www.satellitelot.com
right click to save or click to open

You'd laugh at what I recorded this stuff on. You'll probably laugh anyway :P
Old 5th July 2005
rjx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitelot
You'd laugh at what I recorded this stuff on.
And you recorded everything on?
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Head

This was recorded in Nuendo with a Motu 828 and no microphones that cost more than 150 dollars, using only the 828 pres. Mixed ITB through a pair of broken-in bookshelf speakers from the likes of JLB and B&W consumer. Half the album was mixed in mono, only had one working speaker. Some songs recorded to Otari 1/4" 2 track and bounced to disk multiple times to overdub just for kicks.
Mastered by Adam Ayan at Gateway! Lol.
Probably one of the stranger sounding mixes you've heard yeah?
Old 5th July 2005
rjx
Lives for gear

Great job bro!

What did you use for a vox mic? Did you record everything at home?

I would like to hear what everything would have sounded like tracked and mixed thru state of the art gear since you did a great job with what you did use.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Head

I used AT4041s for pretty much everything...
I used Shure D112 and a few betas for drums along with AT4041s and some of the cheaper Rode large diaphrams for toms.
I used a Korg Triton and a lot of Arturia stuff for the keys, along with the NI B4 (I spend roughly x2 money on soft synths as I do on gear)

One of the funniest parts is that I used a real ****-kicker Behringer rack mixer for a few applications. Every night of tracking with that piece of **** I wanted to slit my wrists.

I got the semi-distorted sibilant vocal sound by bouncing a rough mix from Nuendo onto my Otari machine and dubbing the vocals on the second track. The distortion comes from overloading the "pro-sumer" Otari pres... not too shabby I don't think.

My biggest complaint with the album is that I wish I could've had a really pro setup to mix with... Lots of stuff gets lost. Though Gateway did a superb job of making it sound semi-pro I think.

Thanks for your replies, and anyone reading this: feel free to rip this apart. We already started on the next record, I need help!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search