The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pop Rock Song- Need Some CRIT!
Old 9th November 2009
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Pop Rock Song- Need Some CRIT!

Hey everybody,

I need some crit on this mix, done in Logic, tracked with a PreSonus FireStudio into a MacBook.

I wont give you my opinion on the mix until you guys give me yours, for the sake of not biasing anyone in any way.

Let me know what I can improve on in this mix!

Thanks guys!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2922211/Son...0Draft%204.mp3
Old 9th November 2009
  #2
Gear Nut
 

sounds pretty neat, a lil bit electronic though.
How did you record the drums? the stereo guitar thing where the guitars are the only thing playing in the beginning, the right guitar is outa rhythm for a few strokes. maybe you can flex it back with the flex tool if you have logic 9
Old 10th November 2009
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recordingist View Post
sounds pretty neat, a lil bit electronic though.
How did you record the drums? the stereo guitar thing where the guitars are the only thing playing in the beginning, the right guitar is outa rhythm for a few strokes. maybe you can flex it back with the flex tool if you have logic 9
Drums were with CAD mics into Logic, replaced by Drumagog with mixtures of Slate Platinum samples.

I can try to fix that thing in the intro with the Flex Tool, still trying to get used to that though.

Overall, any other comments?
Old 10th November 2009
  #4
Performance is kind of rough but good ideas. I agree it all sounds a bit electronic, I don't hear any natural organic stuff whatever the heck that means. It's a good demo mix. I'd like to hear it when it's done.
Old 10th November 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
EddieTheRed's Avatar
 

Maybe bias the blend in Drumagog back to the original drums a bit . . . that opening snare roll sounded synthetic to me.

That aside, it sounds great to me . . . maybe a little cold, if that makes sense, and a little dry in terms of reverb, but it's a strong mix.

When are you planning on recording the vocals? They might add that sense of humanity it's kinda missing at the moment.

I don't mean to sound so negative mate, I really like your track! Kudos heh
Old 10th November 2009
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Performance is kind of rough but good ideas. I agree it all sounds a bit electronic, I don't hear any natural organic stuff whatever the heck that means. It's a good demo mix. I'd like to hear it when it's done.
Thanks!

I don't know what to do to make it sound more organic...I don't have a lot to work with
Old 10th November 2009
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheRed View Post
Maybe bias the blend in Drumagog back to the original drums a bit . . . that opening snare roll sounded synthetic to me.

That aside, it sounds great to me . . . maybe a little cold, if that makes sense, and a little dry in terms of reverb, but it's a strong mix.

When are you planning on recording the vocals? They might add that sense of humanity it's kinda missing at the moment.

I don't mean to sound so negative mate, I really like your track! Kudos heh
Thanks man!

I'll try blending more to see what that does. I agree with the reverb comment, not sure what to do there. I always used to overuse reverb, so I tried to cut back this time. Going for a Paramore kind of production.

Maybe I'll put vocals on soon, not sure how that's going to go. We'll see! Thanks for the crit.
Old 10th November 2009
  #8
Gear Addict
 

The performance needs to me tighter, other than that it's a good demo
Old 10th November 2009
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster View Post
The performance needs to me tighter, other than that it's a good demo
Thanks! Yeah, the performance lacks.

What can I do to make it sound more "pro?"
Old 11th November 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Good job man!

We can hear the ground noise / buzz from the guitar cab during the beginning of the verse but that's no big deal! Overall sounds great and well balanced. I just don't dig the snare but this is so a question of personal taste. I agree with the others saying there's some timing issues. Looking forward to hear the vocals!

LT
Old 11th November 2009
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
Good job man!

We can hear the ground noise / buzz from the guitar cab during the beginning of the verse but that's no big deal! Overall sounds great and well balanced. I just don't dig the snare but this is so a question of personal taste. I agree with the others saying there's some timing issues. Looking forward to hear the vocals!

LT
That's a HUGE compliment especially coming from you! Thanks so much...

The snare isn't my favorite either, but I can always swap it out later on. The verse buzzing won't be there if I really do use this song, that was a rough draft of that part...not very good at all I suppose...hahaha
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump