The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Critique my mix (pop/rock)
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Addict

Critique my mix (pop/rock)

Drums come in at the very end, feel free to skip there but I think its a great song.
Attached Files

TME - Ebb and Flow.mp3 (5.51 MB, 1609 views)

Old 12th July 2005
Gear Nut

Nice work. I like the song, although a darker sounding mix would do it more justice IMHO ...

I'm listening on crappy computer computer speakers right now (ones that I'm not even used to) so I could be way off base...

The low end doesn't have the kind of definition I am wanting to hear: I would like to hear it more saturated, especially the bass. I think the bass needs to growl a little more - use a compressor that will saturate as you drive it, with a medium-to-fast attack and fairly fast release followed by an la2a type limiter.. at least, that's partially how I get the sound I like.

The whole mix sounds pretty compressed too, so that could be it.

Hmm, the kick drum, I honestly think you could lose a "little" of that 3-4k click.

Umm, on the vocals, I think they are little TOO present, or at least some of the frequencies (again, crappy somputer speaker) - I would have to say at 3k and 8-9k. Also, since the production has room for it, I would make the vox slightly less dry - make add a very subtle tempo delay - filtered so that you can basically only hear it when it's not there. Just my $.02. I'll add another post if I listen on better speakers or my monitors - possibly everything I'm saying is biased because of these crappy speakers.

Good job!

What kind of gear were you working with?
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks for listening!
About the low end. I put quite a bit of sub bass in there from a keyboard which is doubling the bass melody. I do think the bass guitar could go up though or at least be more present.

About the drum sounds... he played a really attacky sounding kit. (orange county)
And he was pretty anal about having the drums sound as close to possible as they do live.

I like the idea for delay on vocals it would match up nice with the delayed gtrs.

Recording gear consists of...

Presonus Digimax 8 ch pre
DBX 386 tube pre
Trident S40 channel strip

pretty basic cheap mics...
GT66 being most expensive.
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Nut

Definitely impressive given the gear. I'll let you know what I think of I get a chance to listen on my monitors.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Anyone else?
Old 7th March 2007
Gear Addict

Cool song!
how much did u pay for the Trident S40?
Old 7th March 2007
Gear Nut

Good work, really!

I noticed some cliping at 1:00 !
think you should lower the vox.
the flanged guitar riff on 2:08 can be a bit louder, because it should be leading that bridge part.

great stuff
Old 7th March 2007
In general, the mix is good, especially the guitars. Loved the kick sound too.

A couple of things jump out at me though...

1) The vocal is way too out front, especially at the beginning of the track. It's a good sounding, well performed vocal, so it's probably a little tempting to really put it out there, but it loses its impact very quickly at its current level. It blends better towards the end, but still not great.

2) I really dislike the snare sound. It sounds very distant, round, and lacks definition. It doesn't punch at all. It sounds like that particular drum is already somewhat subdued in tone...not a lot of "crack"...so pushing it so far towards the back with reverb, etc., doesn't help.

3) The bass feels mushy in the lower registers, primarily on the D. I'm assuming the guitars and bass are in dropped D tuning? I don't know what you could do here besides retrack the part. It actually sounds like it is losing the tonal center, but only on that one note. Maybe an intonation issue?

All things considered, it's not bad at all. With a little tweaking, this could be a really, really good mix. Good job!
Old 7th March 2007
Gear Head

sounds pretty good overall. i just really dont like the part when the snares are turned off. its pretty far back in the mix and sounds really distant. but when snares come in its better. you can hear the snares vibrating on different parts when they are on and he goes to the toms or something. i really liked the toms though.

also the vox are pretty dry. maybe it could come down a db or so, and maybe make it bigger with more reverb/delay.

not a pro, but i'm just speaking my mind!

great direction and awesome sound overall
Old 8th March 2007
great song! wish i could fin a vocalist that could sing like that!

to me the bass is a little undefined. maybe take a touch of click out of the kick and donate it to the bass?
also from 2:30 there is heaps of distortion on the vox... i assume this is intentional?

agree with bringing the vox down a coupel of DBs and giving it a little more ambience

the hollow/unsnared snare should be brought a little more.

to me the flangey guitar gets a little lost.
also the shaker sorta takes me by surprise. dont know how to fix that really.

overall pretty damn cool sounding!
Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

I guess I will chime in:

Ditto on the hollow snare hotter
Ditto on the snare popping more
Ditto on the vocal in the front

I would roll the over heads at about 12k and over to give it that 'record' sound.

The bass and the kick are close in working together but I think there is to much lowend when they are combined. Try rolling off the bass at around 60 or even 70hz allowing the kick to do that work but then the bass to work the top end.

The song is very good and unique - it just doesn't sound like a record, it sounds like a good demo. Try taking it up a few more notches to give it some punch.

I would love to take a crack at mixing this song would be great fun. Let me know if you'd like to take me up on that.

[email protected]

To hear some songs that I have done a 'reMIX' on go to my site and listen:
http://creativesoundimages.com/%28re%29MIX.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search