The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Techno Track
Old 12th November 2009
New Techno Track

Hey guys,

Little about myself: Been producing electronic music for about 5 years now, things got more serious after a digital release on German Monoïd Recordings. Not sure what to think of the dance/techno label scene, but techno/house music is my passion!

Just finished a new track I did in Cubase, still on a steep learning curve after purchasing this DAW and a few quality plugs. Never had any professional education, I educate myself via the internet. It's mp3 192kb/s so don't bitch about the soundquality, this is just to get an idea if You want more I'll hook You up with higher quality..

Jovas - Retronix(192kb s) - SoundCloud

Would love to get some feedback on it while I'm working my ass off producing more stuff and trying to get it released..

Peace!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ok, I'm going to say something really insulting - but please understand it's my opinion and it's only meant with the best intention.

I think the track is boring. It lost me after about fifteen seconds. I did a fast forward to the break, and played for another five seconds, and was still bored.

I can't really detail the mix, because I couldn't get into the song.

Sorry.... maybe it's a genre thing that I don't get....
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Sounds like something I'd do...(not a compliment).

You need more sonic diversity to keep interest.
Learn how to automate the main beat level down while the elements come in and out. That boom, boom, boom, boom...etc., gets nauseating.

You need to spend more time zeroing in on the little things that spice up a techno (or any) track. It's tedious and time consuming but when you do it the listener can tell...time/effort was spent on this one.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Here we go. I love deep techno and feel your references. I've also seen the word "retro" in the title

I don't like hearing the first hit hat loop alone, it's too heavy, too much of a laidback feeling. It need the second one at the same time.

At 1.39, when this percussive sound (wich was just fine) morph into a trance-like lead, it's a little too cheezy at my taste, and not too well mixed.

The medium percussion at "double croche" ("sixteenth" in english?) is a little boring. I heard some breaks, but not enough. I mostly feel it's also mixed too dry and too upfront. Or maybe just see if you can add some mute.

I've no bass on the cheap multimedia system I've to use right now, so I can't judge this department.

All the rest seem perfect and nicely concluded.

Overall, I think it's a good track because it have the right vibe (it brought back some nice memories!) and that you have a real talent for this genre, but beware, even if I never tried myself, I understand it's very hard and ask to be ultra-tasteful. It can fall appart very quickly. Even the masters have failed more than once.
Old 13th November 2009
Thanks for the reply's guys, they made me feel depressed haha, no just kidding.

Started out on a new track, a fresh new beginning..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear