The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I think this coming together nicely
Old 29th July 2005
I think this coming together nicely

this is a weird prog/primus/zappa band I'm currently tracking, no vox yet but the rest sounds pretty good, whatdya think?

http://www.selectivestitching.com/ncnc

(my mother in law has some webspace I can use)

this is the drum setup I posted about in the PZM thread

drum setup

D6
mk012 x 2
(glyn johns style)
2 rat shack PZM's behind the kit

btw these are full on wave files, so if your on dialup be warned
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

I think the guitars sound pretty roomy. Maybe thats what you are going for? The guitars also sound pretty dull, possibly from being miked at a distance?

There is good energy and the drums sound pretty good, although I would have them a little more up front.

Personally, I would retrack the guitars and mic them with a close mic and a room mic and see what that gets you. I just feel like they lack the presence that comes from close miking.

If they are close miked, then I would blend that in more and the room mic less.

It does sound like it is coming along nicely though, they are a tight band for sure.

Beez
Old 30th July 2005
thats kind of funny, the guitars are mic'd through a randall isocab, no room in them at all, so when I read that I was thinking "WTF?"
then I dl'd one of them and realized these are the first roughs from tracking the drums it has the SIR reverb plug on the two buss

actual mixes are much drier
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Addict

haha. . . ok. . . well upload mixes with some dry guitars when you get a chance. I'd definately like to hear them.

Beez
Old 31st July 2005
Nut
Gear Nut

I agree, the kick drum is way too clicky... This isn't deathmetal..

But otherwise it is great. This sort of music is right up my alley, i'd love to hear it all completed.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

I agree about the kick drum, it's weird, I knew this was a D6 before I even read it in the first post. I know this mic has been hyped as the "ultimate kick drum mic", but I can't stand the way it sounds. I've never been 100% happy with my D112, but I was much unhappier with the D6. Anybody else have a bad experience? I just think this mic sounds like death metal even without EQ.
Old 1st August 2005
well in all fairness the kick is about 6 db's too hot in those files. It is much nicer backed off, I just havent had time to repost the newer stuff.
Alot of it is the actual sound of that drum, he has a very clicky kick drum in general. I like it personally and the band LOVES it which I guess is all that matters anyway.

the d6 is definitely scooped (there's no eq on these) but I'd say mostly what you are hearing is what his kick sounds like.

theres an updated zip file there now, the singer pretty much ruins it but that's another thread.

it is interesting tracking a guy with no regard for pitch or timing, basically saying" hey thats my style, record it"

I'm keeping the intrumental version for my reel

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search