The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rock / Emo / Electro from Lyon (France)
Old 9th November 2009
  #1
Rock / Emo / Electro from Lyon (France)

Hey,

Here's a song I've mixed and mastered. Please note that I did not produced or recorded the song. The auto-tune effect on the vocals is the band's artistic decision. I'm only looking for constructive comments on the mix. YES I used drum samples and neither me or the band were looking for the 'organic and natural drum sounding' at all.

Here's the link: http://www.luctellier.com/fallaster

Thanks
LT
Old 10th November 2009
  #2
this reminds me of i see stars but maybe a bit more nintendo core

great mix btw, what snare sample did you use? custom, ssd, other?
Old 10th November 2009
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
this reminds me of i see stars but maybe a bit more nintendo core

great mix btw, what snare sample did you use? custom, ssd, other?
I've created a custom snare samples for that song. The tracks I received were already replaced with machine gun sounding samples so I had to replace everything and also there was no room mics... So I took a Orange County snare and tuned it so that it sounds good with the song and I've created custom samples.
Old 10th November 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Great job. Your low end sounds great. It's controlled but hitting hard over here.
Old 10th November 2009
  #5
Gear Addict
 

I miss your posts, where the hell have you been!?

I love the caffeinated rhythm of this song, those guitars rock with the kick drum, makes me want to head-bang towards the end. I even dig the autotuned vocals combined with the screamo.

Only thing I can point out on a first listen is that I personally feel the synth conflict with the vocals at times (similar frequency?) and it gets a bit muddy. Turning it down a bit more when the autotuned vocals are present should do the trick.
Old 10th November 2009
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound View Post
I even dig the autotuned vocals combined with the screamo.
then check out i see stars and attack attack haha
Old 10th November 2009
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er View Post
Great job. Your low end sounds great. It's controlled but hitting hard over here.
Thanks! This might be explained by the Auralex Subdude I've installed under my sub recently! I still need to get used to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound View Post
I miss your posts, where the hell have you been!?

I love the caffeinated rhythm of this song, those guitars rock with the kick drum, makes me want to head-bang towards the end. I even dig the autotuned vocals combined with the screamo.

Only thing I can point out on a first listen is that I personally feel the synth conflict with the vocals at times (similar frequency?) and it gets a bit muddy. Turning it down a bit more when the autotuned vocals are present should do the trick.
I've been working 7 days a week! I got so many great projects to post but I didn't have the time. I'll post a couple this week!

I agree with the synth. It's in the same frequency range of the vocals and the only thing that could have fixed that was the mute button. If I would have produce the song I would have mute the synth during the first parts of the chorus. Well...
Old 10th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 

the snare is a little distracting to me, i think you could blend it better.

is too loud ? too much high-end ? don't know
or maybe it's just too robotic for me

the rest is properly glued

check out Paramore's Riot album. snare is similar, very up-front, but it works better


listening on dynaudio BM6As
Old 11th November 2009
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
or maybe it's just too robotic for me
that was the kinda sound they were going for though!

honestly i think the mix is too loud, but that seems to be luc's thing
Old 11th November 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 

i was talking about the snare, not the rest of the song
Old 11th November 2009
  #11
The snare is on the loud side I agree but that's also true that I like loud drums!

The robotic sound is purely an artistic decision. The drum tracks I've received were already 100% replaced with one single shot (kick, snare, toms) and I didn't receive room mics. Talked with the artist and that's the kind of machine drums they were looking for so...if clients happy, Luc is happy!

Thanks for listening and commenting bros!
LT
Old 11th November 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Jake 2.0's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
The snare is on the loud side I agree but that's also true that I like loud drums!

The robotic sound is purely an artistic decision. The drum tracks I've received were already 100% replaced with one single shot (kick, snare, toms) and I didn't receive room mics. Talked with the artist and that's the kind of machine drums they were looking for so...if clients happy, Luc is happy!

Thanks for listening and commenting bros!
LT
I can def hear that you put your time and hard worl into something that may not have sounded great when it came to you but it def sounds great now! rocking mix dude. You worked with what they gave you and the outcome im sure is alot greater than most mixers could do. right on bro!
Old 11th November 2009
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Hey Luc, you should seriously consider doing a Luc Tellier Productions
Vol. 1 and selling it on your site via PayPal. I would bet you a lot of people here in GS alone would buy it. Then you can pay me a 0.00001% for the idea

There's a mixer engineer here in Orange County doing it and getting good results: The OC Recording Company - Professional Recording Studio in Orange County, CA

Maybe you can ask him how he works it out with the artists he records.

(BTW, check the entire 2nd song from Mona Lisa 'Flashing Lights' on his site, great 3D space on those vocals)

Speaking of 3D on vocals, some songs sound good with vocals up-front, some sound good with vocals in the back (stating the obvious). Well, I liked how you pushed the vocals back on this song. Sounds to me like the 'old school' Luc Tellier is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
honestly i think the mix is too loud, but that seems to be luc's thing
There's no such thing as a mix that is too loud!!

...and is not a Luc thing to do, is a 21 century thing to do.
Old 11th November 2009
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound View Post
There's no such thing as a mix that is too loud!!

...and is not a Luc thing to do, is a 21 century thing to do.
when a mix is hitting 0db the whole time then you can say it's too damn loud

and luc's stuff is definitely louder than a lot of the music similar to this
Old 11th November 2009
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
when a mix is hitting 0db the whole time then you can say it's too damn loud

and luc's stuff is definitely louder than a lot of the music similar to this
I agree that a mix can be way too loud but I can assure you that this song is in the same range than similar music. It's not louder, it's equal. Is it a good thing? No. I wish the overall commercial released music would be 8dB softer and people would turn up the volume knob which does the same exact thing AND the music would sound a LOT punchier and clearer.
Old 11th November 2009
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
I agree that a mix can be way too loud but I can assure you that this song is in the same range than similar music. It's not louder, it's equal. Is it a good thing? No. I wish the overall commercial released music would be 8dB softer and people would turn up the volume knob which does the same exact thing AND the music would sound a LOT punchier and clearer.
well over all the song is equal in loudness to similar stuff but i think the drums are louder than normal

not saying there's anything wrong with it though!
Old 11th November 2009
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
well over all the song is equal in loudness to similar stuff but i think the drums are louder than normal

not saying there's anything wrong with it though!
Yeah I know, I always tend to have my drums a bit louder... I'm a drummer...
Old 11th November 2009
  #18
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
I agree that a mix can be way too loud but I can assure you that this song is in the same range than similar music. It's not louder, it's equal. Is it a good thing? No. I wish the overall commercial released music would be 8dB softer and people would turn up the volume knob which does the same exact thing AND the music would sound a LOT punchier and clearer.
I was being sarcastic about 'there's no such thing as a loud mix.'

Like you mentioned, the bottom line is that you have to be able to compete in the industry because most people won't turn the volume up to hear your song.
Old 12th November 2009
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound View Post
I was being sarcastic about 'there's no such thing as a loud mix.'

Like you mentioned, the bottom line is that you have to be able to compete in the industry because most people won't turn the volume up to hear your song.
and they're most likely gonna listen to it in their cars or with their ipod headphones

you gotta do what you gotta do
Old 12th November 2009
  #20
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
this reminds me of i see stars but maybe a bit more nintendo core

great mix btw, what snare sample did you use? custom, ssd, other?

nintendo core? lol tutt

sorry, just a pet peeve when ppl add the word "core" to the end of random words.

(ie. attack attack is soo crabcore omgggggg).

This mix is phenominal btw.
Old 12th November 2009
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadroom View Post
nintendo core? lol tutt

sorry, just a pet peeve when ppl add the word "core" to the end of random words.

(ie. attack attack is soo crabcore omgggggg).

This mix is phenominal btw.
idk that's what my hardcore friends call it

i guess it's because of the nintendo-esque synths?

they would call this post hardcore for sure though or maybe their new genre which is popcore, yeah i know sounds like popcorn
Old 12th November 2009
  #22
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
idk that's what my hardcore friends call it

i guess it's because of the nintendo-esque synths?

they would call this post hardcore for sure though or maybe their new genre which is popcore, yeah i know sounds like popcorn
It used to all just be "metalcore".

That used to mean a bit somthing more a few years ago, now these bands are splicing dance beats and auto tune onto there breakdowns so I dont even know if it would be considered "metal" anymore...what you said fits best. "popcore" haha
Old 12th November 2009
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadroom View Post
It used to all just be "metalcore".

That used to mean a bit somthing more a few years ago, now these bands are splicing dance beats and auto tune onto there breakdowns so I dont even know if it would be considered "metal" anymore...what you said fits best. "popcore" haha
looks like we got a new genre

Old 13th November 2009
  #24
Holy crap that snare is killer!!!

Good job man, seriously awesome!
Old 14th November 2009
  #25
Haha there's some funny replies regarding the "music genre"! Well, that's just music in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Holy crap that snare is killer!!!

Good job man, seriously awesome!
Thanks! It's a sample I've created using 4 mics and my Orange County snare (14x8). Top, Bottom, and 2 room mics.
Old 14th November 2009
  #26
Gear Nut
 
olofd's Avatar
Cool prod Luc!

Maybe want a little more from the overhead rooms mikes and room.

But thats a mather of taste.
Old 14th November 2009
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by olofd View Post
Cool prod Luc!

Maybe want a little more from the overhead rooms mikes and room.

But thats a mather of taste.
Thanks man! I didn't produced it. Only mixed and mastered. I didn't receive room tracks for the mix.
Old 14th November 2009
  #28
Ah, good ol' OC snares... I have a 14x6 10ply, I love that bad boy.
Old 14th November 2009
  #29
Lives for gear
 
sound_music's Avatar
 

great mix luc, crazy song! lots of nice detailed work in there, might hear a few things more clearly if you pulled that snare down a bit--seems to be eating up alot of real estate. (great snare sound btw! just a little overbearing in the balance)

from a fellow canadian, keep up the great work!
Old 15th November 2009
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Ah, good ol' OC snares... I have a 14x6 10ply, I love that bad boy.
Yeah I really like it but my favorite is still my Ludwig LM402!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
great mix luc, crazy song! lots of nice detailed work in there, might hear a few things more clearly if you pulled that snare down a bit--seems to be eating up alot of real estate. (great snare sound btw! just a little overbearing in the balance)

from a fellow canadian, keep up the great work!
Thank you very much!
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear