The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Right mic choice for this song?
Old 16th June 2009
Right mic choice for this song?

Hi! This is a ballad made by a musician friend of mine. I recorded a raw test of my vocal on it yesterday using my shure sm7b. Just wanna know if you think it is the right mic for this song before I start recording and perfecting it... anyone?

Here it is: https://www.yousendit.com/download/c...WkJEbUxIRGc9PQ
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Your vocal is the lead voice, if I'm right Marcus. I have no objection to your current sound, but the genre may call for a more sparkley and airy texture. EQ alone may offer that with your sm7, but do you have a condenser at your disposal?

John-
Old 16th June 2009
Thanks! Yes, I'm singing the lead vocal. I agree, the sm7 may be a little to dark for this genre.. Yes, I have 2 condensers - shure beta 87c and a vintage astatic mic from the 60-70's (it has a very bright and clear sound).. But they are both live mic's.. What mic would you have used for a song like this if you had to choose between the beta 87 and the sm7? I'll record a test later with the vintage mic and upload it here
Old 16th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell View Post
Your vocal is the lead voice, if I'm right Marcus. I have no objection to your current sound, but the genre may call for a more sparkley and airy texture. EQ alone may offer that with your sm7, but do you have a condenser at your disposal?

John-
Here is a raw test of me using the vintage Astatic Mod 857h microphone on my vocal.. Let me know what you think!

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...dVU0b0NGa1E9PQ
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Certainly the Astatic is brighter mic. It's probably fine, but there is a smoothness of midrange your sm7 track offers, so I wonder about using the sm7 with a 6k shelf boost, and pulling a shade of 200-300 out instead.

Your performance is nice, and this supercedes all other considerations, naturally.

John-

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search