The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recorded the Heaviest band this summer
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Recorded the Heaviest band this summer

Sound Asleep.zip

For the best mp3 samples/ (track 3 is the best)

They are called Sound Asleep. Definitely not conventional metal. The album clocks at over 30 minutes and its 3 tracks. Sound Asleep on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Recording details.....

It was recorded in there basement. The whole thing was multi-tracked but i recorded the guitarists in front of their amps which i think gave the overall mixes a more live and raw feel, lots of natural feedback and noise. Bass was recorded with a sunn 2000s and a ampeg solid state head both going into an 8x10 each. Guitars were each recorded with 2 amps and one mic on each amp then double tracked. The one guitarist used a soldano and the sunn bass head, and the other guitarist used the sunn with a traynor yba 1. Mic's were probably 57's and 421's.

umm everything went through the daking pres. converters were lucid, mixed in pro tools le. some samples on the kick and snare for cutting through the guitars. vox got a sm7 with a distressor going in. The band wanted it crushed so there is actually digital clipping, which is the only thing that bugs me about this recording, other than that I'm really proud of this one, didn't follow a lot of "rules" which is what i'm going to start doing more of.
Old 19th November 2009
woah waaaay too much bass
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Ya, Its suppose to be over the top, live these guys have so much low you feel it in your chest, we wanted that on the recording. This was one of those "wrong things" that made me just like the mixes even more.
Old 20th November 2009
the overbearing bass makes just makes the mixes sound like they weren't properly mixed

my beyers were almost rumbling

i wonder how the mixes would translate to ipod headphones, my guess is that they'd probably break em
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Oh, and here's a link to Free Reign's music:

Free Reign on MySpace

Dallas Cowboys or not, I think they're pretty damn good. but weighing in at over 1/2 a ton, they've got to be the "heaviest metal band" around.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

waste of time i guess. thanks.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjosh View Post
waste of time i guess. thanks.
Was it? You got some pretty accurate evaluations of your mix. Maybe it's not what you wanted to hear, but then, why post your stuff in the first place? I guess if you considered the criticisms a "waste of time" for you, then they probably were.

I only posted in response to your "Recorded the Heaviest band this summer" title, since Free Reign is using something similar, They're advertising themselves as the "heaviest metal band".
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear