The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pop/Rock Mix - Feels Rather Dead
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

Pop/Rock Mix - Feels Rather Dead

This is a mix I've been working on for a few days but can't seem to bring a lot of life into it.

Any thoughts? They'd be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files

Europa.mp3 (5.20 MB, 3707 views)

Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

really? nothing to say?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Here are some things I picked up right away:

The snare could be a louder, and the overheads could be turned down a bit.

The vocals need to be turned up a little bit more, maybe add a little more low end to them. Guitars and bass sound pretty good to me.

The whole thing could use a little bit more low end in my opinion. I like the song, and the integrity of the mix a lot! Panning looks pretty good. Maybe pan the overheads more?

That's my .02!
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I like it, neat.

the voice really needs to be more upfront/full. (Level+ / a bit of smooth saturation ... ?). Maybe not enough syllable/level automation on verses.

Tricks I might try to put more life, not everybody's taste :

- having a big reverb (long tail esp.) on a bus coming in/out from time to time on voice
- backing/doubling/fx vocals more upfront on chorus
- maybe try to add a sub bass bus (driven by your bass & guitares -> low pass filter, try some exciter/smooth saturation, compress the hell of it... then make it come in softly) to add overal punch. This bus might need paralel comp for ducking using kick as input, if you use it more than that.
- kick more upfront
- compare your mix with, let's say, Phoenix - Lisztomania, especially on the bass side of the mood.

Hope this will be inspiring.
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input! I'm gonna try a few things tomorrow and post a new cut.
---
a few comments:

The vocals... I know, I know. I haven't really set the vocals where I want them yet which is why they're so far back in the mix.

As for the drums, the kick is actually sitting just about where I want it... the same with the snare. Maybe I'd push them another 1/2 - 1 dB in volume, maybe boost the kick <80Hz and ~2.5kHz another 1-2dB, but not much more. I don't like my kick being too punchy, just punchy enough to sit well with the bass guitar and the rest of the kit. And I can't do much more with the overheads than I have; it just sounds a little wonky because of the way we mic'd the kit. Next time in the studio we're going to be trying something different.

But really, thanks again! Comments and criticisms are always appreciated.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I dig the song! That's the kind of music I would listen and enjoy!

Regarding the mix, its sounds a bit mono IHMO. Overall I feel it kinda miss some bottom/low-end and this is mostly caused by the fact that we can't hear the kick. There's some boomy frequency in the bass guitar.

Hope that helps!
LT
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

Fix'd version of the file.
Attached Files

Europa Text Mix.mp3 (5.18 MB, 135 views)

Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

It's more balanced now. Way better to listen to. But it could still be a little wider.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Cool, the voice is back (and very nice)!
The kick is back in the game too and the sub/bass are under control now.

The rest is just questions of taste/fashion/limiter-philosophy in my eye/ears
and depend mostly if you want to compete on the "radio" madness or not with your mix.
Good luck.
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel75
Cool, the voice is back (and very nice)!
The kick is back in the game too and the sub/bass are under control now.

The rest is just questions of taste/fashion/limiter-philosophy in my eye/ears
and depend mostly if you want to compete on the "radio" madness or not with your mix.
Awesome.

I'm gonna try a few more things first and then dump it down for mastering. This tune is going up on Rock Band Network as DLC by the end of the year and I need to get the developers the final stems; they still haven't gotten back to me if they need me to do some sort of stem mastering to the tracks (I'm assuming I do, but tbh I'm really hoping I don't have to).

I'll do another mix and see if you guys like it any better, I'm still hearing a few things I don't like.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I've put a "pop-rock-radio" master preset channel strip on your mp3 to see where it goes and after quick tweaking found this out:

— the vocal really need de-essing now (quite difficult to get rid of it).
— your bass seems still a bit boomy (search in the 95-115 area maybe) but this can be corrected through the mastering EQ.

But those things apart, it seems you can go wherever you want afterwards.

IMHO: Even if your mix is far better because of the vocal, subs and kick, it as lost a bit of its former and nice garage mood/bite by getting more under control, especially on the guitars part.

Let us now when the release is coming I'll probably buy the stuff,
I like it.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel75 View Post

IMHO: Even if your mix is far better because of the vocal, subs and kick, it as lost a bit of its former and nice garage mood/bite by getting more under control, especially on the guitars part.
I actually like the 1st mix better because of this. Edgier.

IMO bring back the edginess of the guitars and make the cymbals/HH less piercing. What did you do to the snare? It sounds dull on the 2nd mix.

Really good music!
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Third (and hopefully final) mix. I tried to bring the guitars out a little bit more, added some verb and a little more width. I also tried fixing what I did to the snare (which really wasn't anything; I checked and all I did was a small drop around 180Hz).

It's also been smashed to all hell. I hate to do it, but you know how things work these days.
Attached Files

Arkady - Europa 160kbps.mp3 (5.85 MB, 124 views)

Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

I mastered your song !!!

HEY WEEPEL !! I THOUGHT YOUR SECOND MIX SOUNDED THE BEST !!! ALTHOUGH I WOULD BRING MORE CLARITY AND PUNCH TO YOUR DRUMS !!! THE BASS GUITAR SEEMS BOOMY AND ITS FIGHTING WITH THE KICK DRUM !!! I MASTERED YOUR SONG SO THAT IT WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER IDEA OF WHAT YOU NEED TO DO BEFORE YOUR SONG GETS MASTERED !!! I HOPE IT HELPS !!! REALLY DIG YOUR SONG !!!

DOWNLOAD LINK OF YOUR SONG MASTERED !!
i had the wrong file before here is the right one !!

Download MASTERED.wav from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrivera1206 View Post
I THOUGHT YOUR SECOND MIX SOUNDED THE BEST !!!
I do not agree: I think your last mix is the best.

I think you can keep it as your "high dynamic" source for mastering.
tjrivera1206 and I have shown you the way in an unconvincing manner for the radio and loudness war (means online distribution too: unfortunately). His master has a claustrophobic EQ FX on it whereas my master is not under-control at all and get distorted here and there (it needs automation),... but the idea is here: louder, louder, louder and more bass/sub. That's for the doxa, the fashion, and the glory.

Forget your friends and musiciens, make blind tests with common people, on their own system, using those 2 dirty "masters" plus your "smashed" mix vs the music they listen (and they buy) and you'll probably see the sad truth.
The sad truth is: almost every succes album have low dynamics and almost all great producers are in the game.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I must add:

— nowadays nothing avoids to provide both radio and high-dynamics songs on the same album, for both kind of music "lovers" (on the last Mastodon they've given us both normal and instrumental tunes ...).
— "clean" smashed rock radio versions are not just a single high comp/limiter process anymore, but need real skills and complexe tools/algoritms to get there, and can even add something substantial as it's always the case with some music genre. It can be part of the artistic process (like the extreme approach on the Phoenix tune I was talking above) but first of all: it's no more unnatural than the compressor bassists use to feed their poweramp, the multi-comp or clipper used on all well-sized pop-rock concert, the fact that we record instruments track by track, or Phil Spector "wall of sound" that is a major influence for almost all of us.

Music has been killed so many times that some can wonder why we're still doing it...
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weepel View Post
Third (and hopefully final) mix. I tried to bring the guitars out a little bit more, added some verb and a little more width. I also tried fixing what I did to the snare (which really wasn't anything; I checked and all I did was a small drop around 180Hz).

It's also been smashed to all hell. I hate to do it, but you know how things work these days.
i just heard the mastered version and your drums need to be more pronounced the kik is fighting with the bass I like the bass sound overall you can put more snap on the kick and that will help get it out of the way of the bass solo both and find the common frequency on both trax and cut it on the bass or kick this will clear up the fight i hear it being around 180hz and bring that ****er up in the mix he is sittin to far under and boost the guitars a hair and perhaps a lil more mids on em and widen it up it still seems mono!!
good tune though
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

A dirty radio master

From second mix mp3.
http://www.colom.org/stuff/Ark-Eur-RadioMstrDraft2.mp3
(I've put the TC M30 free plugin at the beginning, just for fun - quite good reverb indeed). High end is not really under control but hey, that's not my job. In the other hand, this gives the direction I would go for the loudness war.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear