The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hi , kindly give my song a listen and comment on it if you like.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Hi , kindly give my song a listen and comment on it if you like.

Ok,so it took some time but here is the 10th Outrun Pietro song called Divination,as allways you can find it in my website:

www.Outrunpietro.com

Let me know what you think,thank you!
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Wow. This is an ambitious production with some really beautiful elements. Right now there are too many elements given the status of huge foundation to fit neatly, particularly in low-mid and low frequency bands.

Congratulations on some lovely ideas here.

John-
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen to this john....indeed lots (too many!) elements in the chores...But i think the premix version is better...more exiting then the mix version...Dunno where to go from here.

Does the mixed version sounds like it was done in a badly acoustic treated room?
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

I like the premix version better. the mixed version sounds very resonant--almost like there's too much EQ going on. Definitely tighter, sounds good on a lot of my systems here. The premix sounds a bit phasey to me--could just be first impression, but regardless of ALL of that, I'd pick the premix over the mixed easy. Sounds bigger, larger than life almost. Very full, very different. Great textures. Honestly, I'd just pay a bit more attention to the lows and low mids especially in the premix, as well as the harshness of the vocals, but the elements are all THERE right now.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

*(I listened the Premix):
Congrats, song and performance are great, but for my tastes, mix is in the "dark side" (needing a bit more highs).

BD and Bass guitar are way too hot in the 50 to 150 hz (a cut by, let´s say, at least 6 dbs in some points ,IMO would be good).That´s why I guess the mix doesn´t sounds good in the car, etc...;(like you said - another forum)

I think you "probably" is in a very live room (in the highs) and with some null points in the lows.

Ciro
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you all so very much for taking the time and listening to my song.

BTW just to add a reference point...here is my room:
YouTube - My cr.

p.s is it such a bad idea to just record my album and THEN mix it or even send it to a mix technician?
I mean i seem to be doing the writing and the recording better then the mixing...i guess it kinda unheard of...Liking a premix version better then the mixed one...
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Any other comments are welcome!
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear
wow, what a lush track. congrats. only listened to the pre-mix version. Just get the vocals to open up a bit, and this track will just speak for itself. I guess it comes back to having a good idea. And this is a good tune.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by belolab View Post
wow, what a lush track. congrats. only listened to the pre-mix version. Just get the vocals to open up a bit, and this track will just speak for itself. I guess it comes back to having a good idea. And this is a good tune.
Thank you you for your time and your advice!
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear
I listened both and I think though your approach musically is better with the premixed version but it has too much issues going on. Also nice song

I think you have a problem with sub freq's in your room. Its hard to say with a mix if its the room or monitors but I'd put my guess that the room is overtreated and it sucks up the sub's and maybe other freq's too much-so your mixes sub ended boosted+not tight (and maybe with phase issues), simply decreasing it won't fix much on the master. Also the mix is too wide as if you mainly monitored with headphones. I took a look at your room and seems either you have to sit closer (and maybe higher) or should widen the placement of monitors. I suggest giving a short break to this mix, work on the room and get back to it.

I hear clipping with the guitar specificly on the solo (and sides), they might be intentional I'm not sure but its too much for my liking (or is it the limiter?). The vocals could use a tiny bit of gain or increase around maybe 6-8 khz with eq or saturation at most of the mix. As said, there's a general problem with sub freq.s, maybe just checking the HPF on each track and adjusting the instruments on the lower end in a different room would be healthyer for now. The reverb on the sides also carry too much bass time to time.

Hope it helps (and hopefully I won't mislead you)
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks allot man ill do that break thing for now...and work on my room and record the 2nd song.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Any more advice is more then welcome!
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Decided im gonna mix the album (and this song of course in canada next summer where ill be there,any one knows a good mixing dude there?
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

i'm impressed. lot's of great things going on in your track. i agree about it being a little muddy in the premix but that's what premixes are for... it sounded like you were heading down the right path on the mixed version. just keep at it and get the transitions right and don't be afraid to turn the knobs until it sounds right. it's an ambitious track and kind of has that 'epic' vibe to it and you pull it off well. nicely done.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Great song!

