The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Re-foam kit for Tannoy PBM 6.5's; using a Technics SU-8022 k to power the 6.5's
Old 22nd June 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Re-foam kit for Tannoy PBM 6.5's; using a Technics SU-8022 k to power the 6.5's

Greetings gear-heads,

I've been referencing the collective wisdom of this forum for some time, but haven't registered yet as I've always been able to search around for answers...

Anyhow, I'm wrapping up my project home studio, and was just given an old pair of Tannoy 6.5's that have tweeters in fantastic sounding shape, but time has not been too polite to the foam around the subs...

Does anyone know the exact model/type of re-foam kit I need to get, or will any 6.5 kit do? Also, is there any proffered brands over others for kits, or any brands to stay away from?

Anyone know of any re-foam kit retailers in NYC?

Lastly, if anyone has any input on using an old Technics SU 8022 K for the amp, or thinks it's a bad idea and might be able to recommend a better amp for these monitors, I would greatly appreciate the advice!

Thanks again, this is a GREAT forum- I've picked up a ton of tricks for my projects here...

p.s. (if you have made it this far...)

While I'm sure that trail and error, and lots of time will ultimately answer this question, I am curious if anyone familiar with the 8022, or this topic more generally, might have to say about the following:

With "zeroed" (no bass/treble increase or decrease, that is) levels on the 8022, what I am hearing out of the phones jack on my Mbox2pro vs. the same phones (AT M50's) in the 8022 phones jack is very disparate. With a serious bass reduction and treble boost on the 8022, the dynamics are remarkably similar. Is there any tricks for such a debacle? I have been told to definitely leave the levels alone on the 8022, but it seems like I should trust the digidesign vs that signal through an amp? I am very green in these matters, pardon my naivety...

Last edited by Jared Brennan; 22nd June 2009 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Extension of question
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Screw the foam kit, these guys will sell you the actual replacment woofer for $60.00

Tannoy Woofer 4DR51730 6.5" - PBM6.5, PBM6.5 II, C6, Digital 6: Orange County Speaker Repair - GLS Audio Wholesale=
Old 5th July 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Man! I ended up going with a refoam kit for 24$ (shipping inc) from newfoam.com out of Rochester NY. I'll keep a tab on that new subwoofer price, thats a better price than what I had found elsewhere, and I will definitely be keeping this pair of monitors around for mixing.

I have to say I'm impressed with how well mixes through PBM 6.5's translate in even the ****tiest speakers I could find. I Strongly recommend them for folks on a budget. If you find an old pair that need refoaming, its reeeealy easy.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear