Old 6th August 2005
Ive already totally reworked it

anybody have a comment?
Attached Files

demonmaster.MP3 (3.33 MB, 234 views)

Old 6th August 2005
There is only one

wow, you arent kidding. bizarre.

the guitars are way too scooped. need a better gutiar tone. clutch is ALL guitar TONE. orange amp or old marshall 45 into orange cabs. SG guitar will probably get you there the quickest. its all about mids, and the balls of the amp and of course tims fingers.

what era clutch are they going for? sounds more towards transnational speedway.... especially hte kick from that era, too clicky for newer clutch.

that singer is REALLY imitating neal.

do you want hints at getting their sound or what?

tim heavily layers his guitars... but doesnt double them. he orchestrates them. make sure you get a phser or wah on some part of the solo.

dan is straight up ampeg sound, old svt. pretty dirty tone.

jean paul is a 24" kick double headed. he seems to like a bit of ring on his snare.

check CD's for how they pan neal... he will be off to one side sometimes, sometimes double track the vox split LR, sometimes straight up the middle.

fix that guitar and you will be closer.
Old 6th August 2005
yeah, Im not exactly going for the straight ripoff. They dig clutch (obviously) but havent asked me to duplicate their sound exactly.

I personally would love to know how they get that vocal sound on "mob goes wild" good ****

Guitarist came in with an Ibanez similar to an LP double cut with stock pickups and a broken fender twin

I made him use my Les Paul and my marshall 2550 head
vintage 30
redbox
into a pentron tube mixer into my motu 1224

4 tracks of guitars

theres no way we're getting close to the guitar tones with his level of abilty.

not to mention mine
Old 9th August 2005
There is only one

my 5yo loves that song... knows all the lyrics. i have neard the song a million times with him asking me to play it over and over but dont remember anything special about the vox on it. most of neal is his voice... weird i know, but his voice is really deep and commanding in person just talking with him.
Old 9th August 2005
Sounds like a hard panned pitch shifter doubling the lead vox and they drop it in and out.

the most impressive thing about that mix is how legible the lyrics are in the midst of all that big ROCK, without overpowering the rest of the mix.
I guess thats what separates the men from the boys
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I don't think their style is anything like clutch. The guys voice is nearly EXACTLY like clutch though. The music is much different though, clutch is much more inventive and interesting, this sounds like really typical bar music to me. BTW, the kick is a little too "pointy" for me. D6 mic no doubt?
Old 11th August 2005
Yep its a D6

It's funny, every drummer who comes in hears the D6 and says,"holy sh*t! THAT'S AWESOME!"
a every time I post something here everybody gripes about it
Old 11th August 2005
k2m
Gear Head

take your time and rework the guitar sounds. the rest of the mix will sound much better if you get a better guitar sound. indeed the recording is well done but the guitar sound.

my 2cts
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
It's funny, every drummer who comes in hears the D6 and says,"holy sh*t! THAT'S AWESOME!"
Well that's the quote of the day right there.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
redbox
into a pentron tube mixer into my motu 1224
I'm hearing phase cancellation on the guitars (listening on my little round apple spkrs)...

Were these 4 sources mixed to one track OR recorded to 4 separate tracks? If they're separate, you MIGHT be able to line them up and get rid of some of these artifacts.

Otherwise, I think you'll have to retrack all the guitars. Phase cancellation/comb filtering can really rob TONE and punch from any source. Mono is your uncle!

That said, it sounds really good!
Old 12th August 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Sounds like a hard panned pitch shifter doubling the lead vox and they drop it in and out.

the most impressive thing about that mix is how legible the lyrics are in the midst of all that big ROCK, without overpowering the rest of the mix.
I guess thats what separates the men from the boys
like i said, neals voice is VERY unique to him. im suprised how much this guy has his cadence down.... but neal in person just speaking is VERY clear, deep, and enunciated. i doubt much is done and the pitch effect is probably just him doubling. i can try and find out tho.
Old 12th August 2005
allright, I scrapped two of the four guitar tracks, reamped it through my deluxe reverb, shelved it at 100 and 6500

probably completely fu*ked it up, but as of 2 am it sounds better to me
Attached Files

demondeluxereverb.MP3 (3.32 MB, 168 views)

Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep its a D6

I think the problem with the D6 is, it does a good job at what it's supposed to do, it just does it waaaay too much. It comes off as impressive sounding with it's huge bass and non-existent midrange, but in a mix, I find it unusable. Seems like it would be more at home on stage, where you need a kick-you-in-the-chest type of kick drum sound, and tone goes on the back burner. I'll stick with a D112 I think.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

everybody's x!

Sounds interesting, but I would do something with the sound of the vocal and the singer-guitar relation level. The guitars are eating him! I don't understand his words. (I'm commenting the first version btw.)
And as the others said I would replace the guitars too!

DeeDrive!

Funny I have the same exact words on beta51. Have you checked it? dfegad
Like you, I will stick to my e602!

Keep up the good work!

Regards!
Grega
Old 16th August 2005
Thanks Balkan,
The first mix is completely obsolete now. The last one I posted is the final (until I mix it again )

I dont dislike my D112, I just used to spend a lot of time carving it up and making it sound like the D6 sounds right out of the box. Sorry fellas I like it, As far as I am concerned if the band freaks on the kick drum sound then I have done my job.

I think it bears mentioning that this particular drummer's kick IS "clicky" it really sounds like that in the room. It's a Pearl 22" , powerstroke 3. falam pad, wooden beater, just tensioned enough to take the wrinkles out of the head.It may sound like I'm hyping the EQ and it could be too loud in relationship to the kit, but that is the way he has it tuned. I put a slight bump in at 80 hz and a little (3db) dip at 250 or so. But other than that thats what it sounds like. I didnt comp it or anything. Overall the band is a run of the mill bar badnd, but the drummer is solid. I didnt feel like I needed to do much to enhance the drums.

I suspect on this particular kick, your D112 would sound pretty much the same
Old 17th August 2005
There is only one

well that will make a clicky drum regardless of the mic... just tape a quarter to the head for more click.

i listened to that track the other day while driving with my son.... he is just doubling on the chorus [is that the part you are talking about], and the 'mob goes wild' part sounds like a mob of them singing.... group vox.

his voice is REAL deep, like barry white deep... or deeper.
Old 17th August 2005
like sweet chocolate salty balls......
Old 17th August 2005
There is only one

lmao.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search