The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on "experimental folk punk" song
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear
Opinions on "experimental folk punk" song

http://iwilllookunderthisrock.com/yo...ways%20say.mp3

If anyone has any open minded opinions, feedback or advice on the song/mix I would love to hear it. This song is called "You Always Say What You Want To Say", and it is the title track off the EP I am currently finishing up working on.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear
Anyone? I'm working in a mostly untreated room and still pretty new to trying to mix my own stuff, so I would really appreciate any major problem areas being pointed out. I'm not expecting a commercial professional sound but am trying to do the best I can with what I have for the time being.

-Danny
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

where's the low end?

cool tune!
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear
Thanks. I used a HPF set to 40hz on the whole EP, as well as HPF's on many of the individual tracks set to varying frequencies. I may have over done it but I know that I just can't hear the low end well enough to make any critical decisions so I would rather it just not be there than muddy up everything else that is there. I know that is a less than ideal approach, but it is what it is. Of the instruments what seems to be missing the low end the most? I'm guessing the bass?

-Danny
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear
I've posted a new version, does this one sound any better?

http://iwilllookunderthisrock.com/01.mp3

-Danny
Old 15th April 2010
That's an interesting one. I didn't even know that there was such a sub-sub-genre :-) It is light on the low end (I'm listening to the new one), but I don't think it's a problem necessarily. Without much of drum kit being in the picture, I'm not sure it needs more than what it has, unless you want that bass part to be more prominent perhaps. On my wee speakers it provides a nice little grind underneath but it's very subtle.
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

The second one's much better, but if you've still got a HPF on the whole track, take it off completely. And take it off the bass completely. You could also try making the HPFs 6dB per octave if they're higher order than that, and lower their crossover points. That will help any phase issues in the more audible range. Bring the bass up a bit. Bring up the fiddle a bit in the beginning and on the breaks and down a bit during the vocal lines. And bring up that cool little vocal echo line "say". And bring up the shouted back up vocals towards the end. In other words, make sure all the subtle cool bits are featured sufficiently. I like the end, which could come up a bit too. Just my opinions. You're the boss in your creative universe. Fun stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search