The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pop/Rock...mix okay but not "big"?
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Pop/Rock...mix okay but not "big"?

Hi, this is my old band. I still have the PT files lying around for an EP we did a few years ago, and now I've decided to mess around for a fun learning experience. This was recorded in a nice studio and now mixed in my apartment.

I'd appreciate any comments you guys may have. I feel like I found a good balance and I can hear everything just fine, but it doesn't have the super clarity or oomph of a commercial release (something along the lines of Weezer or Jimmy Eat World). Of course it'll never sound THAT good, but I feel like I'm missing something or doing something wrong. Maybe it just needs to be mastered...I dunno.

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the lack of volume (not mastered).

xoxo,
wolffy
Attached Files

SeaChange_v1a.mp3 (4.75 MB, 188 views)

Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I would cut some lo end from the female backing... Sounds good - the mix sounds a little thin - I would love some more fat in the lo end. The lead sits nice with the rest of the instruments. I'm listening on headphones.... Will listen tonight on speakers.

Cool song.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the comments dim!
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

do you have a compression track that you are mixing in with the natural drums or just straight compressing the individual tracks?

for that super huge sound I like to not only put compression but a little bit of tube distortion and sub bass booster (like RBass or Maxxbass)

Also... the reverb on the drums and vocals sound kinda weak... everything sounds very 1 dimensional.

everything does sound very clean and fitting of the song but yes... just needs hugeness.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search