The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hard Rock Hell!!!
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Hard Rock Hell!!!

Hey guys,

I've been lurking the boards for a long time and this is my first post. I've been working a mix now for about 3 months (i'm still learning) and i just can't get it to relate right across the board. I'm not a newbie, i make part of my living engineering, but now is the first time i'm really trying to be competitive with the big boys and i'm running into some brick walls.

The mix im posting is just a foundation of the basic sound, so certain lead guitar levels are soft, and theres no vocal but i just can't seem to get the low end in order and it's throwing everything off. If anyone can give me some advice on the low end, and the high end sheen it would be a huge help. This mix is way to mid heavy but, when i work it to the point where the mids aren't dominating it sounds too scooped and thin, and doesn't relate on many systems. This mix was clipped a little to hard so theres some distortion which i know about, but i'm looking for some advice on the overall sound. Bang is gonna send me his mix when he gets his studio setup in LA but i'm hoping you guys might have some pointers for someone who would love to learn. My sub is just going nuts at the wrong times and no matter what i do i can't tame it. I need new monitors i know that, but i also need some advice to help me understand what the hell is going wrong.

www.feffband.com/Start3.mp3
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

The bass sounds either out of tune, or he's playing the wrong notes. Everything sounds good to me but the bass, and the Hats touching together at certain parts. The overheads seem a tiny bit low to me on some of the harder parts. I'd check the bass solo'd with the a guitar or two. It definitely sounds sloppy to me (the bass). Good mix though.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I think the vocals are a bit low in the mix

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search