The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
work in progress...
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

work in progress...

Okay here it goes...I'm very new to this, in fact this is my first "real" recording attempt. Before this song, I would usually just use my little mbox to screw around and help me write songs. Anyways....after I put a bit of time into this with some friends helping me (violin and bass) I decided to start to try and take things to the next level....slowly of course. So, please be kind. The drums are just from Steinberg's Groove Agent everything else was recorded using a beyerdynamic MCE 90 through an ART Tube Studio V3...Except the bass (an accoustic w/pickup) which was plugged directly into the mbox. I use Cubase SX (3) for my DAW...nothing too fancy going on as far as comp or reverb or EQ (you can probably tell) but I would really like to learn, so as I said... here it goes...

(Just Wait- recorded in my Apartment)
Attached Files

just wait (intro).mp3 (5.36 MB, 1251 views)

Last edited by pookyneenee; 5th July 2005 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: more info...
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I don't mean to be over anxious...but I would really love to hear what you have to say about this song! I also don't want to offend anyone on this wonderful forum... my song isn't great BUT I think it has potential. My setup is barely a setup at all: for this song I only used a Mbox an MCE90 and an ART tube Studio V3...that's all I had.

I have recently invested in a Mackie Onyx 1220 as my interface and will slowly be building up a stash of goodies. So anyways, any help or feedback or ANYTHING would be a huge help. I'm a nube but I got heart!
Old 6th July 2005
sound like some hippies jammng in the woods - im a hippy so that aint a bad thing to me, but the faeries didnt sprinkle it in gold dust. it left me feeling glum. i was asking me self: wats he talking about?- lyrics sound hobbled together - like a book with a bad first chapter - u just dont get read.
drum style is from yawn time .
my guess is someone wrote this song when they were slightly depressed or marking time.
i liked it when the verse proper came in, the vioces had a crosby stills quality - then the pitsicato strings crashed in like a notting hill steell band - way too forward in the mix.
as regards the recording it was alright. the word tame springs to mind.
wat would i suggest for a song like that - maybe get rid of the western hippy feel - add a mid eastern drum beat - djembes in something other than four four,
some techno beats goin on way back in the mix. more exotic fiddle.
sorry to sound nego cause you have something nice goin on but it needs sexing up abit.
i dont know if u were looking for feedback on the song or just the recording but thats wat i feel about the package you posted. peace and love.
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I was really hoping to get some feedback/advice on the overal sound quality. How are the vocals? bass? violin? guitar? Is there anything I could do to improve this recording? (other than stylistically sexin it up...cause I think that weighs heavy in the opinion category and I'm mostly just looking for some tech assistance)
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

I really like the song!!!! My girlfriend walked into the room while I was playing the track and said, "Who's this? I like it. I would listen to this."

My comments on the mix: I like the vocal, but the music behind it falls flat. Not very well recorded. The drums seem lifeless. I don't mind them back in the mix, but they don't speak out enough. I think the acoustic guitar sounds too mono. There's a little of muddyness in the low-mids. The bass is boomy and undefined. The pizzicatto strings are not in the pocket. I like the loose feeling of the groove, but it's a little too loose for my taste. Also, you might want to consider playing with your panning more. Listen to Simon and Garfunkel. They pan Simon hard left and Garfunkel hard right. Granted, your song is diffferent, but perhaps it might give you ideas. Coldplay is also good with panning. Listen to The Scientist. A little "pultec air" on the acoustic guitar would be nice. I like the vocal EQ, reminds me of CSN. Teach Your Children Well.

I would love to hear this song properly produced and recorded. Other than that, I want to hear more songs like this. Keep up the good work!!!! thumbsup
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks alot Tetness. Very helpful stuff. I have a couple questions... First, any guidance as to how I could get the pizzicato in the pocket? We use alot of pizzicato in our songs and I'm having some trouble with fitting it properly in the mix.

Next, I'm a total nube so I did a little research about "pultec air"...I'm not in the market for any hardware right now BUT I was wondering if there were any tricks I could pull with VST plugs. I have a full suite of the latest Waves and many other virtual goodies...and would definately look into it if you could recommend anything to help me with some "pultec air"...

Thanks for the advice about panning. I'm going to play around with that idea, and I'm glad you liked the song...I'll post another one once I figure out some of the above... Thanks again!
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

Pultec "air" -- what I mean is boosting 10 or 12 K just a bit to bring out the sparkle, to liven up the track. Use whatever EQ you have. It it's a plug-in, that's fine. Check out the UAD pultec plug-ins. They're not bad.
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

I think it's a cool song. I like your vocals the best. How many tracks are there? It sounds pretty good for the box. I agree that the drums could be a little more out in front. I don't think you should superfically put instrument in the mix just so it fits in a certain genre or not... I would just develop the song with you intuition and influences. I like the plucked violin, but agree that it could be a little more in time. Listen to it solo'd out with the just the drum.

I had a hard time understanding some of the lyrics. Why don't you post them so people can understand your song a bit better. Try maybe adding some delay or reverb on the vocals. I also here a section where there's higher pitched vocal that's a bit more emotive... kind of like the Guess Who or something to stand out.

If I were playing on this I would put a slide guitar solo towards the end, something sort of like a george harrison sound. I also agree that the acoustic could have a little more sparkle.

Tetness, what do you use your Pultec for? Do you use it mainly when tracking, or do you go back and use while you're mixing.

I think the lyrics are cool.
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

I love the sound - and I really like the song. Great vocals! I think the sound is fresh - suits the song and feel/víbe!

I like to hug you .

Cheers!
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Maniac

lyrics

Just Wait
by: Michael Laveck

Got my caravan packed tightly
Walked for miles then set up camp
When the music gets so dirty
No power to run the amp...

It's just past two o'clock, the traffic never stops
Waiting for my check, I never pay the rent...

But it's hard here in this bubble
waiting for a day to come
It's hard here in this troubled world
waiting for a day to come

Tried to find within, got settled down and settled in
Maybe some real good laughs, or just a place to just relax

They're not so different here
No it's all the same
Maybe it's a sport or just a game
It's hard here in this afterlife
When your thoughts have carried you beyond your days

I'll show you my excercise, we stop and close our eyes
Running for the bus, cause it stops and goes and stops again

It's hard here in this bubble
Waiting for a day to come
It's hard here in this troubled world
Waiting for a day to come

...Nonsense dripper wait for supper
I've got me an open door
Oh things are oh so much much better
When you really know for sure

Here are the lyrics. Kind of a fussion between two songs but IMHO it works. We get a good response when we play live. Anyhow thanks for your comments, advice and suggestions. Wallace: would you suggest a slide guitar solo somewhere within the existing song OR redo the structure with an added space for it...? Still working on giving the guitar some air. I'll do what I can and then repost it and see what you think. Thanks again!
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Maniac

There are two tracks for the vocals throughout the song- being one for the main vox and then one for the harmonies...

... BUT I have four tracks for the intro/outro... I doubled up the vocals AND the harmonies and then just dropped the levels a bit on the "second take"...
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace

Tetness, what do you use your Pultec for? Do you use it mainly when tracking, or do you go back and use while you're mixing.
First off. I like the lyrics a lot. Not heavy handed. Free flowing and thought provoking.

I use Pultecs for tracking and mixing. Front end for acoustic guitars and vocals are a must. I have a matched pair coming and will throw those across my mixbuss for certain things.

What I find works for getting a good acoustic guitar souond is using two compressors. Here's my chain: Neve 1073 with a little EQing, into an 1176, then into Mercury 66, for limiting...then a Pultec. I usually attentuate at 100 and boost 12K. Don't get too extreme with EQing and compressing. Better that you have some wiggle room for some changes when mixing. That's what I did on the track that I listed called THE STALKER. It opens with acoustic guitar so you can give it a listen and see if you like it.

My two cents...
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Guru

yea the low mids are messy, and the subs. the mostly mono thing is fine to my ear, if its a choice.

this pass may be:

too compressed-lost ambience
too distorted
too much 1.5k push-vocal on top
too thin where you had that low mid fullness feel

but it's headed in a better direction

send me the full file and i'll do the real thing based on your response this...
Attached Files

Just Wait_3am sample from mp3.MP3 (3.94 MB, 1404 views)

Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Wow. This is heading into a better place. We're still considering doing the whole thing over again with a better set-up. But seeing as it's my first go at recording, I would still like to have a decent, mastered even, version of these early works...

Lucey...could you email or PM me with some specs on how I could work with you on this AND, importantly, a price quote...thanks alot for giving it a go already!

For getting the pizzicato into the pocket...it's there...IF I get rid of that cheezy drum part I inserted into the choruses. I'm just no good with programming drums (even using groovemaster lol) just gotta keep learning...
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookyneenee
Wow. This is heading into a better place. We're still considering doing the whole thing over again with a better set-up. But seeing as it's my first go at recording, I would still like to have a decent, mastered even, version of these early works...

Lucey...could you email or PM me with some specs on how I could work with you on this AND, importantly, a price quote...thanks alot for giving it a go already!

For getting the pizzicato into the pocket...it's there...IF I get rid of that cheezy drum part I inserted into the choruses. I'm just no good with programming drums (even using groovemaster lol) just gotta keep learning...
these tracks are fine if the perfomances are fine .... you just need better mixing ... and probably better monitoring

the low end is always the hardest ... bass traps are a must. 4 of ethan's 'mondo' traps and 4 'mini' traps for any room is probably a good start

i responded to your email with prices and mixing notes last night before doing this pass ... i just need the real files and hit me with that pay pal.
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i responded to your email with prices and mixing notes last night before doing this pass ... i just need the real files and hit me with that pay pal.
cool. got it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search