The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
another one for your input...
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

another one for your input...

I've been real impressed with all of the feedback I continue to receive for the last song I posted https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/36710-work-progress.html

This song is fresh very very fresh....minimal mixing has been done. I think the tracking is pretty good though and it has potential. I've upgraded from an Mbox to a Makie Onyx 1220 as my interface. All the other equipment is the same as the last song. Unfortunately, it's another groove agent drummer and it's pretty weak with NO variety at all. But, I feel like this song needs drums/percussion of some sort.

Anyways I look forward to hearing what you think about this one. Any advice on the mix to come is totally appreciated!

(oh yeah, the violin part for the chorus is an intentional two track echo...I was planning on taking the second one and dropping it's volume, stretching it with a little reverb and doing a little panning....what do you think?)
Attached Files

electric glow.mp3 (4.77 MB, 890 views)

Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

I like your other one better all and all. But you have an interesting style none-the-less. thumbsup
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I like your other one better all and all. But you have an interesting style none-the-less.
Thanks for listening! I just thought I'd give this a try...this song could (and will) sound much better. It's still pretty raw so there's going to be a bit of playing around and so on. How about the quality of the recording? Am I getting any better...? Of course it's no where near perfect...but if you could pick it apart a bit, strengths, weaknesses- it would really help me alot.

Does anyone know of a "long-distance" solution to getting some decent drums into my songs. We're going to get a kit set-up next fall but we're a little eager to start working in some PROPER drums now....
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

You need to get better drum sounds. Not sure what you're using, but they're very buried/muddy. I like the verse, your voice, the style of your music. Garden State soundtrack kind of feel. Don't know about the chours yet. Sonically, it all sounds muffled. I crave more presense and sparkle. Listen to your song, then listen to say...GREEN EYES by Coldplay, and try to get things there sonically. I know you don't have the best of gear, but I think you can get closer. Tell me exactly what you're using to record all of this. From Mic to speaker...
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Tell me exactly what you're using to record all of this. From Mic to speaker...
Okay, well...right now I'm using a beyerdynamic MCE90, straight into the Onyx pre, straight into the DAW (Cubase SX3) It's pre-EQ. This is what I've been using for vocals, guitar and violin...of course with different levels and positioning.lol. And for the bass (which is a cheapy Cort Acoustic Bass) I plug right into the Onyx with the HI-Z setting...

Initially, I don't use any plug-ins except for the bass....I put on a brick wall cause it's a little bouncy (for lack of a better description...) and a little sonic boost (cause it's crap). I'm playing a washburn accoustic guitar these days (D34SCE) ...and that's about it. I have a few other toys in my reach, but what I described has been the choice lately... AND then I do all the mixing through a pair of AKG Headphones...no monitors right now, so if I want to listen to it outside the phones it's just through some creative labs computer speakers.

I don't want to aquire too much stuff right now, cause I'm living overseas and I don't want to fall in love with it and have to leave it behind OR risk shipping it home... But I do have alot of "virtual" gear ...I'm still learning how to use it effectively though...

(oh yeah, the drum sound on both of the posted songs are just from Steinberg's Drum Agent V.1......I've been trying sampled loops without much luck as well. I think Lucey might help me out with that...)
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

You do well with what you have.
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks! I know it's not much, but I'm shacked up in a little apartment in Korea... oh well. I am considering investing in some new microphones and maybe some other equipment too. It must be stuff that I could bring back to Canada with me, so nothing too bulky for now. Once I get back, however, I'm going to build a studio. Nothing huge...just something with the proper spaces. I really like your set up Tetness! Any advice on some equip. I could pick up for now...I'm going to be here for the next few years and my job affords me alot of time for recording....
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

I think the piece of gear that would help you the most is a great mic pre with a good EQ. Then a good mic. There's great products out there on eBay. Viintech, Portico, API, etc... When do we get to hear another song?
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Nut

I think you need to edit the instrument tracks because they´re not playing tight at all. And tune the guitar...
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Maniac

thanks axe. yeah I'm going to be doing a few things over again with this song. Just trying to plan it out a bit more with some annonymous reactions as an input source. Edit the instruments to make them tighter? Do you mean to better capture the performance, redo some tracks? Can you clarify this? We are a band just starting to record ourselves so all of our playing together, which can be real tight at times, is very diferent than capturing each performance seperately (because of my limited space/setup). So yeah sometimes we're off... this song has potential I think but it just needs work.

Out of the two songs I posted...the first one "Just wait" and this one, this one is almost totally untouched where as the other one has been a slow brew project for the last several months! so ...based off the feedback and responses I received from the first, I thought I'd give a "new" project a try....see what I can make of it based on the feedback here.

Tetness...I think I'm going to wait a while before I post any other songs. I kind of have my work cut out for me for a while. I would like to hear some more of your songs as well. You could always PM me if you want to exchange a few tunes...
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Nut

I just mean to edit the timing on a couple of places, especially the violin. And perhaps a shorter (and maybe not pizzicato) solo. Other than that it´s nice.

Oh, I forgot. I like the singer. I don´t know why but with his voice early Steely Dan comes to mind...
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

do you guys enjoy the shins? i think you do.

i like how the vocals sound
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Pumadrum: Yes, of course. The shins are great! I love all sorts of "indiebands" these days. Being from Canada, I also really enjoy some relatively lesser-known great singer-songwriters like Hayden and Sarah Harmer- both of whom I recommend if you can find any of their stuff anywhere.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search