM 103 - SPL Track One in limit mode, 1176LN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjohnny View Post
Man...that sounds absolutely great!
Would you care to share some of your standard techniques on drum mixing? Obviously each song calls for something different, but lets say for the average pop rock mix, what are some techniques that you tend to come back to for your sound? Like what elements do you like to compress/eq to get that bite and edge? I guess kinda just a starting point.
Thanks!
Thanks man! I would suggest you read my previous posts in different other threads. I explained in details some of the processing I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protonxl View Post
You remind me of a band called Relient K...

but the mix is amazing... i mean top notch, i could hear it on a radio any time.
really awesome stuff
Thanks man! By the way, I'm a big fan of Relient K.
Old 21st August 2010
Here for the gear

UNLUCKY The GFW was Hexie myspace 、twitter und facebook.......
We Chink Cant open it
Would you mind post a copy to Sina Blog ......thanks
Old 22nd August 2010
converters...

Mixes sound great btw. (through headphones on my macbook)
In regards to your ssl converters. Would you say it helped clear up your mixes some, perhaps gave them some clarity or punch? That's my biggest issue with my mixes they sound good but when I really listen to them I feel there's some intricacies that I just can't clear up no matter what I tweak. Everything I've read about higher end converters talks about those type of issues being cleaned up a bit.
Old 22nd August 2010
Here for the gear

man you are amazing ,I wish I could meet you someday and show me some tricks and learn from you.
Old 22nd August 2010
criticism from a guy who heard your older mixes

well, the snare is too poppy.. it sticks out.. and has this unpleasent mid-range bump. the synths are interfering witht he vocals espacially in the song Goodbye Haley.

the drumsounds are kinda weak for your production-style, why is that?

cheers
G
Old 23rd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsoundmind View Post
Mixes sound great btw. (through headphones on my macbook)
In regards to your ssl converters. Would you say it helped clear up your mixes some, perhaps gave them some clarity or punch? That's my biggest issue with my mixes they sound good but when I really listen to them I feel there's some intricacies that I just can't clear up no matter what I tweak. Everything I've read about higher end converters talks about those type of issues being cleaned up a bit.
I would say I heard a difference since I started using the SSL converters. I switched from MOTU 896/MOTU828 to SSL Alphalink, that's kinda of big change! I've recording and mixing so many projects since I bought them, don't forget this thread is old and it was my first one using the SSL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meliosk View Post
man you are amazing ,I wish I could meet you someday and show me some tricks and learn from you.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
criticism from a guy who heard your older mixes

well, the snare is too poppy.. it sticks out.. and has this unpleasent mid-range bump. the synths are interfering witht he vocals espacially in the song Goodbye Haley.

the drumsounds are kinda weak for your production-style, why is that?

cheers
G
Well I don't know what to say about that! I like the drums on this project and I really don't feel they are weak. Althought, I respect your opinion!
Old 26th August 2010
Gear Maniac

This sounds stellar! Excellent job, is the paramore snare sneakily blended in there? At times it really sounds like it, if not, great great job on getting a snare sound so similar. All those mixes sound ridiculous, everything blends well, drums are big, vocals are pretty big and in your face, everything is very well ridden. Congratulations !
Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptz View Post
This sounds stellar! Excellent job, is the paramore snare sneakily blended in there? At times it really sounds like it, if not, great great job on getting a snare sound so similar. All those mixes sound ridiculous, everything blends well, drums are big, vocals are pretty big and in your face, everything is very well ridden. Congratulations !
Hey man, thanks your comment! The only samples blended in the tracks are the one made during the session. I always have to repeat myself on that but I only use my custom made samples that I create at every session. Every songs need a different drum sounds and I really enjoy creating drum sounds on my own, I'm a drummer.

Good news everyone, two majors labels are interested in signing this project! Wish me good luck with them!
Old 27th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
Hey man, thanks your comment! The only samples blended in the tracks are the one made during the session. I always have to repeat myself on that but I only use my custom made samples that I create at every session. Every songs need a different drum sounds and I really enjoy creating drum sounds on my own, I'm a drummer.

Good news everyone, two majors labels are interested in signing this project! Wish me good luck with them!
good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search