The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My First post - please be gentle!
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Nut

My First post - please be gentle!

Hi folks, this is my first post on here. Its a rock/metal track from an album I've working on. Nearly there in the sound as far as I can tell any way. Please feel free to make some sugeestions. It was recorded on about 700 pounds woth of gear (inc. mics) So forgive me if things arn't quite perfect. There is some digital clippingtowards the end, but thats my fault for not paying enough attention and pushing level up too much. Also not too sure how well it's been ripped to MP3.

Thanks in advance.

David.
Attached Files

Track01.mp3 (4.17 MB, 121 views)

Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Yeah I know. Take em on there own and crank it up and the chug is dry and heavy but I'm losing it in the mix??? Tried boosting around 250 below but couldn't quite get it right. I'll keep pushing it tho cheers man.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

that kind of what i'm trying to get right at the moment. The bass was a cheap peice of rubbish (which was refused to change) and it has taken me ages to get it to work. Just wish I'd put me foot down and made him get a fender or something decent. Any tips then on how to get it right?????
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Guru

David in addition to the guitars being brittle, it's scooped overall... look to add a little around the 700 hz range. Watch the top of the bass guitar range for mud, and the subs on the kick sound like they need a shelf cut, that kills the punch.

Can you lower your levels and repost? ... it's too clipped to hear anything for sure thumbsup
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

I think theres a clash of sounds too. The drum sound you have doesnt really work well with the guitar sound you've chosen, and vise versa. This makes things even more difficult for you and your mix. Sonically i dont think it sits well together. As already noted, there seems a massive hole in the mix between the drums and guitar. Also, id resist drenching the drums in as much reverb as you have, but that, i suppose, is down to personal preference.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

Well don't recall applying any eq, but I'll have a look and add some at 700. will repost at my earliest convenience. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior oflight
Well don't recall applying any eq, but I'll have a look and add some at 700. will repost at my earliest convenience. Thanks for your suggestions.
not exactly ... but in that range thumbsup
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

I'm at work at the mo and all I have is my laptop, so I boosted 500 and 1k on WMP - my God what a difference (i must add it's only 10 band graphic). Everything comes to life! Cheers Brian thats the emotional content I was looking for - Thanks. Cant wait to get home and crank through some outboards!!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search