The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lost my perspective/confidence with a rock mix/master
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Lost my perspective/confidence with a rock mix/master

Hi all

Long-time lurker but first-time poster here. I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to take a listen to the attached rock song for me - I've completely lost perspective and confidence with the mix (attached is a mastered version) through spending too long tweaking in response to playing on different systems / iPod / car.

This has been produced in my band's home studio and I don't have the greatest room/monitors so some other opinions would really be gratefully received. At times I've felt it too bassy, not bassy enough, too thin, too thick etc etc. It's driving me mad! I guess I'm hoping someone will be able to put my mind at rest, and most of you will probably have much better monitoring environments.

Thanks
Paul
Attached Files

Green Scenery remixed.mp3 (5.82 MB, 2333 views)

Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Just to add some more info to this - I am aiming for something like Faith No More / Morrissey / Manic Street Preachers as influences, and the distorted guitars and overall spectral balance are the main sources of concern.
Cheers
Paul
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

on the whole...pretty good...cleaner than my stuff comes out, but I work 100% otb...if you're going for a FNM vibe I'd say the vocal is a touch dry...and I think maybe the guitars are a little too smooth ...also something odd was going on in the upper mids and lo highs about a minute in...kinda phasey panning with the cymbals and bgv...the drums and basses were pretty spot on though.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
on the whole...pretty good...cleaner than my stuff comes out, but I work 100% otb...if you're going for a FNM vibe I'd say the vocal is a touch dry...and I think maybe the guitars are a little too smooth ...also something odd was going on in the upper mids and lo highs about a minute in...kinda phasey panning with the cymbals and bgv...the drums and basses were pretty spot on though.
the whole thing to me could be a lil brighter in the mid area all in all great mix, could be my headphones i am using drums sound great panning is cool opposite from mine i pan from drummers perspective, guitars are nicely placed and the vox sit well greay job
Old 1st December 2009
Here for the gear

That's really cool - thanks very much for the feedback guys. Much appreciated – I was starting to lose the plot with it!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear