The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Close to final mix...care to opine?
Old 9th November 2009
Close to final mix...care to opine?

***UPDATED MIX and ARRANGEMENT*** (12/18/09)

Ok this one is so close I can smell the CD burnin'. All ITB mix and sudo master. Mostly using UAD plugs, Peavey ReValver, Waves Lo Air and my new favoritest plugin at the moment Tube Saturate by Wave Arts. Would enjoy getting feed back from fellow musicians.

Here is the mp3 link: http://www.creativesoundimages.com/mp3/Rain.mp3

And for you quality audio freaks like me here is the full wave file:http://www.creativesoundimages.com/mp3/Rain.wav

Thanks for listening and please let me know what you think. A friend and I wrote it he played guitar I sang and we both wrote the lyrics.
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Nut

sounds real tight nice
dont have any real comments i dont have a pro ear so maybe you can get some pro tips on it but to me it sounds pretty wel mixed
Old 9th November 2009
Cool. Thanks for that and listening.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

I generally think it sounds good so the following is trying to be picky in a sense. Also, you'd probably get more feedback if you threw up an mp3 also...58mb is big for some people.

The drums are too low IMO and could come up...and the snare sounds pretty anemic. You are using a drum machine I'm guessing so I would try a different sample or try to get it bigger sounding.

The other thing is kind of from a production standpoint which is probably more important. The track sounds good but isn't very exciting though. The vocal is the only focal point really throughout the song to an extent. The guitars and drums aren't bringing too much excitement to the table. Listen to some of your favorite songs to all the things going on at the same time and try and throw some excitement into the track. An extra guitar part or key part might go a long way.

Also the chorus sounds almost the same intensity as the verse which is a no-no to me. Thin up the verse or build up the chorus so there are differences besides the vocals getting doubled. When the chorus comes in you almost want it to be an event.

I think you've already attempted mastering this track and all the comments I've made might have been done in the mastering stage so you might want to throw up a true mix instead of a mix/master version. The compression set up wrong could have affected every comment on here.

The most important thing, the vocals, do sound good which is half the battle for the most part. Nice job on the harmonies and everything sounds in tune and ready to go. Hope some of my blah blah blah helps...
cam
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Nut
Very cool song, really unique and interesting.

Camerondye has a similar opinion to my own about the chorus, it needs to hit much harder. I was waiting for the guitars to really pick up and have some thickness but it never seemed to happen.
Old 9th November 2009
Pat
Gear Addict

The snare sounds dead. Good guitar work.
Old 11th November 2009
Thanks to all who took your time to listen, appreciate it. Yeah that is definitely the census - chorus is weak and needs to punch, I do agree.

I am in the process of re-evaluating the guitars tones and parts to see what I can do to make them work better then add a bit more in the chorus.

Thanks again.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

when mixing do you go from loud to very soft, like a small clock radio for example volume, from time to time?

I think that will help you on this song.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ok, call me weird, but I kind of like the dead snare during the verse. The guitar in the verse kind of has this dead-pan tone to it. But I think it's part of the vibe. I'd like to hear more contrast from the vocal - a little more risk in the vocal mix. Uh, this has been said, but the chorus is no good. The verse makes me wait for a big release, and that chorus gave me some serious blue balls. Gotta go bigga bigga bigga.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

The kick is a bit to punchy in the pre-chorus/chorus.
Tighten it up to bass sonically more or flatten it out.

Also, after the spoken word thing add a counter melody to the chorus to give it some build up interest. Like counter descend against the main melody with some added back-ups.

It's good though I like "worship music" production values.
Tell me that the vocal had to be doctored pitch wise in at least a few places...
Old 29th November 2009
Hi!

Thanks to all with the great input!!! I have taken everyone's input and modified the mix keeping those suggestions in mind. Please listen to the new version (same link) to see if it's any better. Of course please feel free to offer up any more insight.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Wow...huge improvement but before I make any serious suggestions/comments I'm going to burn it to a cd and listen to it in my car so I can do it better. I will re-comment after I go play tennis.
cam
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Head

Very nice mix, i liked the song a lot thumbsup

I didn't hear the first mix, but this seems to be tight. I can hear every instrument, there is a dynamic variety and exciment.

I don't want to be hard-ass, but i heard click/pop in the track. It's in the second chorus after second "i need your rain" part, sorry heh
Don't know is it in you track?

There's no way i can mix like you, but i'm very pedantic when it comes over clicks and pops.

All the best
Joni
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Addict

I like mix a lot. Same in the snare is a little weak, but overall, nice mix.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Head

Good tune, I like it. The mix is nice too (I didn't hear the first mix either).
My only gripe after a first listen is the drums in the chorus (especially the bass drum pattern), it's a bit too busy for me.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think this does sound quite a bit better than the 1st time around but found a couple things that you can consider. 1st, the snare is better but it's still a little thin but I'm not sure what you are working with so take that with a grain of salt. Also, at 36.5 seconds there is a stray cymbal hit that bugs me every time I hear it. Mono compatibility??? Your mix does not hold up in mono, which I didn't check the first time. I don't know if it matters but I know there are situations where mono is still utilized and should be considered.

The main thing I'm hearing though is the vocals in the verses need to be heard better. Mainly the 1st verse but the 2nd a touch also. I also think the verse vocals and the bass need some extra compression to make them a little more consistent. I checked the mix on 3 different sets of speakers and felt like the verse vocals and bass needed to be controlled a bit more.

Again, great job. Glad you didn't have as much buss compression/limiting on this one. It sounds a lot more open and you should try and keep that when you master it. Great job.
cam
Old 19th December 2009
Bump for new mix
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiking View Post
Bump for new mix
a quick listen to the mp3 on my macbook pro, the drums all but disappear during the chorus, can't hear kick at all...
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Addict

I'm listening on really shitty headphones (a skype headset) and it sounds pretty good to me! Maybe the drums could go up in the chorus but I can hear them ok (including the kick). There's nothing I can't hear or place despite a lot going on.
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Addict

oh and the vocals were super good.
Old 19th December 2009
I'm listening on smaller bedroom speakers, but it sounds good to me. As mentioned, the drums do tend to get a little lost in the choruses which might help give it a lot more power if they came up more. I guess that's a heavily limited and EQ'd acoustic guitar that comes in there during the chorus? It's an interesting effect and sounds really nice but at least on my speakers it's maybe a little overwhelming and maybe fighting the vocal a wee bit? May just be these speakers.

But anyway, overall it's all nicely and professionally done. I agree that electric guitars sound really nice and the vocal is well done.
Old 20th December 2009
I think the vocals are interesting sounding, the balance is good

But I think the mix should sound thicker and more ballsy.

The drums are not so solid, and even if you used low Air, I feel a lack of body in the low mid -low end.

so..try to make the mix to sound thinker and more punch and size for the drums.
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I feel like the instrumental mix is a little whack in levels. The drums in comparison to guitars and bass is kind of whack. I feel like the way you EQ'd the drums, they should be out front a little more. The guitars just feel out front and the drums feel in the back.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear