The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shameless self promotion!
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Our new EP. very happy with it!

Hey all

My band Mixtape just put out a new EP and i would love the GS community to take a listen. Fiona apple meets radiohead meets who knows what.

Mixtape on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

if anyone would like a CD quality version of any of these tunes just shoot me an email.
myspace does not do the sonics justice.

FIRST 10 GS contacts get a FREE 4 song CD.

the mastering sounds nice and dynamic as well! no autotune but lots of nice ear candy in the mix. really nice songs if i say so myself. the tracks were produced by aaron nevezie at Bunker Studio in brooklyn.

rock on GS.

[email protected]

Last edited by eligit; 10th November 2009 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: retitle.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

wow...no feedback?

bit surprised.

will not bump again....pinky swear.heh
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

Hey,

I really love the sound of the kick in the beginning of "Running." Would you tell me everything about it? Size, heads, beater, mic(s), placement, pre, processing, how much of it is room mics vs spot? I'd also love to hear a kick or room stem of the drums if possible. Please humor me. If I could get that kick sound I'd really be happy!

Thanks, dude.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

i like it, congratulations!
would like to hear it in better-than-myspace quality
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_au View Post
just pm your mailing address and i'll send you a CD.

still 5 free CDs left for G-S!!
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liszt View Post
Hey,

I really love the sound of the kick in the beginning of "Running." Would you tell me everything about it? Size, heads, beater, mic(s), placement, pre, processing, how much of it is room mics vs spot? I'd also love to hear a kick or room stem of the drums if possible. Please humor me. If I could get that kick sound I'd really be happy!

Thanks, dude.

for that i would have to ask our producer/engineer aaron nevezie over at bunker studio.

i can compile any questions here and forward them to aaron...and he can decide how many secrets to reveal...hehe

Last edited by eligit; 10th November 2009 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_au View Post
here is the first tune on the myspace but as a 320kpb mp3:

http://www.mymixtapemusic.com/music/...28320KB%29.mp3

sounds noticeably better than myspace.
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

Excellent song

It is a really good song, congrats.
Interesting, not 100% mainstream.

Just worth critique: Doesnt the synth buzzs near the end sound too out of place??

cheers.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlante0 View Post
It is a really good song, congrats.
Interesting, not 100% mainstream.

Just worth critique: Doesnt the synth buzzs near the end sound too out of place??

cheers.
thanks for the comment!

just to be clear....this is the finished master. the CDs are packaged and being distributed and no alterations are possible or wanted. the ambient sounds are very purposely clear and noticeable....perhaps somewhat reminiscent of the nigel godrich touches found in radiohead and the brilliant beck album "sea change".

(they don't call it shameless self promotion for nothing..hehe)

hope you dig the new tunes GS! any NY GS folks are invited to see us play at Trash Bar this thursday nov 19th at 9pm. 256 grand st brooklyn.

thanks!

Last edited by eligit; 17th November 2009 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: missing gig info
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

We are playing Pete's Candy Store in brooklyn Tuesday nov 24th at 8pm sharp. The address is 709 Lorimer Street Brooklyn, NY

There is no cover and Pete's is a cool hang. We will also have copies of our EP for sale.
Thanks!

eli/mixtape
Mixtape on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Happy to offer some constructive crit.
The radiohead influence is a bit obvious IMHO, especially on Middlesex. Keep working to find [I]your own[I] sound, this feels a bit 'safe' to me. Personally I like music to have a little sense of danger. Take some risks, push it further, get wild! You've got to really stand out somehow to make it in pop rock.
You've got some clever stuff happening here and are clearly a very able composer.
Mixwise (I'm not that experienced here), I reckon the instrumentation sounds great, but the keys and the guits are often allowed to overpower the vox, which seem a little too wet to get right to the front. Too late to tweak that though I know.
All the best, Dave
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

just a bump to let you know about a show

our last show until february is at uncle mike's in manhattan. 11pm.

57 Murray St. b/w Church W.Bway

Last edited by eligit; 30th November 2009 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestWrenchCo View Post
Happy to offer some constructive crit.
The radiohead influence is a bit obvious IMHO, especially on Middlesex. Keep working to find [I]your own[I] sound, this feels a bit 'safe' to me. Personally I like music to have a little sense of danger. Take some risks, push it further, get wild! You've got to really stand out somehow to make it in pop rock.
You've got some clever stuff happening here and are clearly a very able composer.
Mixwise (I'm not that experienced here), I reckon the instrumentation sounds great, but the keys and the guits are often allowed to overpower the vox, which seem a little too wet to get right to the front. Too late to tweak that though I know.
All the best, Dave
interesting....well yeah...middlesex is pretty much a direct radiohead reference...kind of a purposeful nod in fact. believe me....in the course of a whole set radiohead is just one of many influences....i am pretty sure they never played a song like "running" for example....and we have many other angles going.

we also made a specific decision to NOT always stick the lead vocal right up at the front for many sections...we were going for a more "band sound" and perhaps something like older recordings.....not the usual choice....but absolutely on purpose.

thanks for the feedback!
Eli
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

update bump

hey guys....check out a new review:
New Haven Advocate: Music - Local CDs: 01/07/10

and our new pics page:
MIXTAPE - mymixtapemusic.com Β» PICS

(click on individual "pixels" to see full size shots)

thanks for your time.
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

I'm liking it, very cool. Any chance on getting better quality tracks?

Pete
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa View Post
I'm liking it, very cool. Any chance on getting better quality tracks?

Pete
i still have 2 EPs left reserved for GS members. simply pm for a free copy.
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

new shows

Hi all

just a little bump to promote our next two shows

1)jennifer jane gallery new haven CT feb 27th 10pm

2)trash bar brooklyn march 5th 11pm

thanks!

www.mymixtapemusic.com
YouTube - SITTING HIGH

Last edited by eligit; 23rd February 2010 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: dead link
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear