The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Heavy Metal/Judas Priest Styled Song
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Heavy Metal/Judas Priest Styled Song

Hi guys, curious what your thoughts are on this sound/mix before I present it to the band...Cheers
Attached Files

knife.mp3 (3.62 MB, 99 views)

Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Cool! That's a classic old school metal sound!

The only thing I'd do is put a bit more high mids in the drums, probably in the overheads and/or room tracks.
In comparison to the high mid content of the vocal, the drums just sound a little "shrouded" to me.

Love the guitars BTW. What was the chain there?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

The timing of the guitars is WAY too loose, to the point of being distracting, and dare I say it, sloppy . . .

I really like the breakdown though!

Aside from that, it sounds pretty much spot on for a very faithful recreation for the genre.

If you wanted it to sound like a more modern taken on JP, then I agree with the poster above that the drums could do with being louder and brighter. It'd probably be much more competitive in that case.

Pretty good work, man
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Hey guys, thanks for the comments...

I completely agree about the guitar playing... its pretty sloppy!!! But thats how the guy played them... not much I can do, it has character in its own way I suppose. Hes actually a drummer so I can't blame him. I had to autotune the leads because the bends were out of tune...

As for the guitar sound...nothing fancy...

Gibson Explorer > MXR Distortion+ (an original one not a remake) > Fender Deville 410 > SM57 > ART MPA II

I agree about the mids in the drums, I was kind of going for that old 70s flat sound but I will give it a go. Thanks for checking it out and the feedback blokes.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Bring up the drums :D and remove some of the annoying mids who fights with the vocals though, and it will be a very nice result!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazzman View Post
Hi guys, curious what your thoughts are on this sound/mix before I present it to the band...Cheers
wow old school early 80's witchfinder general sound ....now the drums seem hazy, like they are covered in a blanket the guitars also,!!!!! my guess is the monitors and room you are using need to be addressed they are probably to bright which means you are compensating by cutting the mids and hi mids and some of the [email protected] 10-12k try some toilet paper over the tweeters to help cut the appearence of the highs and it will help you get a handle on the mids not a cure but a band-aid of sorts all in all thats what i hear just a lack of clarity and definition

good luck
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

thanks for the feedback dudes...

i have taken into account your comments about the lack of mids. I guess i am overly paranoid about having too many high mids in the mix and I may have chopped them a bit heavy handily.

my room is treated, bass traps in each corner and treatment in and around the mixing position but I think I am getting some reflections from the back wall that might be making chop more mids than I need to.

In this mix the drums have more mids and are louder, the vocals have a high-mid cut, and i bought the guitars down a tad.

see what you think
Attached Files

knife2.mp3 (3.50 MB, 59 views)

Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear
Better!

The guitar is still sloppy joe timing - especially in the beginning.
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
Better!

The guitar is still sloppy joe timing - especially in the beginning.
yeah the timing sucks! fortunately my only job was to record all this. The timing situation I will leave up to the artist. As long as my mix is good i'm happy.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear