The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
are the "s"'s annoying??? (RAP)
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

are the "s"'s annoying??? (RAP)

I used couple of de-essers, vocal hype, hydratone's phase to get rid of more annoying high freq's, it's as soft as I could get it at the moment.

I tried mackie 624's for the first time on this mix, they seem to translate really well on other systems. The bass is way up for me, and the mid freqs are not clear at all... but they seem to work somehow... there's something about them. I'll try them on a rock mix as well, see how they translate.

The low end might me a tad bit boomy? Too much? Just learning the speakers...

-Johannes
Attached Files

pain and joy.mp3 (7.26 MB, 167 views)

Old 15th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Here's a different track from the same artist - mix is still not quite finished. Here a different preamp was used, and doesn't sound as harsh as the first one to my ears... Any comments??? I'd appreciate some opinions, cause I'm fighting a battle with this "digital harshness" issue. Thanks.
Attached Files

darkness.mp3 (5.79 MB, 209 views)

Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear
hi johannes,
vocals:
did you boost the high end? but there is lack of a certain midrange, particularly in the 2nd song.
the de-esser is lilting! I think it is bandpass and tuned too low. try the first device around 7k-9k, and then the second a bit lower, around 5000, to clean up.
instead of boosting the high EQ you might try something like a saturation or an exciter, and a few very short delays (lo cut) with a compressed mult, attenuate the high end after the compression. but better find the rap and r&b voc threads in the archives, good stuff about multing.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hey there cool tracks,was there some type of stereo enhancer used on the vocals as they sound very unnatural especially in the first song.I recommend try a more natural approach,also the tracks are very compressed ,maybe use less compression and worry less about loudness and more about dynamics the bass sounds a little tortured but hey which rap song does'nt.I find nearly all digital enhanceing plugins suck. What gear did you use to record?
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

thanks for the replies, appreciate it! (how are you hans

well, this project was recorded and arranged by a friend of mine, with me helping out with a "quick" mix, about hour 1/2 for each song, since they wanted 2 demo mixes ASAP. In mixing there was just some plugins I wanted to fool around with, rather that trying the traditional approach (whatever that is

Before now, I had never tried the quantum FX plugins like "vocal hype" and others for hyping up the vocals by excitment. He had a bad silibance problem and microphone and preamps used brought it out even more... Unfortunately Hans is right about it sounding like I boosted the high end (which i was actually trying to cut in every way) and not enough clear mids.... also when hitting the right frequencies for de-essing (tried just about every de-esser I own) it started to sound like a duck, or a person without front teeth. So I settled with using 2 of them together to soften things out as much as possible.

I will definately have to look up the multing issue with the rap vocals, wasn't able to find it in the first try, anyone remember what the threads were called like? Also what kind of short delays are we talking about, Hans? I'm really curious to find out, learn about this! Thanks a lot guys!

-johannes
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear
hi!
depends on what the project is about. methinks would be a salvage job with the wave editor, or to re-record (heard about the pencil trick for sibilance?). but I don't know the raw voc tracks.
delays, thinking of perverted haas delays, but thats theoretical, try to get into the threads. (pensado, dye?)
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I didn't find the "s"es annoying at all, this type of music usually has a pretty hyped high and low end, and I think it works very well here. Also, it's very refreshing to hear a rapper you isn't on MTV who actually has some talent.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Its not that bad.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I think the SS-es are way to loud, immediatley bothered me from the beginning (not just being difficult here).
Sure could use some de-essing.

grz

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search