The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why does this sound better with multiband limiting...?
Old 2nd March 2010
Why does this sound better with multiband limiting...?

Here are two ITB masters (I am a noob/I have no money). My master bus is all waves: Linear Eq > Linear Multiband > L2. Compression in the LinMB is very light, and it essentially is just being used as a multiband limiter with the L2 catching the highest peaks (I think). The masters are identical in every way except that the multiband is bypassed in the second file maradona_nomb.mp3.

I think the master with the LinMB enabled sounds waaay better. The drums, especially, have much more top end punch. I know there is no right way to do anything, but I always thought a good eq, single band comp, and single band limiter was how most of the pros do it. Am I wrong about this? Should I invest in a real multiband limiter? Any comments on the mix/master are most appreciated.

- Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Why does this sound better with multiband limiting...?-mara_linmb.png  
Attached Files

maradona_mb.mp3 (3.93 MB, 3387 views)

maradona_nomb.mp3 (3.93 MB, 9014 views)

Old 2nd March 2010
Gear Nut

If it helps you out any the I liked it without the multi-band. The mids don't sound so forced and in your face and are much more musical. Remember don't over compress as it robs the music of its dynamics and its musicality to it. Less compression is always better
Old 2nd March 2010
i was thinking, if anything, the multiband would have lessened the overall compression. Like I said, i am basically just using the limiters in the LinMB. While I am doing some substantial limiting (its rock, it kinda has to be squashed) there is virtually no compression on the mix at all. Given the nature of the genre, I'm just wondering if I should add a real multiband limiter to my list like the L3 or if there are still some secrets to mastering with a one band comp and limiter that I have yet to learn. This is probably the closest I've come to a radio worthy pop-rock master and I want to know if I'm on the right track.
Old 3rd March 2010
This song sounds great, both mixes. I prefer the Multiband one a little more.
What did you use on drums and guitars?
Sounds awesome.
Old 4th March 2010
thanks man. drums are steven slate samples + sm81s on OH. guitars were good musician > orange rocker something head > orange 4X12 > sm81 (weird?) > firepod. slight cut around 300 on gtr.
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

I like the one w/out the multiband a little better, but I hear why you think the first one is better. I think you just need to toy w/it a little longer and get it to really pop a little better. Sounds really good though!
Old 5th March 2010
the answer seems to be GClip. i think the multiband was actually soft clipping the peaks of the drums so they didn't get so squashed by the L2. heres a new mix with a dedicated soft clipper instead of the multiband and some drum bus compression.
Attached Files

maradona_gclip.mp3 (3.93 MB, 1002 views)

Old 12th March 2010
Gear Nut

just listened really fast through laptop speakers. the part with 2 lead vocals gets a little conflicted or confusing sounding. maybe work with panning or simply make one vocal track just a bit more dominant than the other?

if this is already panned and i cant hear that because my laptop speakers are only 6" apart from each other just ignore me.
Old 12th March 2010
Gear Head

Really good work ... I think You should put more treble on vocal or try to warm up little bit ... Just my 2 cents ... Killer guitar sound ... Keep that way ...
Old 13th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyblue View Post
If it helps you out any the I liked it without the multi-band. The mids don't sound so forced and in your face and are much more musical. Remember don't over compress as it robs the music of its dynamics and its musicality to it. Less compression is always better
If that were true, why even have compressors at all? Less is sometimes not enough, and more is sometimes too much. It's about finding the balance, not just saying less or more as a general rule. And besides, certain styles of music actually sound better with more compression. (Oh, the HORRA!)
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Waves LinMB clips its output - the signal never goes above 0dB like in many other plugins. That is why LinMB version sound punchier, because you clip the signal.
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Addict

Dude, this track is freaking awesome.. Love the vocalist...
Old 22nd May 2013
I've done every mix in the last two years with a multiband on the master bus. I tried to break out of it (which I did for two EPs, and I was happy) but ultimately I'm back to it cause I love how it makes my mixes sound. Almost everything I've posted on GS has a multiband on it. Sometimes it's not about whether or not you want to use one, its about whether or not it makes the mix better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search