The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please someone tell me why this mix sucks :(? Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 20th November 2009
Please someone tell me why this mix sucks :(?

Please can someone help me out with this mix. It is bugging the life out of me. For some reason I just feel like the mix overall has a lack of energy and I have no idea how to fix this? It's suppose to be an upbeat type of pop/dance track but the energy just simply isnt there.

Let me know what you guys think I can do.
Attached Files

Damn This Mix Sucks_New.mp3 (5.18 MB, 22951 views)

Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

well...other than that the whole thing sounds like it was squeezed out of a toothpaste tube (is there any actual audio in this piece?) I'd say the simplest fix would be to speed the tempo up.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

I agree with the "speed it up" advice. The song really goes nowhere so going faster may help "energize" the song. Add a bass line, change the kick sample for something with a bit more 4K to it, maybe add that standard dance offbeat hat thing in the chorus, add a conga loop somewhere, add an arp loop somewhere, lo-fi the drum loop in the middle break...

..otherwise this song does nothing for me.
Old 21st November 2009
it sucks because you suck

OOOO SNAAAAPPPP
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
it sucks because you suck

OOOO SNAAAAPPPP
soooo constructivedfegad
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
soooo constructivedfegad
oh i wasn't trying to be constructive

i didn't even listen to the track
Old 21st November 2009
Yeah the arrangement needs work. I agree with adding a congo loop or something and possibly changing the kick. Any mix advice? more compression on the synths, less? anything like that?
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

Listen to your "shaker" sound that comes in at about 00:17, it's way behind the beat and it's dragging the whole thing down. Either quantize it or fix the sample.
Old 21st November 2009
Thanks. Think I am going to replace with a hi-hat loop or something. Any mix suggestions or is it just arrangement problems?
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Guru

None of your instruments have any kind of attack to them. There's just no dynamics at all. Also, all of your lines are very repetitive and predictable.
Old 21st November 2009
Thanks for checking it out. Is it over compression? Or is it just sound choice. How do you think I can fix it?
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Shaw-t View Post
Thanks for checking it out. Is it over compression? Or is it just sound choice. How do you think I can fix it?
use slow comp attack on the drum buss and synths
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Choose a better kick sample. Add an offbeat hat in between the kicks and the claps. Bus the kick, clap, and hats, and compress the snot out of that bus. Then speed the whole thing up.
Old 22nd November 2009
agreed on the better kick sample

also, you are probably comparing this mix to commercial stuff which has been mastered to be pretty damn loud

limit your mix until it's just as loud as the commercial stuff you're comparing it to if you want to have a fair comparison
Old 22nd November 2009
Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. When I do throw a limiter on with a lot of gain it sucks the life out of the track even more so I do not think that is the problem. I think the synths are lacking some attack as mentioned earlier, not sure how I can achieve this. And I defnitely agree with everyone about a new kick sample and speeding it up a little bit. I will post round 2 soon . Thanks a lot guys
Old 22nd November 2009
if you can you send me the midi so i can remake it and let you know what i did
Old 22nd November 2009
Yeah I can do that. You have an email I can reach you at? I am going to upload a new version later on today let me know what you guys think
Old 22nd November 2009
alehoeatgmaildotcom
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Shaw-t View Post
Sound choice. Tweak the attack on your synth to something shorter.
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Nut

if my more electric mixes sound like this, a little bit empty and not really full, i usually speed up the tempo or add some background sounds like strings, muffled pianos or some hi hat rythms. The hi hat rythms dont have to be a constant ticking but just a rythmic thingy, it usually gives the song more speed, energy, vibe or whatever you can call it.
Combine that with a more powerfull bass kickin in after a while which doesnt just zoom but also does some rythmic stuff and i think the song will start to roll.

i'd try that and also what the rest of the guys say of course
Old 25th November 2009
Here for the gear

I'm with everyone on this one, speeeed it up!!

Also, if you throw down some basslines it's always worth popping a bit of side chain compression to get that classic dancy pumping sound. Doesn't always work for everything but worth a try.

Hi Hat Grooves and percussion will definitely add some life :D
Old 26th November 2009
Here for the gear

Why are your 2 and 4 beats all like lagging 30 ms? LMAO Considering this is clearly all digital it should be quantized lol.

I am sorry. I don't know why but this song is making me laugh very hard here. LMAO There are too many things off time and its just very "soft" sounding
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Addict

My 2 cents are

speed it up

dont put that 'ping' on the quarter note backbeat it sounds cheesy, if you wanna use that sound, use it less often, like once per four measures

i guess there's some stuff going on with sixteenth rhythm, but its too quiet and not doing much, I'm just getting this slow four on the floor on the pulse, some hihat can really breathe life into it

that main 'bassline', I would say take out. Mute everything except your drum track and put in some new bass. I think you'll get a lot more space to work with if you take that midrangey stuff out and do a remodel

I don't know if its the pads, the melodies, or just the whole major chord vibe but it sounds like it came from yoshi's island or something.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search