I actually liked the premixed version MUCH BETTER. It's a bit muddy and too much energy in the low-mid range, but it's got great vibes. The mixed version sounds thin and you tried to polish it way too much and killed the vibe. Or maybe revealing unwanted sound that was originally masked in the premix version. Especially drums and vocals sound too thin and unatractive in the mixed version. I wouldn't change the original version too much and just cut the low frequencies from some tracks that have too much low (backing distortion guitar for example).

BTW where is this band's website/myspace? I wanna listen to some more songs from this band.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Hey thanks for taking your time...hmm there is no band yet just me doing it all.

My plan is to finish the cd by myself and then finding a band,alltho i whould love to meet some cool musicians and song writers im open.

This song i wrote 6 years ago,and in my opinion its the worst out of all the finished 10-12 track that will be in the album, i chose it cause its sort of a simple song i guess...normal structure..solo etc,in the cd plan this song is supposed to fill the 3:30 minutes song that you can hear and say hmm thats ..nice.
its not the hit,or the weird or the more complex tracks in my plan,Just a nice song which suppose to serve the purpose of being a nice song.

The album will have lots of deferent styles (next track is sort of folk)other songs are kinda picking (nick drake style),some rock and another one just like the style of this song but no solo).

I am currently in a pre production stage of the 2nd song...

Again thanks for your time!
Old 31st August 2009
Here for the gear

Great song!!!!,I prefer the premixed version,and to be honest with ya i think you are very talent and you will have promising future!

Good luck!
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Hey there. I really like a lot of the elements you have in the track. Its got lots of vibe and the performances are really good.

The premix and the mixed version need some work in my opinion (I know its not officially mixed yet). They lack some punch and definition but the pieces parts are there!
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

I have to agree,
The premixed is alot more powerful and has a certain vibe which was lost in the mixed version which featured I assume alot of boosting eq by the sound of it.
The vocal are very ringy and ear piercing in some parts of the song for example 2:12 , not sure if this unpleasent distortion is a result of eq or some other processing.

Overall great song,
You should try and hand it over to a seasoned mix engineer and see how he interprets it.
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Also preferred the premix, bloody great song dude!

Btw you said the gear you used was in your signature - cowbell huh? heh
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Great Work!

I just gave the premix a listen.

First off, you are obviously a musical cat so don't let any negative comments take you off your path.

Rarely do I hear something at once so beautiful and yet so difficult to listen too. I could not help but wonder how it would sound if Harry Nillson or David Gilmour got there hands on it.

PS. I would love to hear it unprocessed concerning any excess compression and EQ and tracked to tape. Track it all over again just to please a persnickety GearSlut :-)
Old 5th September 2009
Gear Guru

I like both versions. Excellent stuff.

It gets me listening to the song and not really thinking about the production values so much. To me this means success. heh

Had me thinking a little bit about 'Sowing The Seeds', a song that I absolutely love.

-Rob
Old 6th September 2009
Gear Guru

The first version is better. The second doesn't have you reaching for the volume control, but some of the elements are not standing out as well.

I would say it needs no compression or limiting, but rather over all track leveling. Just get the right mastering engineer.

Your song is growing on me. Kudos. thumbsup
Old 8th September 2009
Gear Addict

Wow, what a great song!

I really hope you get some issues worked out with this tune. Thanks for sharing some great music with us.
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

Meymia - This is a really great song! It's rare to hear such a gem on GS. You should feel good about that. Great work!
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

Outstanding song! Cool voice too.

I prefer the premixed version.
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Addict

I really feel like I need to come back and thank you for this astonishing piece meymia. It really is pure musical bliss (mix issues aside).

I've been listening to it everyday since I saw your post. It gets to me. I think you should be very proud of this track.

If you work on some of the mixing issues, I would most certainly buy a few copies.
Old 10th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd View Post

I've been listening to it everyday since I saw your post. It gets to me. I think you should be very proud of this track.
Same here - it has really emotive elements, I'm going through some **** at the moment and it has helped me. I know it's a weird thing to say, but just thought I would say it.
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Guru

Yes, Meymia is putting together a whole record. I can't wait to hear the rest of the songs!

Old 11th September 2009
The pre-mix version sounds good to me, with just some cleanup to get things out of each other's way a bit more, but not losing the vibe that you have there, basically what everyone else is saying I think. It's a gorgeous tune. And it would be SO nice if you could keep all those dynamics. Screw'em, be different and put out something with real dynamics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search