The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rock Mix - First time doubling GTRS
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Rock Mix - First time doubling GTRS

Hey everyone...

I think the last time I posted here I was "learned" a bit on a few things, specifically approach during the tracking phase.

So...now I'm back!

We are in the middle of tracking 11 songs, and this is the first song I decided to start mixing on.

One thing I've always gotten smashed on is my GTR sounds (I'm a drummer)...so I took a completely different approach this time around.

We actually took the time & triple tracked the guitars. We were going to quad them up, but after doing one song, the benefit wasn't really apparent and we're working on some sort of a budget here.

I would love any input, good OR bad, as I want this to sound as good as possible. I think I've come quite a ways since my last mixes, and honestly, I don't think it's HORRIBLE...but after listening to luctellier's mixes in his thread...maybe I should just quit!

Here's the tech info if you like:

Drums - Yam Rec Custom

KIK-RE20
SNR-57
TOMS-421's
OH's - AKG (c1000's I think?..can't remember right now)
Hat - SM-81
Room - 414's
(using SSD samples as well...LOVE the NRG room!)

Bass - Fender Jazz bass w/ active pickups
Ampeg SVT-6 > DI out
Ampeg cab > RE20 and 421
SansAMP > for growl

Rhythm GTRS (triple tracked)

Les Paul > JCM2000 > 1960B cab > 57/421
Epiphone SG > JCM2000 > 1960B Cab > 57/421
Telecaster > Mesa triple Rec > 1960A Cab > 57/421

VOX1 > U87 > LTD-1 > XLogic Comp for control (all I had to work with)

VOX 2 > 414 > 737SP

Mixing was all ITB...PT8 HD with Waves Platinum. I'm hitting the SSD room samples with the SSL comp, other than that there isn't any outboard involved.

I put an L2 on the mix bus at the end just to bring the level up. Sounds like I may have hit it a bit hard (still only about 3-4db though!)...sorry about that.

Thanks again...I'm always a little hesitant to do this, but every time I tend to learn something new and I'm all about that!
Attached Files

pstonight_mix2_192.mp3 (5.61 MB, 2483 views)

Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Hey bro,

Doesn't sound bad at all! The chorus is catchy for sure! The things bugging me in the mix is the mostly the drums and specially the toms. Try scooping some 400-800hz like A LOT and pan them a little bit more. The snare sounds too sound replaced in the fast fills. Try adding distortion in the bass to make it cut without beeing too loud in the mix. The vocal sounds pushed back in the mix because it's too thin, like if it was HP at 250hz. The low harmony in the chorus is louder than the lead vocal, try to balance them at the same volume and make the low-harmony thinner than the lead vocal and they will blend perfectly. Try a very short tight room or very fast delay in the vocal to make it sound wider.

Balance wise here's what I would do:

-Bring up the guitars 1 to 2dB and add 1 to 3dB at 5-8Khz.
-Add distortion in the bass and then bring it down 1db and cut some 200hz because it sounds boomy at some place.
-Bring up the lead vocal and make it sound less thin.
-You could use a split harmonizer on the low harmony int the chorus to spread it a little bit

Don't know if it's a vocal edit mistake but a 2:55 someone says something like "aduc" or something?

Hope that helps and good work btw!
LT
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Maniac

WOW! Thanks LT!

I'm working on song #2 right now...letting this one sit & wrote down the suggested changes from you & a few friends that I trust..not to mention my band mates.

I really appreciate you stopping in & giving me some feedback.

We have 11 songs and this is the first one to be mixed. We're really excited to get to the end of all this.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

No problem man! Good luck with the project!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search