The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What am I doing wrong??
Old 12th November 2009
What am I doing wrong??

I have decent microphones. (on this I used 3 KSM 32's as OH's and HiHat, d112, 421 and 2 57s). Im pretty certain that my EQ isn't out of the ordinary, My overheads are compressed.

Metal Drum Mix.mp3

I can't tell why all of my drum mixes sound so ridiculously piercing to my ears. They fatigue me to listen to sometimes, do you guys agree with me?

The only thing I can think is that I was in a relatively untreated room , just some movers blankets on the walls in my living room. But that can't be ALL of the reason why theres so much "shrill ness" to it.

I've cut out most of the really harsh frequencies and I even used both the HPF AND LPF. I used the LPF down to about 8k to try to kill that harshness but it still didn't work.

I think the mix is decent, I mean if I turned down the OH anymore it wouldn't sound natural.

If someone could tell me where Im going wrong, I'd appreciate it.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

It doesn't sound shrill to my ears at all, are you sure it's not your monitors?

Also, I think this could benefit from some compression on the kick and snare to get it more "in your face." Try that out and see what you think!

Sounds really good, great playing.
Old 12th November 2009
to get the sound you're probably trying to get you are going to need drum replacement
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

It actually sounds a bit muffled to me, like some one threw a blanket over my speakers.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Sounds way to cymbal heavy to me. Needs some balls. Snare is a bit distant. I would probably add a sub mix eq'd thick and squish it a bit. Then add it to taste.
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
to get the sound you're probably trying to get you are going to need drum replacement
The kick and snare are replaced, just buried. Maybe I should stick them out a bit more.
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by unklejman View Post
It actually sounds a bit muffled to me, like some one threw a blanket over my speakers.
What sort of monitors are you listening to it on?

These drums weren't mastered by the way.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear