The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1st posted mix
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Head

1st posted mix

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

Here is a mix of a tune I've been working on submitted for your critique.

Any feedback, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Jed
Attached Files

They Came 7-18.mp3 (4.57 MB, 1179 views)

Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent E
Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

Here is a mix of a tune I've been working on submitted for your critique.

Any feedback, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Jed
I liked it. I would try to push the vox up in the mix a bit, perhaps put a short delay and pull back the verb just a bit (a little goes a long way).

I really hate Ovation guitars, but that has nothing to do with the mix.

I also would have liked the guitars to have a little less of the room...

JMTC,
Rob
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Head

Rob, thanks for listening, I appriciate your comments.

Quote:
I liked it. I would try to push the vox up in the mix a bit, perhaps put a short delay and pull back the verb just a bit (a little goes a long way).
I can certainly push the vox up, I've been moving it +/-.5-1dB, trying to find the perfect hole. There is a short slap delay on the vox, but pretty low in the mix. Actually, in this version I dropped the delay level and brought up the reverb, maybe too far...

Quote:
I really hate Ovation guitars, but that has nothing to do with the mix.
I hear you there, unfortunately the guitarist is used to playing amplified and loves the crispy pizeo sound. I blended a mic in, but he prefers the DI, go figure.

Quote:
I also would have liked the guitars to have a little less of the room...
Room in the mix, or room sound?

Thanks,
Jed
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

A tad less room sound... which may be hard to fix in the mix, but just something to look for.

Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I like the space and air in your mix. The bottom is nice and tight and there is some space and stuff on top. The vocals are best, I think, when they're double tracked about 1:00. I would do throughout the rest of the song, because the vocals didn't seem as strong in other parts. The phase from the double track also give it some air to match the rest of the song. I think you could accentuate the guitar solo a bit too with some extra delays, ala "All Along the Watchtower." I can tell you're doing some panning there. Try to go a little further. It seems like you've got a good stereo sound going, so I'd bring everything up to that stage.

But maybe that's the over produced route and it's ok as is. The drums sound good, maybe try a little more parallel compression to see if you can bring them forward more.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

Wallace,

Thanks for commenting. Some good ideas... I had a vocal double of the whole song but dropped it during the verses to bring impact to the choruses, I'll try bringing it back but lower for verses.

I like the "...Watchtower" type delay, hadn't thought of that, worth a try. I'm trying to give some "movement" to the solo without being distracting. A delay on the panning might be the ticket.

I might be able to add a little more parallel compression on the drum bus to increase impact, but the crashes get harsh pretty quickly(not the most experienced drummer).

Thanks for the input and ideas,
Jed
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

cool. let me know if you get a new mix. I liked the vocals doubled, because it made the song more "swimmy". I wouldn't go for anything over the top with the suggestions I gave, just push it a little more.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

Anyone else?
Quite a few listens, not many posts...
Yay or nay? Good, bad, or just ugly?

Thanks,
Jed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search