The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My first drum session... any thoughts?
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

My first drum session... any thoughts?

Hey, I just recorded my first session tracking drums all by myself... I'm actually a guitarist/keyboardist, but I've been getting into engineering more and more lately and I had the opportunity to track these drums for my friend's band.

On a side note, the drummer is actually a bass player, but he's not a bad drummer either. This is a really rough mix and all the other instruments are scratch, but I thought I'd get some opinions if possible... since we are going back and doing some more songs on Thursday with the same drums, mics, pres, etc., I thought I'd see if there's anything that you'll hear that I could change. Obviously the levels are really low since it's a rough mix and the room and overheads are pretty strong since I didn't take the time to mix it at all. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Later.

Note: I uploaded a better version down below that's louder and more mixed.
Attached Files

02 - Track 2.mp3 (3.09 MB, 248 views)

Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

This is really nice. I like the song, and you're very fortunate to be working with such a great band. The drum sound is nice and solid, besides the obvious problem you listed, ie. too much of the oh's. The snare sound is a little distant due to this, but I love the sound overall, and especially love the song. By the way, the bass is absolutely beautiful. Can we get some signal chains on all the stuff???
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Sure, no problem... I appreciate the kind words. The band is indeed good and it's right up my alley... this song is a sung vocal number, but some of their other stuff is rapped. Not as cool IMO, but still has a good groove. Here's some signal chain info:

All tracks are going into PT Mix+ through 888's... I really want some Apogee stuff soon.

Kick 1: RE20 inside>API 3124>API graphic EQ
Kick 2: Royer R-121>API 3124... outside about 3 feet angled down... lots of bleed this way, but really fat sounding. I just bought a Soundelux U-195 that I plan to use in this application for the next session if it's here on time.
Snare Top: SM-57>API 3124>API graphic EQ
Snare Bottom: Beta-56>API 3124... not my favorite mic, but the only one I had left.
Rack and Floor Toms: 421's>API 3124
OH's: Gefell m930's>Great River MP-2NV
Room: Brauner Valvet in omni>API 3124

The following are mostly scratch tracks due to mistakes and the fact that I think I can get better tones with more time and experimentation, but here's the chain:

Bass: Aguilar DB 680 tube preamp direct into PT
Rhodes: Speakeasy Vintage Music Dyno Pre into Avalon U5 direct into PT (the Speakeasy is a fantastic pre for Rhodes)
Guitar: going straight into my original Blackface '65 Twin with 57 on it

I was going to either do two room mics, or a hi-hat mic, but about a day before the session, the op-amp in channel four of one of my 3124's went out... bad timing, but I think I made due alright. If anyone has ANY constructive criticism at all, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm aware that it's not very enjoyable to listen to being so rough, and I would have mixed it a little, but I figured what was the point right now... if I get a second tonight, I'll go back and tweak the levels a little bit and bring up the overall level. I'll be sure to post some of the finished product as it moves along. Thanks.

By the way, any other pre's you'll might recommend to compliment my API and Great River stuff... I'd like to get a multi-channel... the Daking is very reasonable and they're stuff sounds great. I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, here's a little better version of the song so far... I mixed the drums a bit and I raised the level. I was very tempted to compress the snare since it jumps out a bit in places, but I left everything how it was for the most honest impression.
Attached Files

01 - FLORida.mp3 (3.06 MB, 191 views)

Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Cool song.
Make sure you (+band) retain this vibe.
It has that friendly cool-funk-summerday vibe...
I hope the vocals + lyrics will fit nicely into this.

And like the kick sound.

Maybe the bassguitar could be just a tad louder

Keep us posted on the song.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Bump

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search