The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IN THE DISTANCE
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

IN THE DISTANCE

i didn't sing on this one like THE STALKER. My friend and I started this song as a joke. But it kept getting better. Now I have lots of friends asking for copies. My friend who sang on it is NOT a singer, but I like his vibe. I did lots of processing on this one.

I hear this one playing in a funky hotel lobby in a Miami Bar/club or something like that.

Comments would be appreciated.
Attached Files

InTheDistanceMasteredTediRJ.mp3 (4.69 MB, 282 views)

Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I can definitely see this being bought for a movie score. I love the production although it's not really my style. I REALLY love the kick. What processing/chain was used on it? I'm speaking of when it reall drops in at 0:48. It sounds a bit like it's a layer of an acoustic bass drum and an electronic kick. Good job! You have the sound of a very experienced guy. How long have you been in the biz???
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Lots of layering on the drums. I think I layered, sometimes up to four loops on this one. It's all electronic except for the guitar parts, which I recorded through a Mercury V72, with 1073 EQ into Guitar Rig.

It's not my style of music either. But it's fun to be differnt sometimes. Try to think outside the box. For me, this was a song writing engineering departure to say the least.

I'm an experience musician, mainly guitar player and decent singer. Not tons of experience, just good gear and I know how I want it to sound.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

So, how long have you been doing this? Do you have a proper studio at home, or do you go to one outside the house? I doubt you're doing this in a ghetto room, based on the wonderful sound, and the quality of your equipment. If you are working from a home studio, Get some pictures up here!!!
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Here's my studio. Kind of a mess right now. I'm getting a Shadow Hills compressor and some more Pultecs and an LA2A (vintage). Then it will be done. (yeah, right)
Attached Thumbnails
IN THE DISTANCE-studio.jpg  
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Instant thoughts: Fantastic potential in this tune.

My take on it: the frailty and quirkiness of the voice is excellent but a bit too wobbly at times..
I think it would help to bolster it more often, or use a different take/voice at times.
The singer from the Flaming Lips manages this fluttering strain style really well.

It's a great piece, the unique vibe is right, intro lacks magic tho.. The feel, the mood, the lyrics are excellent, most of the track works beautifully and the instrumental refrain is gorgeous (maybe use shape for opening).

I think it could take a little more drama and a little less stop/starting, unless the entry/exit points have more impact.. hope some of this helps

Congratulations, you have a gem, thanks for sharing it.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Do you have any pictures of the tracking space? Nice little setup you have going on there. Suprising, I pictured a fairly large studio, which I hope you take as a compliment. Thanks for the pic.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

As far as his wobbly voice. Well...he's not a singer and I really pulled teeth and did lots of tweaking to get it there. I keep thinking that I should replace his voice with a real singer, but...it's so quirky, I can't get myself to do it. I like it. Your suggestion are well taken. Thank you for taking the time to listen that closely.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavid15
Do you have any pictures of the tracking space? Nice little setup you have going on there. Suprising, I pictured a fairly large studio, which I hope you take as a compliment. Thanks for the pic.
You're looking at the tracking space. There is none. One day, I'll build a nice studio for all this gear.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

That sounds great, especially for the space you're working with. I'm in the same situation right now. Working out of my bed room, all tracking and mixing done in same space. So, how long have you been doing this?
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

I used to have a rather large Pro Tools studio about 6 years ago. But then it left my house and I never got to use it.

This last year or so, I've been getting back into it. Started with Logic, which I LOVE!!!! I've done all this stuff in Logic. My first tunes were disasterous. But then I started to get better.

As far as big studios. For me, small is effective. You don't need lots of gear, just great gear. I can do wonders with a neve pre and an 1176 and a good microphone.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

whoooooooo..... what a NICE little set-up !!

I really like it neve,mercury,pultec,urei....done

and the song is REALLY COOL !! just having my powerbook on my lap outside....will take another listen later with good speakers.......
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Should I cut out the piano opening?
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
As far as big studios. For me, small is effective. You don't need lots of gear, just great gear. I can do wonders with a neve pre and an 1176 and a good microphone.
Nice setup! I find working in those big studios very uncomfortable. Put me in Real World studios and I'll probably end up putting my coffee and analog synths on the top of the console while I set up a little corner with my small mic pre/compressor setup on my laptop :D

I've got exactly the setup you describe (an AMS Neve 1073 and a rev B 1176), what mic are you using?

btw, which Fender Tweed amp do you have in your avatar pict? I'm massively GASing a 1955-1960 Fender Tweed Deluxe (5E3) but lately I've fallen back in love with my Vox AC15TBX (after seeing Daniel Lanois play an amazing gig with an AC30).

