The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ITB Drum Sound Comments Pt. II
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Nut

Arrow ITB Drum Sound Comments Pt. II

HD|2 w/ a C|24, and an ISA 428 as the main front end. Myself on drums playing along with the guitar track from one of my favorite songs. No outboard processing, sound replacing and/or beat dectective. If you'd like the signal chain & processing details, just ask

NOTES
1.) You're going to hear some of the original drummers cymbals, room mics, and toms hard left+right (espcially on the left). This was unavoidable, so please try to disregard it while you're critiquing the drums.
2.) Also, there are some slight timing issues that I didn't bother to go back and re-do
3.) The first minute or so of the song is doing small drum tests, feel free to skip through it

Comments are greatly appreciated, thanks

The song:

http://www.dwjk.net/ntky.mp3

Also, here's the first attempt at this that I posted a few months ago:

http://www.dwjk.net/Incubus_(W-Jeff&...o_Know_You.mp3
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Nut

67 views and not ONE reply. Can't I just get a FEW comments to see what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong?
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJK
67 views and not ONE reply. Can't I just get a FEW comments to see what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong?
You did well on the drum production. The snare verb is a bit lush for my taste. I wasn't crazy about the kick, but it wasn't bad by any means. Didn't sound like the toms were miced.

It's a bit boring to hear someone drumming to someone else's songs.

You're obviously a good drummer. Lets hear some originals!

Posting some details on the production is always good. Let's see how you processed things.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

How big is your room?

Nice playing...need to play a touch more ahead of the beat though. You're dragging a touch, if you wanna get critical about it. You also seem to loose a touch of groove when doing fills with the toms. Unless I'm hearing the original maybe.....

Snare crack seems steady enough. Kick's pretty consistent, but could be nudged around in places. Seem to play good with the ride.

Anything else? Play some original stuff, that would be cool, I agree.
Old 12th August 2005
JKL
Gear Maniac

I thought it sounded quite good. Nice drumming. So, I'm curious also, how big is your drum room? Seems those tracks would cut through nicely in a full mix. What was the mic setup? Especially interested in the snare mic. Sounds like a condensor of some sort.

Jon
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad
Posting some details on the production is always good. Let's see how you processed things.
Used the Charles Dye stereo bus method (Analog Channel 1, RenCompressor, FocusriteD2), really helped out the sound

SM57 on top (about 2 or 3 inches away from the head to get more of the drum sound) and bottom of the snare (fairly close to the snares), Filterbank EQ on either channel, gated Waves RenVerb and a super-compressed (RenComp) aux send on the top mic.

D112 slightly off-center about half way into the kick. Analog Channel 2 on USA-M mode on the Tom & Kick bus. Filterbank EQ, about 1db @ 90hz, 3 or 4db shelf around 45hz, a good deal @ 6khz and 9hz, scoop @ 500hz. Same super-compressed trick as the snare

MD421's on all four toms, more Filterbank EQ, scoop @ 500ish, boost @ 5khz, shelf around 70hz.

Ksm32 overheads, spaced pair, joemeek meekqualizer, -5db on the low, mid @ about 700hz -5db, high boost about 2 or 3db

ksm141 on the hi-hat, a few inches up, pointed towards the edge.

Kick and Snare went through the ISA-428, the rest of the mics through the Control24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
How big is your room?

Nice playing...need to play a touch more ahead of the beat though. You're dragging a touch, if you wanna get critical about it. You also seem to loose a touch of groove when doing fills with the toms. Unless I'm hearing the original maybe.....

Snare crack seems steady enough. Kick's pretty consistent, but could be nudged around in places. Seem to play good with the ride.

Anything else? Play some original stuff, that would be cool, I agree.

Here's a shot of the room (Pic was taken a few months ago, so the mic positioning isn't how it was on the track), I'm not sure about the exact dimensions. But I'm sure you can tell from the pic that it's fairly small.

And I agree, my playing could have been ALOT better. I hate to make excuses, but this was actually a first take for a small drumming video I as doing for fun, and I really suprised myself how good the drums sounded. So it was bounced asap to see how it sounded on my computer.

Thanks for the comments, I love getting opinions about my sound
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Nut
Nice drumming. I used to play to that entire cd on the drums and record myself just like you. But how did you take the drums and the vocals off the track? I like the bass drum. Is that the natural bass drum sound or did you sample it? Can you post a sample of it? thanks.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks. The kick's natural, no sound-replacing or sampling
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Nut

What kind of snare you use?? What kit did you use?
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Nut

All DW Maple Collectors Drums

10, 12, 14, 16" Toms
14" Snare
22" Kick

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search