The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One man music production.....Let's hear the MUSIC!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Thanks! The Monologue is getting slapped around the chops by this bad boy:
I see. I actually researched those a while back.
Old 1st February 2019
Hi!

This is a track called "Tid"

Also available at
Tid | Fredrik Berg

Tid by Fredrik Berg on Spotify

Best Regards
Fredrik
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Nut

Weatherfields

Here's a link to my one man band, Weatherfields.

I started it about six months ago. Since then I've become very lost and negative about music ... so any constructive criticism or words of encouragement are welcome. Thanks in advance!

YouTube
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalcloset View Post
Here's a link to my one man band, Weatherfields.

I started it about six months ago. Since then I've become very lost and negative about music ... so any constructive criticism or words of encouragement are welcome. Thanks in advance!

YouTube
Well, I liked it. Not that my non-professional opinion matters. Those aliens had a sweet console! It sounded like a lot of stuff I like. Dug the vocals, acoustic, and the mellotron. I definitely gravitate toward dry drums, too.

As for changes... Well, if you like it and are happy, don't change a thing. If it were my project, I'd try to get a fatter, thicker, dry snare sound. Both the snare and the lead vocal need to step forward just a little bit, in my opinion. They sound...distant. I'd try to compress the snare more. I'd eq the vocal double or lower it's level a smidge and/or eq the reverb to let the main vocal be a touch clearer and more intimate. Finally, I'd beef up the kick a bit with some low-end by way of eq, parallel distortion, or a side-chained sine wave.

Great job, though! Sounds better than anything I've ever done.

BTW, how'd you record the acoustic, the vocals, and the drums?
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikberg View Post
Hi!

This is a track called "Tid"

Also available at
Tid | Fredrik Berg

Tid by Fredrik Berg on Spotify

Best Regards
Fredrik
I really liked the vocal sound. Intimate. Which mic is that? Bits of the guitar reminded me of Gilmour, too.

*edit Nevermind. I found it: List your gear and show us your music!

Last edited by wagz; 6th February 2019 at 07:55 AM..
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi!

Also available at
Tid | Fredrik Berg

Fredrik
I was listening to "Kvar". Man, I wish I knew your language. Please tell me how you got that vocal sound. That's pretty much exactly the kind of sound I want for my own vocals. Very nice recording. I like dry, intimate, and not too bright. Maybe the vocal is so clear because all of the other instruments have less presence? Did you just mic the guitar and piano off-axis or farther away? Or did you use eq to darken them up? Great job!
Old 6th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
I was listening to "Kvar". Man, I wish I knew your language. Please tell me how you got that vocal sound. That's pretty much exactly the kind of sound I want for my own vocals. Very nice recording. I like dry, intimate, and not too bright. Maybe the vocal is so clear because all of the other instruments have less presence? Did you just mic the guitar and piano off-axis or farther away? Or did you use eq to darken them up? Great job!
H!

Thanks for listening!

On my vocal I used a TLM103. Little to no reverb at all as I can recall.
The guitar was miked with a SE RN17, small condenser. Probably on-axis about 12:th fret.
The piano is actually a very Old Roland RD300sx keyboard with some saturation.
I have a real piano i n my studio that I also use when appropriate.

There is also a lap steel and som synth pad. All mellow sounds.

Best Regards
Fredrik Berg
Old 6th February 2019
Quote:
I really liked the vocal sound. Intimate. Which mic is that? Bits of the guitar reminded me of Gilmour, too.

*edit Nevermind. I found it: List your gear and show us your music!
Thank you!

Vocal - TLM103, but this time tracked through an API 512c preamp and unit called
Mr Focus stage II by Louder Than Liftoff.

Guitar is my Fender Stratocaster through a Fender Superreverb.

Best Regards
Fredrik Berg
Old 6th February 2019
All along the Watchtower

Here's my one man rough take on a classic....created way back; lost the multi tracks but recently found the mp3 and tried to polish that turd, with some new outboard trying to calm an annoying tambo and harmonica...had to roll off a lot of top end; but can now only use this as a template if I can be bothered to recreate it....some of the elements/ideas i like...

All Along The Watch Tower by Bird Tribe | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
H!

Thanks for listening!

On my vocal I used a TLM103. Little to no reverb at all as I can recall.
The guitar was miked with a SE RN17, small condenser. Probably on-axis about 12:th fret.
The piano is actually a very Old Roland RD300sx keyboard with some saturation.
I have a real piano i n my studio that I also use when appropriate.

There is also a lap steel and som synth pad. All mellow sounds.

Best Regards
Fredrik Berg

Quote:
Thank you!

Vocal - TLM103, but this time tracked through an API 512c preamp and unit called
Mr Focus stage II by Louder Than Liftoff.

Guitar is my Fender Stratocaster through a Fender Superreverb.

Best Regards
Fredrik Berg
Great job on both songs! Thank you for answering my questions, too.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Theme One by George Martin. All instruments are Streetly M4000 Mellotron except for drums (EZDrummer), guitar and bass:

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (Ventures version):

Old 7th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, I liked it. Not that my non-professional opinion matters. Those aliens had a sweet console! It sounded like a lot of stuff I like. Dug the vocals, acoustic, and the mellotron. I definitely gravitate toward dry drums, too.

As for changes... Well, if you like it and are happy, don't change a thing. If it were my project, I'd try to get a fatter, thicker, dry snare sound. Both the snare and the lead vocal need to step forward just a little bit, in my opinion. They sound...distant. I'd try to compress the snare more. I'd eq the vocal double or lower it's level a smidge and/or eq the reverb to let the main vocal be a touch clearer and more intimate. Finally, I'd beef up the kick a bit with some low-end by way of eq, parallel distortion, or a side-chained sine wave.

Great job, though! Sounds better than anything I've ever done.

BTW, how'd you record the acoustic, the vocals, and the drums?
Thanks for the notes! I appreciate your time and I'll take your suggestions into practice the next time I have the energy to make a song like this. Honestly the amount of work it takes to make music from scratch and alone is overwhelming a lot of the time. Did you checkout the other track?

Anyhow, the acoustic guitar is just a simple 12th fret aimed at the sound hole type thing. Mic = Rode K2, Pre = Chandler TG2
Vocals = ADK A6. Cheapo, but it was given to me by a friend who tours with burt bacharach who said some big name producer gave it to her after a burt session because he said it sounded so good he bought a ton of them... idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . That went into the Chandler and a Warm WA76
Interface = Apogee Symphony i/o Mkii
Oh, and believe it or not, the drums were completely replaced with Superior 3 (and mix processing). I use my ludwig to play live and then replace the hits in Superiors new tool. That way at least it's an actual performance.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalcloset View Post
Thanks for the notes! I appreciate your time and I'll take your suggestions into practice the next time I have the energy to make a song like this. Honestly the amount of work it takes to make music from scratch and alone is overwhelming a lot of the time. Did you checkout the other track?

Anyhow, the acoustic guitar is just a simple 12th fret aimed at the sound hole type thing. Mic = Rode K2, Pre = Chandler TG2
Vocals = ADK A6. Cheapo, but it was given to me by a friend who tours with burt bacharach who said some big name producer gave it to her after a burt session because he said it sounded so good he bought a ton of them... idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . That went into the Chandler and a Warm WA76
Interface = Apogee Symphony i/o Mkii
Oh, and believe it or not, the drums were completely replaced with Superior 3 (and mix processing). I use my ludwig to play live and then replace the hits in Superiors new tool. That way at least it's an actual performance.
Well, whatever you used, it sounds really good. I like the song. I've got SD3, too. Gotta try that replacement thing. Kinda reminds me of 'Sea Change'.

I just listened to the other track. Man, those fuzzy guitars remind me so much of the Pumpkins!

Did you use that ICBM fuzz in the actual recording? If so, I need to remember that one. It sounds great. Thanks for the guitar close-ups (free lessons). Cool video. Diggin' the twin guitar at the end! The world needs more twin guitar. And, you did a really good job on the vocal performance, especially the chorus! If that's the SM7B on vocals, it sounds good. Are those drums also from Superior Drummer 3?
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, whatever you used, it sounds really good. I like the song. I've got SD3, too. Gotta try that replacement thing. Kinda reminds me of 'Sea Change'.

I just listened to the other track. Man, those fuzzy guitars remind me so much of the Pumpkins!

Did you use that ICBM fuzz in the actual recording? If so, I need to remember that one. It sounds great. Thanks for the guitar close-ups (free lessons). Cool video. Diggin' the twin guitar at the end! The world needs more twin guitar. And, you did a really good job on the vocal performance, especially the chorus! If that's the SM7B on vocals, it sounds good. Are those drums also from Superior Drummer 3?
I LOVE being compared to early smashing pumpkins! Thank you ... it's such a compliment, even if it's not meant to be that grand haha. Also I appreciate the Sea Change comparison, great album as well!
And yes, that is the ICBM ... on everything. Also my stratocaster with the red / silver / blue pickups really bring out that sound as well. Although on this track I think I only used the red pickup in the bridge position.
For the vocals, that is the SM7B.
For the drums, I did the same thing from Candles ... which was to record them live and then replace with Superior 3's new tool. I honestly can't believe how good of a tool that is.
Thank you for checking out both songs and I'm really glad you liked them ... and you're welcome about the free guitar lessons!
Comments like yours give me fuel to make more music and to trust my process.
Old 9th February 2019
Trailermusic - Stormbringer

Hello beautiful people,

I'm just wondering if there's any fans of Hybrid Orchestral/Trailer music? I've just composed a piece and was looking to get some feedback!

Thank you for listening and wishing you all a great year ahead!

Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Hello all.

Here is a cover of a song made popular again by another cover. The tube spring sounding reverbs are actually tube spring reverb, the guitars and bass are real, and no pitch correction was used on anything.
Quote:
Killing Me Softly - YouTube

Written by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel. All vocals and instruments by David R., recorded at On The Moon Studio in San Francisco. This version and video ©20...
Old 21st February 2019
Gear Head

Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear
Here is my one-man band reinterpretation of the classic campfire song Baby Shark as a Indie / Adult Alternative gut-wrenching tragedy of family loss. It started out small but then became a rather big production with a slow build. Happy with the result, but unsure why I didn't just put this effort into my non-kid songs. Oh well. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts.

As with anything on youtube, if you enjoy please like it and add a quick comment (these affect ranking greatly). Cheers!

Old 15th March 2019
Epic Trailer Music - Stormbringer

"Stormbringer" is now on YouTube! If you like Trailer music, this one's for you . Do sub for a new epic/cinematic track every Friday!

Old 26th March 2019
Here's a new new agey synthesizer cue for ya...
Old 26th March 2019
Hi!

Here is a new track recorded in my homestudio.

Best Regards
Fredrik
Old 27th March 2019
Here for the gear
Oświęcim Past

Instrumental I wrote based on visit to Auschwitz in 2017. Done in Logic Pro 10. VSTs are NI (gtrs, choirs, piano, horns), Zero-G Ethera (voice), Logic (El. Pno, strings, sculpture for wind, military percussion loops)

Steve Marfisi
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Nut

A short track sequenced with MPC Live in standalone mode

Old 15th April 2019
Here for the gear
one of my original compositions

i realize this is an older thread but i figured i would throw my proverbial hat (songs) into the ring ... recorded, edited and mixed in the box (yamaha aw4416) ... all instuments and vox by me ... ray has vox on "alone" track

please let me know your thoughts

thanks

mark

reloaded the 2nd song so it can be played ... failed to load properly ... maybe start another post..
Attached Files

BELOW DECK.mp3 (4.67 MB, 301 views)

Last edited by hudrodguy; 17th April 2019 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: 2nd song not attached
Old 16th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudrodguy View Post
i realize this is an older thread but i figured i would throw my proverbial hat (songs) into the ring ... recorded, edited and mixed in the box (yamaha aw4416) ... all instuments and vox by me ... ray has vox on "alone" track

please let me know your thoughts

thanks

mark
Is that an Alesis SR-16 I’m hearing? I have one myself,

Anyways, nice first track. Can’t comment on the second since I’m on an iPad and if wont work for me.
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
Is that an Alesis SR-16 I’m hearing? I have one myself,

Anyways, nice first track. Can’t comment on the second since I’m on an iPad and if wont work for me.
why yes it is an alesis sr16 on that track (nice catch) ... i also use the alesis sr18, as well as, line 6 jm4 looper pedal which has very nice drum loops ... i find those machines perform well within my workflow to provide useable percussion tracks that don't sound too bad ... of course, nothing beats a real drummer

i also could not access the second song ... maybe a reload is in order ...

mark
Old 19th April 2019
Here for the gear

I've been working on this for quite some time but I don't know how it sounds to ears that aren't my own. I'm specifically worried about the bass. Would you all kindly tell me how it sounds and any suggestions? Thank you!
Attached Files

Winter.mp3 (7.77 MB, 244 views)

Old 20th April 2019
Here for the gear
"psycho rambler"

hello friends,

here is another song ... from the dark side perspective of a man obsessed... "psycho rambler" ... all recorded itb (aw4416) ...

enjoy, and let me know your thoughts

thanks

mark

ps.. more to come soon
Attached Files

03 psycho rambler.mp3 (4.17 MB, 219 views)

Old 20th April 2019
Gear Nut

hola chicos

little synth thing with a drums from me
Attached Files

neurodrive - ending credits.mp3 (4.56 MB, 201 views)

Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

First Future House Track.

Hi everyone, I'm Knshi, an average music producer based in Switzerland.
2 days ago I released something that I never did before.
It's my first future house song, in Hexagon style, and I want you to listen to this one and tell me if i should edit or delete something on it.

Here's the track
HOME ft. Ryan Field by Knshi | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search