The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pop Punk (Blink 182, Sum 41, Face To Face)
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Pop Punk (Blink 182, Sum 41, Face To Face)

Hey,

Here's another project I've recently produced, recorded, mixed and mastered: PLAYER HERE

We used my DW kit with a Ludwig LM402 snare with a Evans Genera Dry top skin. The bass was a Fender Aerodyne. Gibson Lespaul Studio and Fender Telecaster guitars. Peavy 6505 and a custom amp made by the guitar player (a real geek! ). Vocal mic was a Neuman TLM 103. Everything was recoded through my Midas Venice 240. Guitars were mic'd with a SM57. I use my SPL TrackOne preamp/limiter for the vocals. I also use my external API 2500 on the master buss.

Any comments on the mix are welcome!

Thanks
LT
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

Dude...

This sounds really good. I really like this alot.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommypeskorz65 View Post
Dude...

This sounds really good. I really like this alot.
Thanks man!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Great job! you really made them sound sweet. not surpised about the mix though all your work speaks for itself. grade a!
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

HOW do you get that guitar tone? That is THE guitar tone I've been looking for.

Everything blends so well together, this is exactly what I want my mixes to sound like!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah279 View Post
HOW do you get that guitar tone? That is THE guitar tone I've been looking for.

Everything blends so well together, this is exactly what I want my mixes to sound like!
Like detailed above I used:

2 takes (left-right) with the Gibson Lespaul - Peavy 6505 - Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab - Shure SM57 - Midas Preamp.
2 takes (left-right) with the Fender Telecaster - Custom Amp (similar to a VOX AC30) - Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab - Shure SM57 - Midas Preamp.

The gain was really low, lots of mids, not much treble, master volume kinda loud. There was some EQ on the way using the Midas Venice 240 Console's EQ.

Don't forget, the bass tone is a very important factor of the guitar tone!

Hope that helps my friend.
LT
Old 11th November 2009
Nice work LT. Nothing much to criticize. The guitars sound great. The song works as a whole.
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

Sounds great man! Nice Job! Punchy!!!
Old 13th November 2009
Sounds amazing, the exact kinda work I'm trying to do! A great inspiration to me.
What mics and placements are you using on drums?
Did you make your on triggers or is it one of the big programs (BFD, SSD...)?

Keep up the sweet work man!
Old 13th November 2009
hm for the kind of music i think a little more ring on the snare would be pretty cool
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

sounds awesome! love the bass tone. How did you achieve that sound?? Love the attack and clarity!

keep up the good work!
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Sounds amazing, the exact kinda work I'm trying to do! A great inspiration to me.
What mics and placements are you using on drums?
Did you make your on triggers or is it one of the big programs (BFD, SSD...)?

Keep up the sweet work man!
Thanks man! Standard setup using NT2000 for room mics, NT1000 for OH, 414 for HH, Beta 52A for Kick, Audix i5 Top Snare, Sm57 Bottom Snare, 421 for toms. The kick and snare samples were created from the drum kit. No samples for the toms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
hm for the kind of music i think a little more ring on the snare would be pretty cool
I agree. I've put a moongel on the snare to damp it because my Ludwig LM402 rings a lot (depending of the head you use) and at the mixing stage I regretted this choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusWendel View Post
sounds awesome! love the bass tone. How did you achieve that sound?? Love the attack and clarity!

keep up the good work!
Thanks! We use a Fender Aerodyne which a big part of the sound and I use a SansAmp RBI + DBX160.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Sounds awesome man!
How's the room your recording in? Would be a pleasure to know.

Cheers!
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Head

Sounds great man. Reminds me of some of my old favorites on drive thru records.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster View Post
Sounds awesome man!
How's the room your recording in? Would be a pleasure to know.

Cheers!
What do you want to know exactly? The measures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesaman88 View Post
Sounds great man. Reminds me of some of my old favorites on drive thru records.
Thanks! I like your band btw! Reminds me of NFG / Set Your Goals.
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

great job luctellier love your work. i'm recording a similar band in a few weeks this is the exact sound i will be going for, will definatly take your aproach into consideration..... bass is amazing, real fat and stringy, also thumbs up to the mastering as well
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

i was also watching some videos on your myspace, there's one with a kick drum surounded in a long tunnel of blankets.......

Recording @ Studio Piccolo Video by Luc Tellier (Producer/Mixer/Song Writer) - MySpace Video

i've never seen this technique before (i'm pretty new to the recording world so i dont doubt it may be pretty common)
just wondering what mic is being used and what is the actual technique and overall goal, im guessing it may be due to the low frequency responce of the kick, trying to maximise the sound, but yeah just really curious...
Old 18th November 2009
The production is really good. I like the song as well. Nice!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales View Post
i was also watching some videos on your myspace, there's one with a kick drum surounded in a long tunnel of blankets.......

Recording @ Studio Piccolo Video by Luc Tellier (Producer/Mixer/Song Writer) - MySpace Video

i've never seen this technique before (i'm pretty new to the recording world so i dont doubt it may be pretty common)
just wondering what mic is being used and what is the actual technique and overall goal, im guessing it may be due to the low frequency responce of the kick, trying to maximise the sound, but yeah just really curious...
Thanks man! This video was done a long time a go when I was recording with my band. This technique is called a 'kick drum tunnel': It's used to capture a more ambient kick drum sound. It basically involves building a cavern or tunnel that extends from the front of a kick drum several feet out into the room. By placing a mic at the end of this tunnel, in addition to (or instead of) a normal mic inside the kick drum, you can capture a more roomy sounding kick, but without picking up the other drums and sounds in the room too much. Normally when the technique is employed the front head is removed from the drum, but this isn't necessary. A kick drum tunnel is simple to build. You take a couple of boom mic stands, extend their booms about two or three feet parallel to the ground and a few feet in front of the kick drum (this is your framework). Place your mic about a foot off the floor at the end of this structure and then cover the mic stands with blankets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Michael P - View Post
The production is really good. I like the song as well. Nice!
Thanks!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

Sounds good Luc!

One of your best productions... I really liked the vocal and the guitar sound.

I also have the API 2500 and it's probably one of my best buys this year, it's superb on the drum buss.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

just wondering. is there any particular reason why you use 1 shure mic on the guitar cabs? some studios use two mikes.. is this to A and B the best take? or is 2 mikes not necessary?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Sounds good Luc!

One of your best productions... I really liked the vocal and the guitar sound.

I also have the API 2500 and it's probably one of my best buys this year, it's superb on the drum buss.
Thanks man! Yeah, I wish I'd have external SSL comp for the master buss so I can use my API on the drum buss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avpmusik View Post
just wondering. is there any particular reason why you use 1 shure mic on the guitar cabs? some studios use two mikes.. is this to A and B the best take? or is 2 mikes not necessary?
Because it sounds great! Why would you use 2 mics when you can achieve the sound you want using 1 well dialed mic. I try to capture the sound I want using only one mic. If can't, then sometimes I might add a second mic but this is really really rare.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
What do you want to know exactly? The measures?
Yea, and if you have a picture it would be killer!
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks! I like your band btw! Reminds me of NFG / Set Your Goals.
Thanks bro, stoked you dig our sound! We're trying to bring back the sound we love to our area.
Old 24th November 2009
Well, what can I say Luc!! You have both talent as a musician / producer and man of your humility = Success!

We can talk about details of the mixes here and there to infinity. But what you've captured with your mixes / productions, is the nerve and present.

With great respect Mr. LT *AWESOME*

Kind Regards
H.Hansson
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrec.com View Post
Well, what can I say Luc!! You have both talent as a musician / producer and man of your humility = Success!

We can talk about details of the mixes here and there to infinity. But what you've captured with your mixes / productions, is the nerve and present.

With great respect Mr. LT *AWESOME*

Kind Regards
H.Hansson
Thank you very much bro! I have about 5-6 other projects that I want to post but they are not finished yet. I'm currently mixing a live performance from Akon as well as finishing mixing 3 other artists that needed their mixes a.s.a.p. so I had to post-pone some of the work I was working on. Plus one of the singer I was recording got sick for 3 weeks and a member from another band hung himself this week...the last months have been crazy.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Head

Another masterpiece Luc!

We seldom hear you track clean gts but when you did it just kills!!
if someone swears Peavey 6505+ kicks Mesa Rec's butt and that would be U haha
btw u have your Marshall 1960a sold ?? Or you just prefer Mesa cab more n more?

snare sounds a lil different from my impression of blink, I think travis barker uses orange county snares tuning high right? But i recognize your spirit in it still

My gf loves your band, got hooked in like 30secs LOL, maybe you can consider touring outside Quebec? Coz Hollywood(in this case: Vancouver) is calling you tonightheh

Gr8 job again man!
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Head

You rock man
Sounds like a commercial record in good way. Drum and guitar sound is awesome.

Joni
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmieee View Post
Another masterpiece Luc!

We seldom hear you track clean gts but when you did it just kills!!
if someone swears Peavey 6505+ kicks Mesa Rec's butt and that would be U haha
btw u have your Marshall 1960a sold ?? Or you just prefer Mesa cab more n more?

snare sounds a lil different from my impression of blink, I think travis barker uses orange county snares tuning high right? But i recognize your spirit in it still

My gf loves your band, got hooked in like 30secs LOL, maybe you can consider touring outside Quebec? Coz Hollywood(in this case: Vancouver) is calling you tonightheh

Gr8 job again man!
Thanks bro! I don't like Mesa Rectifiers in studio. I still have the Marshall but I used only one time since I bought it. I prefer the Mesa cabs.

Say thanks to your girlfriend but my band split last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStudio View Post
You rock man
Sounds like a commercial record in good way. Drum and guitar sound is awesome.

Joni
Thanks!
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Addict

Killer dude. lovin it over here!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search