The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My first project with my new SSL Alphalink converters! Condenser Microphones
Old 31st March 2010
  #31
Gear Addict
 
tvboy123's Avatar
 

The song and mix both sound awesome, very nice indeed very impressive!
Old 31st March 2010
  #32
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
Sounds very good to me! If ever the guitars might be a tad to much ducked by the snare/drums... but hey I'm a guitar player :-)
Ahhh guitar players... kidding! thanks man! heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvboy123 View Post
The song and mix both sound awesome, very nice indeed very impressive!
Thank you!
Old 1st April 2010
  #33
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Last song posted!

The third and last song from this project is now online. It's called "Just Like The Movies". It's my favorite song out of the 3. It was recorded 4 months ago with the MOTUs so this can explain the difference of sound between the 2 first songs. This song didn't fit with their previous band (16th Avenue) and they wanted to keep it for this new project with new band members. So during that last session in which we recorded the 2 first songs, we added some elements to the song and I remixed it. Let me know what you guys think!

PLAYER HERE

Thanks!
LT
Old 2nd April 2010
  #34
Lives for gear
 
once a roadie's Avatar
are these all mixed on the midas?
Old 2nd April 2010
  #35
Here for the gear
 

Hi Luc, amazing production and mix! What kind of Motu was used for the third song before you started using the Alphalink? HD192 or 2408/24io?

Two thumbs up
Old 2nd April 2010
  #36
Lives for gear
 
StillCrazy's Avatar
 

TUNES

Sounds sweet.

Nice writing and playing.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #37
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie View Post
are these all mixed on the midas?
Mixed in the box in Cubase 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbazz View Post
Hi Luc, amazing production and mix! What kind of Motu was used for the third song before you started using the Alphalink? HD192 or 2408/24io?

Two thumbs up
Thanks man! I had a MOTU 896 and a MOTU 828. I have the Alphalink MADI AX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
Sounds sweet.

Nice writing and playing.
Thanks!
Old 3rd April 2010
  #38
Gear Head
 

Hey Luctellier big fan of your work so when I saw you did a new mix with the SSL I had to come check it out. I don't know if there is a difference in the way you mic'd it, tuned it, etc, or if its the SSL, but your snare sound is wayyyy better than anything I heard you put out before. Its way more punchy and much less sample sounding. Before you kind of had this fizzy, thick "in a not so good sample kind of way" sounding snare but wow this is one of the best snare sounds I've heard on any song in a little while. Sounds like you have more room sound in it too. It actually reminds me of Blink-182 enema of the state but with a little less ring. But anyways great job hope to hear more with the new gear soon!
Old 6th April 2010
  #39
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker View Post
Hey Luctellier big fan of your work so when I saw you did a new mix with the SSL I had to come check it out. I don't know if there is a difference in the way you mic'd it, tuned it, etc, or if its the SSL, but your snare sound is wayyyy better than anything I heard you put out before. Its way more punchy and much less sample sounding. Before you kind of had this fizzy, thick "in a not so good sample kind of way" sounding snare but wow this is one of the best snare sounds I've heard on any song in a little while. Sounds like you have more room sound in it too. It actually reminds me of Blink-182 enema of the state but with a little less ring. But anyways great job hope to hear more with the new gear soon!
Thanks man! I recorded 4 projects so far with the SSL and I also feel I got better result in sound quality. I don't know if it's the SSL converters (must be a difference for sure) or the experience I gained recently but there's something that sound different. Sounds like a got rid of a digital harshness I had with the MOTU and also some noises. I just finished recording a more organic and natural sounding project yesterday. We are not using any drum samples on this project. I'll post it soon!
Old 13th April 2010
  #40
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
#2 on PureVolume!

Hey,

Good news! The band is currently #2 on Pure Volume's Top Songs Chart All Genres (Signed and Unsigned Artists). The band is also featured on Pure Volume's main page!

LT
Old 14th April 2010
  #41
Gear Nut
 

I always really like listening to your songs/mixes Luc!

Your guitar sound is awesome for the punk-rock genre

Was a treat to listen to, only think the keyboard melody might have too many high´s and it gets a bit tiresome when you listen to it loud, maybe soften those highs?

I´m listening on headphones though!

P.S - Liked all the other songs on the player too!
Old 15th April 2010
  #42
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Rodrigues View Post
I always really like listening to your songs/mixes Luc!

Your guitar sound is awesome for the punk-rock genre

Was a treat to listen to, only think the keyboard melody might have too many high´s and it gets a bit tiresome when you listen to it loud, maybe soften those highs?

I´m listening on headphones though!

P.S - Liked all the other songs on the player too!
Thank you very much man!
Old 6th June 2010
  #43
Lives for gear
 
ProducerBoy's Avatar
 

As usual, I'm super impressed! What sample rate did you track at with the SSL?
Old 6th June 2010
  #44
Gear Addict
 
FredYeah's Avatar
 

The awesomeness is dripping from my speakers. I want to buy this album where Goodbye Hayley is on thumbsup
Old 7th June 2010
  #45
Lives for gear
 
subby33's Avatar
 

This sounds so damn good.
Old 7th June 2010
  #46
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
As usual, I'm super impressed! What sample rate did you track at with the SSL?
44.1khz. 24bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah View Post
The awesomeness is dripping from my speakers. I want to buy this album where Goodbye Hayley is on thumbsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 View Post
This sounds so damn good.
Thank you guys! The song Just Like The Movies is spinning on so many radios in Canada and the US and is going up on the chart! I really happy with this project! They will be opening for 3 Doors Down and Down With Webster.
Old 7th June 2010
  #47
Gear Head
Uhhhh Those Gibsons.... They are better than sex!!!

It sounds fantastic man! SPX90 is the way to go!! :-)
Old 9th June 2010
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Audio Hombre's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
BUT one thing for sure, on this project I've got my best results regarding my drum sounds, bass and guitar tones. Is it because of the SSL or is it because of the time I spent on the sound check, the instruments, the players, the experience I gained during my last projects? I'll never know.
you're liking the drums more, especially,thanks to the improved clock
Old 9th June 2010
  #49
Lives for gear
 
tazman's Avatar
 

Do you do any compressing/EQ'ing on individual tracks on the way in or just during mixing?

Thanks,
Old 9th June 2010
  #50
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Do you do any compressing/EQ'ing on individual tracks on the way in or just during mixing?

Thanks,
I tend to scoop some low-mids on the kick mic, compress a dB or two on the top snare mic using a DBX160X and I also have a mono-room mic limited with my SPL TrackOne. Bass, guitars and vocals I don't EQ on the way in. I might sometimes high-pass and/or low-pass guitars but I will try moving the mic or changing the amp settings first.
Old 10th June 2010
  #51
Lives for gear
 
tazman's Avatar
 

Cool, thanks. I've been trying to record the sound I want up front, including comp and EQ as much as possible. It's a bit unnvering knowing you can't undo it later, but I like the workflow.
Old 10th June 2010
  #52
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Cool, thanks. I've been trying to record the sound I want up front, including comp and EQ as much as possible. It's a bit unnvering knowing you can't undo it later, but I like the workflow.
If you're know exactly what you're looking for, tracking it the way you want it is the way to go. You shouldn't mind that you can't undo it later. Move forward, never go back.
Old 12th June 2010
  #53
Lives for gear
 
tazman's Avatar
 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing. It's actually liberating in a lot of ways.
Old 17th June 2010
  #54
Gear Addict
 
synthetic's Avatar
 

Hey I came here just searching for Alphalink examples but the music totally rocked my world. Great songs, production and mix. My only comment is that the keyboard sound in Goodbye Hailey started to grate after a while, maybe it shouldn't play through the whole song.

I thought the first two sounded clearer than the last one, then read that the last was tracked on MOTU converters. So I got what I came for after all.

Thanks for posting these.
Old 17th June 2010
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Rotaholic's Avatar
 

Love it, sounds awesome. The only thing is, well for my taste I dont like synth part that is all the way through the song, its a little bit distracting, maybe a bit loud or over used, may be better panned somewhere with reverb and down in the mix?
Failing that amazing work.
Old 23rd June 2010
  #56
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

I'm curious what most people are listening to this song on as I think this will really make a difference. I first heard it on my laptop via headphones, and like most of Luc's work, thought it was quite good. But I called it up again while working in a studio down south I work out of quite often and it was an eye opener. Listening back through Barefoot MM27's > Crane Song Avocet D/A and in a very well treated room, the mix had that gritty edge associated with make up gain being added via s/w. We could hardly turn the song up before it started to collapse due to the lack of headroom - or perceived lack of headroom, due to distortion created by makeup gain from plugs.Especially if something like an L2 was used to further increase the gain via the threshold.We could hardly turn it up without it becoming uncomfortable..

