The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
"Through the Soot" - Arizona Song in the works
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

"Through the Soot" - Arizona Song in the works

Hey all- I originally posted this clip in a thread about Soundelux microphones as an example of a track done almost exclusively with the Soundelux ifet7 microphone. Arizona, my band, is a group of four kids in our early 20s who met last december to work on some of my old demos but came away (with some help, gearwise, from Mike at Wunder Audio) with a really smoking 4 song album (called the sun and the room) that breathed life into the band and has made us a growing force in New York City.

This song, Through the Soot, is the first recording Arizona has done since we all finally congregated in New York (two of our bandmates were living/studying in Atlanta, but the fun we had making the record and the reaction to it have caused us all to pick up our lives and move to NYC together) about 3 weeks ago. It's also the first complete song I wrote after the first Arizona session.

As I mentioned, the song was recorded almost exclusively with an iFet-7 (the other mics are Earthworks TC-30ks on drum overheads). Preamps were a Pendulum Audio Quartet (vocals, guitar, upright), 2 Channels on our Cranesong Spider (overheads), Wunder PEQ-1 (david gage pickup), and Great River (misc.)

Yours truly on vocals/guitar, my friend Nick on background vocals and drums, and Alex Hornbake on upright. Alex does the vast majority of the recording.

This track represents a pretty good idea of what we can do on our own, in our own space, in about 8-10 hours. Obviously the mix isn't anywhere near perfect, and I'd personally really like to work on this material in a more properly equipped studio with a producer who can help us render our vision perfectly, but I think we're doing pretty well on our own. :-)

Hope you all like the track and please hit me back with some comments.
Attached Files

throughthesoot.mp3 (2.78 MB, 687 views)

Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

I think you have a unique style, and your recording sounds unique too. Roomy and present. Nothing bothers me about it other than the fact that I can hear every little noise that happens in the room throughout the mix.

Using a condensor like that on so many tracks can really let a lot of noise creep in without being in a properly treated room. So my only bit of advice is, try checking your tracks in headphones and make sure the ambient noises of the room are not playing havoc with your tracks.

Seeking out a good producer would definately be a good idea too. If he is interested in your group, he can possibly put it in the hands of the right people and you might soon find yourself with a record deal. However, that would probably mean you'll be paying him for it too. I guess its a cost you have to consider.

My band is in the same boat. We have been together 4 years and are taking a little time off for our guitarist to get his masters in music. We are currently recording in a house and getting some great sounds, but unfortunately we may have a great record and no way to get it out there unless we find a label or get a really good manager.

Good luck to you.

Beez
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Isn't this funny. Arizona (the state) is burning like crazy right now, and you recorded a song a little bit ago called "through the soot". Concidences are crazy.

Anyway, the vibe of the song is cool. It's a bit thin sounding but whatever.

I like they style and could see great things if you keep this up. Finding a producer who can work with your vision and musical style would be my first step. How big is your fan base? That's another set you need to work on now.

Thanks for sharing. I wish you my best. Great stuff.

Tell the dog to calm down.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the comments guys- it's a track we're very proud of, but the other things we have in th works may completely dwarf it. Beezoboy, I agree about the noise; I think it's gotta be destracting but in my little studio right now only one pair of headphones has both sides working- actually, another thing I remember about that night is that there was an ungodly amount of noise in the room that kept me from using the soundelux in every part of the room except for one (sitting indian style in a corner away from everything).

Djui, hey thanks for your comments man. Haha, I'll definitely try to keep Guinevere's excitement level in check next time we record. ;-) To answer your question about fans, we've either sold or given our EP (which we haven't properly supported at all yet, being that we've just been actually together for 3 weeks) to about 300 people, and I think we've had only two really bad reviews (those guys ripped up the album cover in front of us). We can bring about 30-60 people to a show; we're really trying to book something sizable because we know we can bring the place down.

Another cool thing about Arizona (haha that is a funny coincidence) is that one of our band members is an absolutely unbelievable visual artist and we can do things as ambitious as animated videos on our own. One of the things I hope will make us attractive to working with a corporate infrastructure later on is that it takes only a small amount of extra funding (relative to say, even the foo fighters) to make us productive- this guy, with 3 hand picked assistants, could make something along the lines of that windmill video of the gorillaz that's playing on TRL these days, lol.

Anyway if either of you guys eMailed me your adresses, I'd gladly send you guys copies of the first record :-)

Thanks so much again for listening
Ben
Old 22nd July 2005
Here for the gear

Hey guys,

I actually engineered this track, I just have some corrections and elaboration for those of you that are interested.

The iFet7 and pendullem quartet were used on every instrument, but if you listen to the track, the instrumentation lends its self well to the mic, acoustic guitar, voice, upright bass, and a room/aux kick (placed like 2 feet off the ground, 4 feet back from the kit on the right side to get a more interesting definition on the kick and snare). The drums were a fairly traditonal setup, and the vibe of the track allows for mic placements that wouldn't be viable on a more rock'n track. The overheads (TC30k) were place very low and wide, and run through the crane song spider, and a pair of distressors. The snare and kick are an sm57 and a audix d6 both through a great river mp-2nv (waves RChannel eq and light compression).

As far as noise goes, we did our best to reduce the room noise, unplugged the fridge, turned of the hvac, turned off the lights (dimmers, I HATE dimmers, unless its those really cool giant isolation transformers, jesus those are cool). But alot of it comes down to a tradeoff between vibe and noise, i'll take vibe and feel over noise anyday (within reason). I mean I'd rather let a singer sing quietly and crank the preamp a little more, than make them sing like an idiot. As far as actaul noises in the room, that goesinto the whole vibe too, i mean this song was recorded in one shot from 10pm-9am, while drinking beer and chilling out. Who knows how it would change the vibe of the track if we had enforced a iron-fist noise policy (i guess that's why a control room would be nice).

Anyway, thanks for listening guys.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search