The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First Attempt at String Arrangement(with a whole song)
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

First Attempt at String Arrangement(with a whole song)

Howdy hoooooo....

So the strings aren't exactly "amazing" sounding(quality wise)...but I would like some critique on the song/arrangement/mixing/producing/anything else...

I really dig the acoustic sounds...hopefully all you's do too

edit: and drums kick in around last minute of song jus in case you get bored

there
Attached Files

Not a Worry192k.mp3 (6.27 MB, 243 views)

Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

am I missing something? Or perhaps your missing something (ie: mp3 or link).

ERic
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

lmao hahaha wow go me...uploading now.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

sounds very good to me. some production-details please heh
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

shangoe-

What kinda stuff would ya like to know ? :D
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

what samples did you use? mixed at that volume they are fairly convincing. i would like to hear them up a bit particularly the lower cello parts. good song overall though. however the autotune vibrato has to go. see 1 min 34 sec for example.

so how did you do it?
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear
I think the strings sound better than average, but the arrangement is a bit "in" harmony. the song would stand quite some more active, modern classic harmonies, or if you look into the string sections that bjork is often using...
strings are hesitating in midrange, maybe because you gave the vocals all priority, but it would be a nice task to write some counterpoint or "answering" sequence directly on the vocals.

overall sound is beautiful, and strings go in a good direction, just a bit too shy in the tone scales.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamaudio
I really dig the acoustic sounds...hopefully all you's do too
Yeah, the guitars sound very good! Post some details...
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Head

i think the guitar is panned a litttttle too hard initially.

the strings fit nicely. and it's more than what i'd call dealwithable quality.

vocals are pretty good. the actual song i'm not in love with, but sonically it's pretty cool. the guitars have a very good warm sound to them.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Nut

First off let me say thanks to all the replies...gonna try my best to explain some things :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1Hub
what samples did you use? mixed at that volume they are fairly convincing. i would like to hear them up a bit particularly the lower cello parts. good song overall though. however the autotune vibrato has to go. see 1 min 34 sec for example.

so how did you do it?
I used Mach 5 and loaded in some samples a friend from another studio had(i had nothing better than the Reason 3.0 sounds)...he was very generous to let me have these.

I agree that some of the cello parts could be louder...i guess subtlety is what I was going for

As far as the autotune vibrato...I would never use that...that's my singers natural vibrato.

Quote:
I think the strings sound better than average, but the arrangement is a bit "in" harmony. the song would stand quite some more active, modern classic harmonies, or if you look into the string sections that bjork is often using...
strings are hesitating in midrange, maybe because you gave the vocals all priority, but it would be a nice task to write some counterpoint or "answering" sequence directly on the vocals.

overall sound is beautiful, and strings go in a good direction, just a bit too shy in the tone scales.
I agree that the arrangement is a bit in harmony, and I get what you're saying...I will definately have to do some studying in the "string" area and check out some Bjork...and yes I was mixing for vocal priority...and damnit didn't think abuot the "answering thing" :(

thanks for the comments appreciate it.

Quote:
Yeah, the guitars sound very good! Post some details...
The guitars were recorded with two different acoustics...very nice acoustics...one Custom SHop Gibson, and I couldn't tell what the other one was...anyway aside from that...
Used an m147 through Neve 1084 for one guitar and an SM81 for the other through Amek pre with Neve modules.

All song was mixed ITB.

Quote:
i think the guitar is panned a litttttle too hard initially.
Damnit I agree...wish the song wasn't finished :/// I a damn panning wh0r3.

Thanks for all the comments...So I guess the drums are ok then???
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

"As far as the autotune vibrato...I would never use that...that's my singers natural vibrato."

ill take your word on it but it still sounds bad imho. i showed it to a friend who is a first call session player on violin just to get his take on the strings sounds... wich he liked btw... he noticed the same thing, i wish i had a picture to capture his expression on his face it was classic. we both agree that its a good song but that the vibrato was so abrasive that it was a turnoff. that of course all a matter of opinnion so take it for what you think its worth.
Old 16th August 2005
Here for the gear

dreamaudio - first, well done. as a first attempt you got farther then i would expect most. secondly, good song.

i agree with the "in harmony" statement for the string arrangement and also agree to look for a more aggressive arrangement especially for the cellos. they could potentially support and push the uppermids nicely were only the bass seems to.

the drums come in in a good place (props for the vocal sweel, really enjoyed it) my two intial thoughts are the kick isn't tight enough (personal preference - think john mayer "heavier things") and the snare verb is great but mixed to overwhelmingly. i like the concept behind it, try manipulating the decay in different frequency ranges. try a little more around 4k or 10 k might sound good. another option to help the overall drum sound and kick's impact would be either compression on the oh's with a slow attack or reamping the drums through a big set of speakers into a stereo/mono mic setup and then compress the heck out of them, but with an attack of 25ms or greater to allow the kick/snare/toms to sneak past the threshhold while it squashes the overall kit and adds some big air to the drums. these are just ideas that popped into my head as i was listening and the song is worth my time investing so i hope this helps you out.

also the strings could use some 8k for definnition, but again that may make them sit in the wrong place for your mix.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Addict

i don't hear any strings. just some synth pads. (they sound good though)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search