BTW, I don't see an audio interface in the pic (maybe I'm just blind), what audio interface/converters are you using?
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Keep the piano intro, but i really think you should have it continue on when the drums and the vocal drop in. Try that, I think it would sound great. Good luck!
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I think the intro could be more distinctive, it does sound pretty and sets a scene for a filmic mood but it made me think I wasn't going to hear anything special.

imo you want the track noticed and a more tingling/ intriguing intro might help that.

maybe you could just tilt the part eg. with an effect, the strange/familiar theme...
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I like the vocals - great vibe! Sounds like a commercial song but with a indie twist, makes it more interesting.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I think DFX Buffer Override would fit the vocals - Check it out, maybe you allready using it?

http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

My favorite home studio photo so far. There are, like, five or six pieces of gear and they're all totally choice. Thatta way...

don't replace the singer. You gotta go with it.

Looks like Lavrys.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral

btw, which Fender Tweed amp do you have in your avatar pict? I'm massively GASing a 1955-1960 Fender Tweed Deluxe (5E3) but lately I've fallen back in love with my Vox AC15TBX (after seeing Daniel Lanois play an amazing gig with an AC30).

BTW, I don't see an audio interface in the pic (maybe I'm just blind), what audio interface/converters are you using?
I collect vintage tweeds. In the picture is my '57 high-powered twin (only 500 made) and my '56 white guard telecaster.

My audio interface is a Lavry blue.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
I think DFX Buffer Override would fit the vocals - Check it out, maybe you allready using it?

http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/
DBX buffer override. Please explain?
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Head

Sounds Good

Everything sounds really good except the vocals. The falsetto notes sound really bad and make the whole production sound amateurish. It sounds like from your posts you really want to keep the vocals but if you really want this singer have him lay the track again, and again... The really high notes he attempts to hit just before the two minute mark sound horrible. This is such a cool sounding track that I think it would almost work nicely with no vocals at all.

bcgood
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I collect vintage tweeds. In the picture is my '57 high-powered twin (only 500 made) and my '56 white guard telecaster.

My audio interface is a Lavry blue.
Nice gear! I saw one of those Tweed Twins on eBay once, it ended up selling for huge $$$

Just curious about one last thing: what mic(s) are you using? Your similar is very spookily similar to what I'm putting together (though I'm leaning towards the Apogee converters)
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Korby Kat67 and Kat251. I forget which I used on his voice. I think the 251. Can't go wrong with Apogee converters. I am going to buy the 16x to help facilitate my anologue summing. That and the Lavry should to it.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
DBX buffer override. Please explain?
The buffer override -

Buffer Override can overcome your host app's audio processing buffer size and then (unsuccessfully) override that new buffer size to be a smaller buffer size. It makes a lot more sense if you just try it out and hear what it does. It can sound like a stuttery vocoder or a stuck beat shuffler or many other delightful things. In certain hosts, you can also "play" Buffer Override via MIDI notes and even sync it to song tempo.

--------------

I think it's a cool plugin and it's for free - you can use automation and get really cool effects on vocals etc. You should try it - it's fun!

Here is a song a friend recorded: he use the effect on the vocals!

http://www.mrpony.com/mr_pony/Mr.Pon...ing.Ayesha.mp3
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

What the hell. I'm going to send this one to Lucey as well.
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Sounds great! Nice set-up by the way... I'm hoping to build up a similar "pocket" studio myself. Excellent gear! It's all you need these days really...of course you can always get more more more.

I really like the sound of your "stalker" song as well.

The delicate sound of the vocals in this one, really make it original IMO. I wouldn't make them too upfront...you've taken them to a real good place.

I like the intro as is. It could flow into the song proper but as it is it works well.

Would you recommend the Korby microphone system? It's a huge investment... do you have all four heads?

Keep it up.

thumbsup thumbsup
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Korby is fantastic! I didn't buy all four heads. I bought the Kat251 and the Kat67. Those were the best sounding heads of the lot.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Very cool...

the vocal sound is what made this song.

What is the chain if you don't mind me asking?

I kind of agree though with the falsetto notes but that just may be your style and what you wanted.

Nice mix.

Jason
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

I put everything on his voice but the kitchen sink. Let me think...

Korby 251/AMS 1073/1176LN/Mercury66/Lavry Blue...into Logic 7...ChanEQ/UAD1176LN/TpDelay/Flanger/St-Delay/RDeEsser...

Then I copied the voice track to another channel and used Mondo Mod and Guitar Rig: Red Hot and Funky.

Then Melodyne 6.0. Lots of tunning and vibrato reduction.

That's it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search