Now, it's important to add that what we encountered listening to Luc's mix isn't just this eg. We're astounded by the number of successful "commercial" mixes that have the same type of flattened, over compressed sound.

Again, I don't want this to come across as negative towards Luc, as he's obviously doing some great work and it's reflected by the projects he's getting. I'm just passing on my (and the studio owners) observations based on our listening position. This particular monitoring chain is the most acute, unforgiving monitoring I've ever used and the one thing it seems to really expose is the artifacts and distortion generated from software.

Just my 2¢
Old 23rd June 2010
  #57
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I'm curious what most people are listening to this song on as I think this will really make a difference. I first heard it on my laptop via headphones, and like most of Luc's work, thought it was quite good. But I called it up again while working in a studio down south I work out of quite often and it was an eye opener. Listening back through Barefoot MM27's > Crane Song Avocet D/A and in a very well treated room, the mix had that gritty edge associated with make up gain being added via s/w. We could hardly turn the song up before it started to collapse due to the lack of headroom - or perceived lack of headroom, due to distortion created by makeup gain from plugs.Especially if something like an L2 was used to further increase the gain via the threshold.We could hardly turn it up without it becoming uncomfortable..

Now, it's important to add that what we encountered listening to Luc's mix isn't just this eg. We're astounded by the number of successful "commercial" mixes that have the same type of flattened, over compressed sound.

Again, I don't want this to come across as negative towards Luc, as he's obviously doing some great work and it's reflected by the projects he's getting. I'm just passing on my (and the studio owners) observations based on our listening position. This particular monitoring chain is the most acute, unforgiving monitoring I've ever used and the one thing it seems to really expose is the artifacts and distortion generated from software.

Just my 2¢
The artefact and distortion you hear in this project was mainly caused by me overdriving my API at the input and the converters on the way in. My setup was not calibrated well and it was my first project done those new converters. I take the blame for that.

That being said, any rock music having a RMS of -8 to -9 will have some artefacts / distortion whether the gain was achieved by software or hardware. Transients are not meant to be crushed or treated like that to have a higher RMS. I know that, everyone knows that. The problem is that every commercial release in the rock music are treated this way. I wish I could print a mix at -12 RMS and leave plenty of headroom but then you would compare my really good but quiet mix to a super squashed mix and would feel like the louder one sounds better. In any of my recent projects, I tried to find a good balance between loudness / clean mix. I try not to participate in the loudness war, but I still need to be competitive with the big boys out there.
Old 24th June 2010
  #58
Gear Nut
 
xjake88x's Avatar
 

Holy crap these mixes are sooo good! The best I've heard in a LONG time!

You must have an amazing gear collection & rooms. And good ears of course.
Old 27th June 2010
  #59
Gear Nut
 

Awesome mixes dude! An inspiration to see (hear) that sounds like this
can come from a studio that doesn't have unreachable gear!

I have a question for you...

What do you think is a better investment for me.

1. A firewire mixer allowing me to mix stems OTB to grab some of that warmth! (e.g the Mackie 1640i)
or..
2. A firewire interface such as Apogee's ensemble.

Any help would be appreciated!

Keep up the good work!
Old 28th June 2010
  #60
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjake88x View Post
Holy crap these mixes are sooo good! The best I've heard in a LONG time!

You must have an amazing gear collection & rooms. And good ears of course.
Thank you very much! All the gear and details about my studio is listed on my website in the Studio section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrodie View Post
Awesome mixes dude! An inspiration to see (hear) that sounds like this
can come from a studio that doesn't have unreachable gear!

I have a question for you...

What do you think is a better investment for me.

1. A firewire mixer allowing me to mix stems OTB to grab some of that warmth! (e.g the Mackie 1640i)
or..
2. A firewire interface such as Apogee's ensemble.

Any help would be appreciated!

Keep up the good work!
Thanks bro! I wish I could help you but it's almost impossible for me to give you advice on your next buy without knowing what you currently have and what is your workflow. Feel free to PM me.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Surbitone / So much gear, so little time
4
RobJB06 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
tamasdragon / High end
25
houseplant / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump